Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Non-generic statues!  (Read 7543 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-generic statues!
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2009, 08:00:21 pm »

P.S. Sociology  isn't a real science, the rest have an uneasy scientific basis, but I'll be trusting biology for now. Chemistry and physics don't tell you enough specifics, whereas psychology gives you too many. Biology tells you the base reason for every action.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:36 pm »

I have no idea why the 40d13 sucks so hard, but it had so many things wrong!
These are unofficial releases for the purpose of testing performance improvements.  There's a total revamp of the keyboard code in progress.  If you have a United States QWERTY, 40D11 has good stability and most of the performance improvements with none of the keyboard problems.  Unless there's even more drastic improvements I'm sticking with it until the army arc is out.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:08:19 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »

huh? Updates? Where?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

But wait... that doesn't mean it's playable by us yet, right? This is just things he's finished that will be available in the next release? The release we can get hasn't changed since Sept. 6 2008, right?

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0

Forsaken - my understanding is that doesn't include all the new developments. It's just everything up to 40d, using OpenGl differently to (theoretically) speed it up. Am I wrong on that note?

You asked "The release we can get hasn't changed since Sept. 6 2008, right?" you didn't say new content. I consider graphical optimization which has helped some people play with 2 or 3 times their normal framerate a significant improvement. So yes, there is a new version. No it does not have more game content than 40d

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2009, 03:05:23 am »

P.S. Sociology  isn't a real science, the rest have an uneasy scientific basis, but I'll be trusting biology for now. Chemistry and physics don't tell you enough specifics, whereas psychology gives you too many. Biology tells you the base reason for every action.

You sir, are either a bad troll or a complete moron. Chemistry and Physics not telling specifics but Psychology does? What? It's the other way around, dude. Hell, I like Psychology, but I have to admit it's not specific enough in many cases. With Physics, if you have enough data and the right equation, you can literally model ANYTHING.  Chemistry isn't quite that precise, but it still tells you specifically how nearly any process functions. Biology is even better at identifying and describing the processes than Chemistry. The odd part? Biochemistry is really well known in theory, but we still haven't come close to detailing just hydrocarbons, much less more complicated biocompounds. Sociology isn't a science? Then what is it, exactly? Do you even know what is is?

Back on topic, I actually shouted for joy when I read the update about statues. I've thought that if you're gonna break save compat, you might as well shove in as much save compat breaking stuff in now while you have a chance.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2009, 05:53:29 am »

You sir, are either a bad troll or a complete moron.

Whenever you find yourself starting a post with that line, I find it's usually best not to bother with the rest of the post. Because if either is true there's no point. You're right, though. Sociology and Psychology are "Social Sciences" and Bio/Chem/Physics are "Physical Sciences", unless I'm mistaken. The latter type deals with concrete laws, the former with trends.

I admittedly didn't take Bio, but when Ro complains about a lack of "specifics" it almost sounds like he's referring to the fact that Chem/Physics questions have variables :P That is the only way I can make sense of it.

What? This topic is about statues? I like statues. Soon I will be savescumming to achieve my dream of a naughty tentacle demon statue in every bedroom.

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2009, 05:55:07 am »

I was going to reply with the same thing :)

You sir, are either a bad troll or a complete moron.

Toady, feel free to break save compatibility.  The only way to add in fun new features would change the game enough to make old saves not work in the new version without some kind of save converting util.  Besides, if you have a save you really like, continue playing it in the old version - the game is small enough to keep more than one copy of it on your computer.  Me?  I have 7 copies of the game, not counting ones on various flash drives, external hard drives, and etc.

Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2009, 06:44:01 am »

If you fill a noble's room with statues of a dwarf being struck down do you think he/she would get the message?
I use goblins in very nice cages to make nobles rooms more expensive.

And I'm sure that lever right outside is just for decoration as well.
Outside?  I could be wrong, but Nobles don't mind pulling levers, when not busy... Nobling.  Place it inside, lock them in.   "Architect of one's own Doom", anyone?

(ICBW, I'm afraid I tend to cherish my nobles, to a sickening extent.)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2009, 08:44:51 am »

There are pages upon pages of this over in suggestions.  There's a pretty solid continuum of opinions, from being able to select exactly what you want, to selecting catagories, to the catagories being chosen by context, to the dwarf doing whatever he damn well pleases, and now to not having descriptions whatsoever. 

If I recall correctly, there was even a poll based on it, as well as someone who dug up all the dev comments on why things were the way they were.

Im not saying no descriptions whatsoever, just that I would rather the interface for this type of thing be fleshed out and smoothed over before we add more random constructions.

How about the statues just have a different set of random objects than engravings?  Statues of squares and clouds or bloated tubers doesnt make sense to me. Hell...that never made sense for engravings either!

