Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Glass Work Orders  (Read 3230 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass Work Orders
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »

You better pray to Armok that she doesn't read what you just posted. :D

Marriage is just like DF. No way to win, endless ways to lose. Although the losing isn't as much fun.... ;)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »

It's not the winning, it's the taking part pleading for her not to leave that counts :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »

The problem with using repeated R orders is that all your bags can either get taken up with sand, a dwarf wastes 100% of his time gathering sand, or the glass making orders get canceled due to lack of sand.

Using two R commands at one furnace generally works but if the sand is tasked for hauling and there's no other bags it'll still be hauled away.

I've used work orders for sand + item with no normal glass furnaces. For small orders it worked well but trying to queue up 7xNum furnaces or more items won't work. What happens is the collect sand tasks fill up the furnace and the make item ones have no place to go so your dwarves keep trying to queue up collect sand (with no bags) or make item (with no sand).

Basically I find sand a PITA to work with.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 03:08:34 pm »

You can leave suspended jobs in workshops and they'll still block manager jobs from being added to them. So if you're willing to manually track your sandbag availability, you can just leave 10 suspended "collect sand" jobs on repeat in the normal furnaces, and when you need more sand, unsuspend one of them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »

What I want to know is if you request 20 glass items, and 6 of those jobs go to the non-magma smelters and never complete, do you still get all 20 items? Or do you get 14 and the manager thinks the entire request is unfulfilled forever?

They never go to other ones. If the task queue is full the task can never be added. If the workshop is forbidden, no new task can be generated there. If you simply do not have the fuel, the task will be repeatedly generated and canceled until fuel is available (or whatever raw material you may be lacking).

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 11:01:55 pm »

You need FOURTEEN glass furnaces to keep your glassmakers busy?  How damned many of them do you have? :o
Not addressed to me, but I have 18 glass furnaces. Three are for the glassmakers and the rest are for sand collection. It might seem a little excessive, but it allows me to burst sand collection jobs. The inactive furnaces are in an enclosure with a door and are all set to repeat sand collection, and when the bag stockpile starts to look empty I forbid the door and all the jobs hang (they still display 'Collect Sand (R)' but never activate or cancel).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]