Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"  (Read 11742 times)

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2009, 01:57:22 pm »

so all this "i like color" stuff is just nonsense, the dwarves base their opinions of the descriptors, or do they magically know what color the icon are?

What I meant is that the creature color descriptors you're talking about were never coupled to the creature tile color.  I wasn't talking about the favorite color stuff.  But yeah, they base their opinions on the descriptors as far as I know.
umm... I see something here.....

Those are used for dyes.

so it looks like all the effort to change what color the icons are has been mistakenly been directed at changing what the dwarf sees.  which is two different things, thus a green chair might have a teal icon or vise versa.
Doesn't that affect preferences though?  I certainly don't want to have to deal with dwarves that like the color A312F3...

Could be solved by "Likes the color Red" being parsed as liking any color with more red than blue/green. Or simply "Likes the color of silver" and he'd like anything with the same color as silver.
is a completely bogus issue.  not that the talk of rainbows and bunnies covered champions haven't been great (and would still be pretty cool for the descriptors).

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2009, 02:23:00 pm »

Only somewhat true...

Currently, things like doors and tables are shown to be the color they should be.  Gold tables are yellow.

Tiles MAY break this, or 0,255,255 could be used as a transparency color that takes on the defined color the dwarf sees (similar to what is happening now with gold tables).

As a separate but related issue, descriptors have a limited number of colors.  These descriptors are the colors assigned to things like rock and metal, and what gets applied.  They are currently limited to a small set of predefined colors (what was being discussed).  IF the colorset is opened up to allow (ascii mode) tables to be more than a few colors, it will mean that dwarfs preferences stop making sense, unless a dwarf has a preference for a broad range of colors (crimson - fire engine, for example).  Even still, it will be a non-trivial system whose only advantage is more colors (in ascii mode or maybe tiles IF transparency is used)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2009, 03:53:41 pm »

IMO, I think we should be able to change the ASCII tiles used as well as use graphics packs for everything, so we can have color-changeable things (various materials) if we want without conflicts.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2009, 05:29:10 pm »

If you're talking like 3D graphics, even mediocre ones, it's just not going to happen. DF is already so complex, it would take HAL to do all the rendering. Anything like THAT will have to wait another decade or so for the next computer revolution.

However, I don't think that isometric graphics are out of the question. It would work well with DF's system of viewing one Z-level at a time. I'm no programmer, but it seems to me that an upgrade to isometric graphics would be a simple enlarging of the grid size and replacement of the (larger) tiles.

However, I vote for gameplay improvement over graphics. Toady One has made it clear that making DF look pretty is not one of his priorities (and I think that's evident, given that the game has not had a single graphics update since release.)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2009, 06:24:44 pm »

I would prefer an official tileset/sprite graphics set.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2009, 06:42:17 pm »

(and I think that's evident, given that the game has not had a single graphics update since release.)

Support for graphics sets was gradually expanded after the first release though, that's an update of sorts.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2009, 12:32:25 am »

Doesn't that affect preferences though?  I certainly don't want to have to deal with dwarves that like the color A312F3...

Could be solved by "Likes the color Red" being parsed as liking any color with more red than blue/green. Or simply "Likes the color of silver" and he'd like anything with the same color as silver.

A more elegant solution might be limiting color preferences to specific game objects whose color is fixed by a statement in the raws. Dimple dye pleases blue-loving dwarves, emerald pleases green-loving dwarves, blood opals please red-loving dwarves, etc.

Instead of reading the actual display color value to determine preference compatibility, items could just be given an optional tag which states what color they are from a limited set for the purposes of dwarf likes, prefstring tie-ins, whatever. If no tag is found, the object's color is unknown and ignored. This makes it a simple matter of busy work for Toady, and then subsequently very accessible to modders.

I should have studied programming. This sounds like a fun problem to work through.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2009, 01:35:44 am »

Muon, that idea is horrible, because it restricts sandboxy-ness rather than allowing you to do more with the game.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 30, 2009, 01:48:21 am »

It wouldn't really be restrictive at all if implemented correctly. It would only restrict or ignore items for which the tag is not present in the raws, and anyone can open the material or object properties up in the raws, add a color tag, and the game would parse that. (assuming the entity/object being edited is of the correct overall type to receive such a tag. Obviously the game would have trouble understanding if you attached a color to a language, or an object which can be made out any one of several different colored materials)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2009, 01:49:53 am »

oh goodie. I get to mod every item in my game to have colour, rather than Toady (armok be with him) doing it much more simply.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 30, 2009, 02:15:55 am »

This states Toady's opinions on graphics.

I'm surprised I haven't seen it cited like 50 times since I joined this forum...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 30, 2009, 09:26:03 am »

It wouldn't really be restrictive at all if implemented correctly. It would only restrict or ignore items for which the tag is not present in the raws, and anyone can open the material or object properties up in the raws, add a color tag, and the game would parse that. (assuming the entity/object being edited is of the correct overall type to receive such a tag. Obviously the game would have trouble understanding if you attached a color to a language, or an object which can be made out any one of several different colored materials)

As long as the color list is raw'd, it works for me.  Especially if it gets tagged to things like culture and symbolism (white is for funerals, red for weddings..... Yay!!)

This states Toady's opinions on graphics.

I'm surprised I haven't seen it cited like 50 times since I joined this forum...
But it doesn't say anything... just 'tiles will be an eventually thing'...  The post is a 'Hey, please make tiles a NOW thing!'...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2009, 02:11:29 pm »

Technically you could do RGB color favoring...  Think of RGB like X,Y,Z coordinates and do a standard Euclidean distance for the three values.  Lower numbers are more favorable.
Code: [Select]
int r1 = color1 >> 16 & 0xFF;
int g1 = color1 >> 8 & 0xFF;
int b1 = color1 & 0xFF;

int r2 = color2 >> 16 & 0xFF;
int g2 = color2 >> 8 & 0xFF;
int b2 = color2 & 0xFF;

float dislike = sqrt((r1 - r2)^2 + (g1 - g2)^2 + (b1 - b2)^2); // aka: distance from favored color

// for the optimistic types:

float favor = 443.405006737633 - sqrt((r1 - r2)^2 + (g1 - g2)^2 + (b1 - b2)^2); //oh no, a magic number!

// "favor" goes up as the color gets closer to their favorite.
  ;D

If someone favors turquoise, the closer a color is to 0x00FFFF the more they will like it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]