What about having two different types of statues, craft statues and Historical Statues.  Historical statues should always have random historical figures, or figures from the current fort.  Craft statues could still be random junk.
I said the same thing in my earlier post, except I called craft statues of random junk "Sculptures"
Kind of like the difference between coffers and bins?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2009, 08:59:09 am »

The goblin cages are really just decorations.  My nobles haven't done anything awful.  My count consort demands crossbows, my countess demands rose gold things, and my mayor demands bags and catapult parts.  Fairly easy stuff.  I have a sinking feeling my tax collector's going to start screaming for clear glass though, and I've completely failed to produce potash somehow..

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2009, 09:18:39 am »

The goblin cages are really just decorations.  My nobles haven't done anything awful.  My count consort demands crossbows, my countess demands rose gold things, and my mayor demands bags and catapult parts.  Fairly easy stuff.  I have a sinking feeling my tax collector's going to start screaming for clear glass though, and I've completely failed to produce potash somehow..
I long ago learnt to review my incoming dwarfs' preferences, prior to pre-departure skill assignation, to ensure that I didn't give the token social skills (pour encourager les autre the initial "omni-noble" job assignment) to the guy who has a preference for adamantine (in a locale without guarantee of HFS), glass (in a sandless place) or anything else particularly tricky (e.g. bismuth, instead of bismuth bronze) that I haven't worked out how I would fulfill a request for, under the circumstances.

Of course, this doesn't help when it comes to immigrant nobles.  Yer pays yer money barters with traders and yer takes yer chances. :)

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2009, 11:13:42 am »

Of course, this doesn't help when it comes to immigrant nobles.  Yer pays yer money barters with traders and yer takes yer chances. :)

Next version, I believe, you get to choose your Baron. Helpful.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2009, 03:16:59 pm »

Next version, I believe, you get to choose your Baron. Helpful.

I'm not sure we will get to choose them whole cloth, but I think we will have some say in the selection process.  We should probably look for Toady's response on that subject
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2009, 03:21:25 pm »

I long ago learnt to review my incoming dwarfs' preferences, prior to pre-departure skill assignation, to ensure that I didn't give the token social skills (pour encourager les autre the initial "omni-noble" job assignment) to the guy who has a preference for adamantine (in a locale without guarantee of HFS), glass (in a sandless place) or anything else particularly tricky (e.g. bismuth, instead of bismuth bronze) that I haven't worked out how I would fulfill a request for, under the circumstances.
My dwarves usually elect a new mayor every year.  I guess there's few outstanding folks in a reclaim crew.

meanjeans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »

My question:

Quote from: meanjeans
But wait... that doesn't mean it's playable by us yet, right? This is just things he's finished that will be available in the next release? The release we can get hasn't changed since Sept. 6 2008, right?

Seems pretty obvious what I was referring to, but anyways, thanks for clarifying...

huh? Updates? Where?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28841.0

Forsaken - my understanding is that doesn't include all the new developments. It's just everything up to 40d, using OpenGl differently to (theoretically) speed it up. Am I wrong on that note?

You asked "The release we can get hasn't changed since Sept. 6 2008, right?" you didn't say new content. I consider graphical optimization which has helped some people play with 2 or 3 times their normal framerate a significant improvement. So yes, there is a new version. No it does not have more game content than 40d
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:54:17 pm by meanjeans »

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2009, 07:30:41 pm »

On the topic of statues, I don't think the specific statues will make a difference, aesthetically, any more than engravings do.  It's just an omega symbol unless you go out of your way to examine it, and if you do that, you'll realize that the decorations on your crossbow bolts (you dirty cheater) and the engravings on your floor are also of groundhogs and laboring and legendary cakes, so it shouldn't hurt.  There's that moment of pain when you're actually placing the thing and the name is thrust into your OCD-contorted face, but I suspect it would be a simple matter to have the objects listed as generic unless you "expand" the list, in the style of cages.

And I for one would be very grateful to have a "commission" or "blueprint" feature in the game, where I could specify material, ingredients, artist and subject matter for a project without the stockpile shenanigans, material forbidding and savescumming that's currently called for in order to get an engineered result.  If I want my best engraver to do the walls of the king's room with battle scenes and horsies, I should be able to write up a contract for that.  If I want to make a suit of steel armor with sapphire bands, then there should be a way for me to order it.  Maybe the craftsdwarf gets paid extra for the work, or he gets an unhappy thought from having his creativity stifled, or he throws a month-long party when he's done, or he goes into an egotistical mood and jacks a bunch of my adamantine to make a statue of himself that'll berserk him if I ever destroy or sell it.  Name your price.
I brake for stumble bumblings
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8