Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Non-generic statues!  (Read 7555 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: Non-generic statues!
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:47 pm »

In my opinion, the debate between random and selected statues could be solved in the future by specifying who the player is.

If the player is one of the dwarves, he could buy a cheese wheel, give it to a mason as a gift, and politely request some statues he would like to see. (and could be ignored if the mason dislikes cheese, or start a grudge if his mother was killed by cheese, ect.)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »

The player will never be a specific dwarf, I don't think. Not in Fortress Mode.

Right now, the ideal (according to Toady, and I'm paraphrasing a lot here) is for the player to sort of represent the authoritative will of the fortress. You represent the official orders that are going on, pretty much, but not the personal whims of any dwarf.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2009, 10:25:15 pm »

When I started this thread, I didn't think it'd last more than a day or two. I return to find heated debates on the virtue of sociology, and a randomness in game design.  :o

My own two cents: I like the ease of selecting "build statue/R" but I still long for the day when I can go to the job manager and specifically request a microcline scepter that menaces with spikes of rose quartz.

(And sociology is totally a science.  :P)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2009, 01:31:35 am »

This is a granite statue of a Square. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On it is an image of a square in Alunite.

"So... you make a cube."
theres a square inside a square, which means it's probably an engraving of a square in a square, etc.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2009, 02:19:06 am »

... or start a grudge if his mother was killed by cheese...

Dwarven deathcheese.

Mmm, lovely...
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2009, 02:32:30 am »

This is a granite statue of a Square. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On it is an image of a square in Alunite.

"So... you make a cube."
theres a square inside a square, which means it's probably an engraving of a square in a square, etc.
It's a square on a square, as statues tend to be in the three dimensions and engravings tend to stay near the second.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2009, 03:27:17 am »

"So... you make a cube."
It's a square on a square, as statues tend to be in the three dimensions and engravings tend to stay near the second.

A square is impossible in three dimensions!, Unless, the designer has cut the stone to the thickness of one atom. It is impossibly sharp too.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2009, 07:14:26 am »

"So... you make a cube."

A square is impossible in three dimensions!, Unless, the designer has cut the stone to the thickness of one atom. It is impossibly sharp too.

You obviously aren't in touch with CTHULHU!!!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2009, 02:40:45 pm »

"So... you make a cube."

no, a HYPERCUBE!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2009, 04:38:20 pm »

"So... you make a cube."

no, a HYPERCUBE!

Isn't that a 4 dimensional object?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:10 pm »

"So... you make a cube."

You obviously aren't in touch with CTHULHU!!!
This is a granite statue of a Square. It's dimensions are unexplainible. All craftdwarfship is of the highest alienization. On it is an image of a square in Alunite.

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2009, 02:07:53 am »

I still long for the day when I can go to the job manager and specifically request a microcline scepter that menaces with spikes of rose quartz.
I think this is the answer, deepening the use of the job manager for specific requests.

Would also be used, for instance, in making things out of specific materials, like bauxite mechanics.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2009, 01:22:20 am »

We could have a menu like the management one where you set up a list of specific statues (and other things?) you want made and then in the course of producing statues they would get done every so often with the dwarf mostly doing what he wants to.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2009, 06:59:25 am »

I still long for the day when I can go to the job manager and specifically request a microcline scepter that menaces with spikes of rose quartz.
I think this is the answer, deepening the use of the job manager for specific requests.
I think, though, that the Nobilic requests of "I want three harps" are supposed to be difficult.  Tasking your <foo>crafters to repeatedly make stone/wood/metal/bone instruments (or whatever materials you can make instruments out of, I forget) hoping that they eventually make harps before the Noble gets impatient (and, ironically, after having chanced to make millions of the darned things out of spare lumps of stone before His/Her Highness decided they wanted some new ones) is part of the deal.  Toady might have to adjust the needs.  "I require three well-crafted stone harps by the end of the month.  None of your masterful nonsense, my good mandwarf.  It's a present for a 3rd-cousin of mine, from one of those provincial outposts on the plains, and I don't want them getting ideas above their station...  I don't care if you're too skilled to make them at that quality, I command you to make it so, even if it means getting an apprentice and starting them from scratch.  And you will be judged responsible for the job, regardless."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2009, 11:38:34 am »

Once again, nobles are dicks. I wonder what elven nobles are like. They probably don't exist because they choke to death on the distasteful EVERYTHING.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8