Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"  (Read 11755 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:38:42 am »

"Full Graphics Support" is at number 11 in the DF Eternal Suggestion Voting poll.  We can get it in the top 10 with just a few more votes.  This will make Toady more likely to at least look into it, once the current release is out.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:40:13 am by diefortheswarm »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:52:04 am »

Don't do this, please.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:03:02 am »

I am on your side Captaintastic

We shouldn't ever see Vote begging.

If you want people to support Full Graphics Support you should make better suggestions involving it.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:55:26 am »

The only full graphics support I am interested in seeing is more control over what tile is used to represent an object or letter.

Other than that, I think the community is doing a great job of providing varying levels of mods to cater to individual tastes all on their own.

Of course, that could be what 'full graphics support' meant in the first place?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:44 am »

The only full graphics support I am interested in seeing is more control over what tile is used to represent an object or letter.

Of course, that could be what 'full graphics support' meant in the first place?

That's what I've been assuming.  I considered writing my own suggestion, making it more thorough and descriptive.  But while trying to come up with a detailed description of not just the overall goal, but a reasonable implementation as well, I kept running into problems here and there.  (I'm a perfectionist with my design; the problems might have only been minor, but they bugged me.)  So I decided I'd leave the suggestion as is for now, and let Toady worry about the implementation details (assuming he worries about the feature at all in the near future), since he has a better idea of how he wants to design the inner bowels of the program anyway.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:56:56 am »

5. Designated safe area is [resolved] so Full Graphics Support is actually in the 10th spot.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:01 am »

I actually like the graphics as they are now. I rather have gameplay advancements. I think most of us agree.

zagabar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:59:25 pm »

I second that.

The ascii graphics is charming. It is like reading a book. Sure, it takes some week or so to get in to, and I still don't know every letter instantly, but it is well worth it. I don't even see letters anymore, I see images in my mind.

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:00:23 pm »

I vote against this, Acsii is perfect for Dwarf Fortress right now.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:17:14 pm »

Graphics before multithreading would be a big mistake.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 05:18:14 pm »

I personally would like to see a system where everything that exists in the game can be given a graphic (or ASCII tile if you rather), like creatures can now. As the game grows more complex, this would become more and more valuable- I don't mind ASCII, but I'd like to see an end to shared characters; everything should look different.

That said, vote begging is to be condemned and multithreading should be done first, among other more relevant game features.

Toady seems to be the exact opposite of every game developer out there today- he's waiting to do the presentation side until every feature he wants is totally finished and the game is utterly unique. It's sad there isn't more of this attitude, or at least more major developers in the middle.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 05:33:49 pm »

Well i like the tileset, but i can go either way for graphics.
I wouldnt vote for it just for seeing this topic.
(although i never knew there was a poll...)
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:09:21 pm »

I personally don't think any other tiles than the ascii ever do this game justice, because the ASCII represent more than just one thing as graphic tiles mostly don't.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 08:14:30 pm »

No need to ask people to vote something anyway. It is just a suggestion system to begin with after all, and thus it won't automagically get done just because it gets spam voted. What gets coded is entirely up to Toady although he's open to input; realistically for him graphics comes towards the end because it's easier that way.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »

Hippoman : Eternal Suggestion Voting. I'm actually happy I went and clicked it again, because two I voted for have been resolved for next version :) Sparring Weapons and Safe Area FTW.

I have to agree with the general not caring about graphics sentiment. There are so many gameplay improvements I'd rather see first.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9