Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"  (Read 11741 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 10:03:52 pm »

Come on now.  I want people to play my game.  When you guys get all exclusive, it's bad for me.

So Toady, Should you have to change the game, or should we change the people?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:05 pm »

He is already changing the game.

It is alpha.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 11:20:45 pm »

Um. I'm pretty sure "full graphics support" just means the ability to create and assign tiles to every object in the game, not just creatures.

It'd get rid of the issues with one symbol having multiple objects associated in graphical tilesets (bridge ends and dead trees come to mind) and make it so we wouldn't have to worry about pictures turning up in the middle of text.

I don't see how this has any negative impact on people using ascii.  ???
Just because improved graphics support is available doesn't mean you have to use it.

Or are people just getting mad because Toady's "wasting time" on a feature they don't care about?

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 11:44:38 pm »

All that is being asked for with "Full Graphics Support" is the ability to replace all ASCII symbols with real images.  It will massively increase the player base.

Also I got the idea from Toady's post that he already made up his mind he will do this in the next release.  Thank you Toady.  Soon my brother will actually be able to play.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:49:39 pm by diefortheswarm »

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:29 pm »

Update

"Full Graphics Support" has just been pushed into the number 10 slot.  Thank you to everyone that voted for it.  Now please do not let this topic degrade into a flame war.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »

All that is being asked for with "Full Graphics Support" is the ability to replace all ASCII symbols with real images.  It will massively increase the player base.

How is this different from the tilesets that already exist?

Also, I think Toady's comment was regarding Im_Sparks telling you to leave and never come back. That kind of stuff is bad for business.

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 12:01:12 am »

How is this different from the tilesets that already exist?

Also, I think Toady's comment was regarding Im_Sparks telling you to leave and never come back. That kind of stuff is bad for business.

Right now you can make up a custom tileset that contains your own set of ASCII symbols.  Since many symbols are used for multiple things, you are quite limited.  What this suggestion is asking for is the same flexibility we have with creature images to be expanded to everything else in the game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 12:04:21 am »

I personally like graphics tiles because they don't leave as much black space as with ASCII. It's easier for me to comprehend spatially- and by easier, I mean I can do it quicker, not that I can't do it at all in ASCII or some nonsuch.

And Kinseti, I'm pretty sure 'full graphics support' means the ability to choose a unique graphics tile for EVERYTHING, not just creatures. I guess some people think that making graphics work for everything is going to make the game more appealing to people who don't like to sit down and think, and beckon a biblical plague of 'How do I...' threads. I don't think that's going to be much of a problem, those people probably aren't playing 2D games except bejeweled.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 12:15:23 am »

Alright, that's what I thought it meant. You were being just being pretty vague about what you thought it meant (the fact that "full graphics support" is vague on it's own didn't help).

But yeah, personally I agree with Sensei that the learning curve is a bigger deterrent than the graphics but...ADoM long ago numbed me to the rough edges of ascii.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 12:43:32 am »

I prefer the ASCII because it feels right. It's not confusing. Everything can be explained with [K]

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 12:44:02 am »

Every object in the game should (and probably will have) the possibility to be assigned a unique tile. No I don't know how long that would take to implement and whatnot but it seems like a perfectly reasonable suggestion. I mean, can you imagine trees (and all other objects with their own tiles) not looking what they look like right now in DF and having strictly only letters assigned to them? Yeah that would be horrible right? Great things we have unique tiles for them!
The point is to make the game a little bit more readable, it's not going to ruin the whole experience or anything...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:53:10 am by nagual678 »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 12:50:31 am »

Hippoman : Eternal Suggestion Voting. I'm actually happy I went and clicked it again, because two I voted for have been resolved for next version :) Sparring Weapons and Safe Area FTW.

I have to agree with the general not caring about graphics sentiment. There are so many gameplay improvements I'd rather see first.

Forgot to thank you for this.

Thanks.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 03:44:08 am »

the performance gains are likely to be unimpressive.

No the performance gains are going to be unimpressive guarenteed.

The majority of people, that I am aware of, who are really pulling for Multithreading have frame rates often around 10 with forts smaller then the game normally allows.

So to put this in perspective... 2x0 = 0

If the majority of these people were ones who were pulling maybe 100FPS at the start and once they reach 120 Dwarves on a large map with livestocl they hit 30-20FPS then Multithreading would make a difference.

The real solution, other then to get better computers, is just to write more efficiant codes and to take some options out of the Raws/Hardcode and into the game.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 06:38:45 am »

Quote from: Neonivek
The real solution, other then to get better computers, is just to write more efficiant codes and to take some options out of the Raws/Hardcode and into the game.
Would that really make any difference? How?

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 08:27:55 am »

As far as I can tell, this is not actually Toady reworking the graphics of the game. I was under the impression that "Full Graphics Support" was separating Letter tiles from Graphic tiles, so that you could make custom graphics for each symbol, without messing up the text.
Or, allowing us to create custom symbols for every single item, and allowing custom tiles for custom items... wich would all be good for modders..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9