Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Glass Work Orders  (Read 3268 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Glass Work Orders
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:48:04 am »

It's pretty evident that "Manage work orders" is very, very useful. Except maybe when you're making stuff with Glass.

My fortress has 6 magma glass furnaces for making stuff and 8 regular glass furnaces for sand collection, so whenever I add a work order for producing glass items, they get split up between the magma glass furnaces and the regular glass furnaces, wasting a bunch of my coke and charcoal which I'd rather be using for making steel.

Is there any way to forbid a shop from being used for work orders but still allow tasks to be manually added to it? I suppose technically I could set my regular glass furnaces to allow everybody *but* my glassworkers, but I suspect the tasks would just sit there forever rather than get moved to my magma glass furnaces when they became idle.

Ideally, I'd like to still allow the regular glass furnaces to accept "collect sand" work orders, but I don't think that's going to be possible in this case.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Work Orders
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:56:29 am »

nope, sorry. although... hmm.

With sand collecting does it use the glassmaking labour? If not, you can set the workshop profile of the non-magma smelters to only accept haluers, so even though it will get queued up in all smelters, only the magma smelters will have people with the labours enabled. You can then manually set a repeat order for sand in the hauler-only smelters and all is good.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:11:22 am »

Have you tried filling the queues on the non-magma furnaces with Collect Sand/R orders?

That way they are perpetually in use as long as you don't run out of bags and any manager jobs will go to the magma furnaces.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 11:15:24 am »

I just use alternating /R orders.

Collect Sand
Make Raw Green Glass

Thus, an unlimited supply of green glass for my jewelers. In the case that I need a specific number of a specific item made, I can just order them to produce an equal number of collect sand tasks and make the glass item task. To have workshops stop production I just forbid the workshop. No new tasks can be assigned to it until its reclaimed.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:27:53 am »

Guys you're missing the point. OP, go see what I originally said, lest you miss it for the babbling of these spittle-lipped numpties :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:41:32 am »

Rowanas, I think your idea is flawed. How does the manager deal with jobs assigned but never completed, due to being blocked by a repeating order in the non-magma smelters?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:44:32 am »

Rowanas, I think your idea is flawed. How does the manager deal with jobs assigned but never completed, due to being blocked by a repeating order in the non-magma smelters?

The same way it deals with more jobs than you have space in a workshop for.

If it cannot add jobs to the queue of a particular workshop, then those jobs just sit idle until there is space in a queue for the appropriate workshop type.

This is how I can make masterwork rock furniture while having 50+ masons in my fort building my castle.

The rock block workshops are all full of make rock block /R tasks. There is no more room for any other tasks in these workshops.

The two other workshops are free of all tasks but set to only legendary masons can use them.

All job listings are sent to the two legendary mason workshops, where the legendary masons pick up the jobs and make the furniture because the other queues are full.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:37 am »

You need FOURTEEN glass furnaces to keep your glassmakers busy?  How damned many of them do you have? :o

If you really want to use the job manager for the gather sand tasks, demolish the non-magma furnaces and build magma ones to replace them.  If you don't mind giving up the (relatively) precise control over sand-gathering, just fill the non-magma furnaces with gather sand /r jobs and call it a day.  Either way, there's no need to fight the UI to try to kludge together a solution.

nope, sorry. although... hmm.

With sand collecting does it use the glassmaking labour? If not, you can set the workshop profile of the non-magma smelters to only accept haluers, so even though it will get queued up in all smelters, only the magma smelters will have people with the labours enabled. You can then manually set a repeat order for sand in the hauler-only smelters and all is good.

Gathering sand uses the item-hauling labor.

Guys you're missing the point. OP, go see what I originally said, lest you miss it for the babbling of these spittle-lipped numpties :D

Or he could, you know, read the other responses because they're just as reasonable suggestions as yours, if not more so?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 11:54:18 am by LegacyCWAL »
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 11:48:49 am »

If it cannot add jobs to the queue of a particular workshop, then those jobs just sit idle until there is space in a queue for the appropriate workshop type.

This is how I can make masterwork rock furniture while having 50+ masons in my fort building my castle.

The rock block workshops are all full of make rock block /R tasks. There is no more room for any other tasks in these workshops.

The two other workshops are free of all tasks but set to only legendary masons can use them.

All job listings are sent to the two legendary mason workshops, where the legendary masons pick up the jobs and make the furniture because the other queues are full.

Hyndis you're describing what I recommended.

What I want to know is if you request 20 glass items, and 6 of those jobs go to the non-magma smelters and never complete, do you still get all 20 items? Or do you get 14 and the manager thinks the entire request is unfulfilled forever?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 11:51:48 am »

Or why not just remove the tasks from maybe two of those glass furnaces and fill them with collect sand on repeat? Provided you have enough bags to keep up that is.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 11:54:43 am »

if sand gathering uses the hauling labour then how is my suggestion flawed? He keeps all his glass furnaces, all his labourers keep working and everything runs perfectly smoothly.

In case it wasn't obvious, I was joking about the spittle-lipped numpties.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 12:03:04 pm »

Leaving my regular glass furnaces collecting sand on repeat would quickly use up all of my bags, leaving me nothing to hold milled plants or quarry bush leaves. I currently have 3 legendary glass crafters (and could train some more if needed), so the 6 magma glass furnaces are just for ease of queueing up a large number of tasks (due to having to deal with the regular glass furnaces and not being able to use work orders) and they get cleared out pretty quickly.

I suspect I'm just going to ditch the regular glass furnaces and build some more of the magma variety in the space I had originally prepared (I've got room for up to 36 magma workshops and can expand to fit 48 without having to dig another channel from the magma pipe).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 12:04:50 pm »

No offense taken.

I'm more curious about the behavior of the manager now. I stopped using it awhile back due to issues like this.

The flaw I was questioning was if the non-magma smelters are not filled with sand orders on repeat they would still take jobs from the manager. Since those smelters do not allow actual glassmakers those jobs would go unfulfilled, right?

I guess I could just test it myself but posting on a forum is more palatable to my (real) manager than play testing Dwarf Fort. And my wife is worse than my boss, so I can't playtest for about 10 more hours. ;)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:07:43 pm »

You better pray to Armok that she doesn't read what you just posted. :D

The endless bag issue can be resolved if your magma shops are using the sand as soon as it's made, because then the bags will be empty again when they're needed.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »

Hyndis you're describing what I recommended.

What I want to know is if you request 20 glass items, and 6 of those jobs go to the non-magma smelters and never complete, do you still get all 20 items? Or do you get 14 and the manager thinks the entire request is unfulfilled forever?

if a managed job can't be done, it's canceled and then reassigned using the same algorithm. However, I don't think would work if you forbid your glassmakers from using the glass furnace. The job would get stuck there until you cancel it or allow someone to work at it.
Pages: [1] 2