Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we stop this round and start a new one?

Yes
- 14 (60.9%)
No
- 8 (34.8%)
Other (explain)
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 7 - Game is ended  (Read 56805 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Paranormal Mafia - Round 7 - Game is ended
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:42 am »

This was a nice, quiet resort island. A small place, only a few dozen cottages or so and small general store. It's been a place for people to come and relax for years, free from the stress and worries of their normal lives. However, things have taken a dramatic turn for the worse. A few days ago, there started to be strange signs of cult activity. Hooded figures out on the rocks at night, strange symbols painted onto houses, and rumors of people disappearing. Even worse, strange man-sized pods were discovered empty in a tide pool the other day. They match the description of those doppelgangers that have been all over the tabloids and internet. You started to wonder if cutting your vacation short might be smart.

However, before you could leave, a strange storm surged up around the island. It was unnatural how fast it appeared. The storm has circled the island, with huge waves crashing between the island and the mainland and making the bridge impassable. You're stuck here for as long as that storm rages. The only bright side in all of this is that you seem to be in the eye of the storm, so things are fairly calm. For now, at least. In the meantime, you need to find these cultists and doppelgangers and put a stop to them. By force. You decide to meet in the general store's restaurant area each day and lynch the most suspicious person. It's a brutal system, but it seems to have worked in other places. Maybe it can work for you now.

Ok, day 1 has started! It will go until ~10am Pacific Thursday. There are 3 Doppelgangers and 3 Cultists of the Great Old Ones! Town has to kill all 6 enemies, and each hostile group must kill off everyone else. Aliens do their normal thing, of course. The game will go a maximum of 17 game days before something horrible happens to end everything.

Also, important note: I will be at Comic-Con this week! That means that I will not be around much Wednesday night - Sunday night. I'll try to get on and run things fairly smoothly, but there may be delays. Depending on how things go, I might end up extending the day and night phases for this week. We'll see how it goes. In any case things will get back to normal starting Monday of next week.

Player List
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:17:39 am by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 7 - Day 1 - Vacations always get ruined
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:58 am »

Here are the current rules:

Here is the (current) list of possible roles:

Definitions:
    Doppelganger: These foul creatures kill and eat humans, taking on all of their memories and abilities. Once they have a form, most doppelgagners cannot change again. They are a flawed species, and possess and uncontrollable bloodlust forcing them to kill and eat humans each night. Their goal is to destroy all of the humans in the town and make their way out into the larger world.
    The Cult of the Great Old Ones: A group of Fanatics attempting to summon their Dark Gods to this earth. To do so, they need human sacrifices. With the latest events, they figure doppelgangers and aliens should work just as well. Maybe even better. Each night they get a Night kill, just like the Dopps. They are an anti-town faction, and win when all other groups are dead. This includes Doppelgangers and Aliens. Unlike the other groups, they'll happily kill the Survivor Alien at the end of the game. They can use his blood, too. Although the Survivor will win in a tie if there are three groups left (he'll run away and the others fight it out).
    Night Kill: Any kill that happens during the Night Phase. The Doppelgangers and Cultists each get 1 Night Kill as a group, in addition to any allowed by Roles.
    Morningkill: A morning kill happens between the day and night phase, and cannot be prevented by abilities that prevent night kills. (Such as the Protector)
    Abduction: When a player abducts another player, two things happen. First, the abducted player is role-blocked for the night. Second, that player is removed from play for that night (and possibly the game). While removed, they cannot be the target of any other night action and cannot vote or be lynched during the day. Exceptions: The Paranoid War Vet and Sentry Gun are not role-blocked by an abduction, and will kill the player attempting the abduction.

I've written a perl script to pick roles and whatnot randomly. It has some rules that it follows, but it should make for a nice amount of randomness to the set-up. Note that while I'll generally just go with whatever it spits out, I may make modifications to the set-up in order to make a more interesting game or to test out a specific feature. Also note that I will intentionally mess or not mess with stuff just to screw up anyone depending on the Gambler's Fallacy.

Not all roles are guaranteed. In fact, it's quite possible to have a game with nothing but normal doppelgangers and humans.
There will only be, at most, 2 of any given role per side for Humans and Doppelgangers (other then townsperson, normal doppelganger, and cultist)
There can only be 1 of each Alien Role in a game. An Exterminator can have either an Operative or a Controlled Doppelganger working with him, not both.

General Rules:

Feel free to ask for clarification on any rule.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:50:29 am »

Hey everybody!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:51:36 am »

Oh, one final note. NUKE9.13 is on vacation, and I don't know that he's aware the game has started yet. So he's effectively in a coma until he shows up. So no lynching him until then, since he can't exactly defend himself while he's not here. I added him to the game anyway just because he's previously requested that I stick him in every Paranormal game unless he says otherwise. If he never shows up, then I'll mod-kill him or something.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:54:00 am »

you need to find these cultists and doppelgagners and put a stop to them.

No! Not the DOPPLEGAGNERS!

The opening text is a bit more ambiguous than it usually is. Does this mean we won't be informed of how many dopplegangers or cultists there are?

With town, dopps, aliens, and cultists, that's 4 different groups all vieing for victory. Even more if you count the different goals the aliens have.

Hey Alex, do you still want to go for that MC you were talking about?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:54:27 am »

Good day ToonyMan.  Yay for being almost constantly on a computer?  (I do like the game actually starting during the work day EST rather than at night.)

For the record, I am not a dopp.

Since I don't believe in randomly lynching perfectly innocent people I will vote no lynch for the time being.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 11:54:58 am »

3 dopps and 3 cultist Sir Josh.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 11:56:27 am »

Hehe. Fine, I fixed the typos. Looks like Firefox decided not to spell-check for me that time.

And, yes, there are 3 of each. It's listed down in the notes section instead of the opening paragraph.
Come play Mafia with us!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:57:22 am »

3 dopps and 3 cultist Sir Josh.

This is what I get for not reading everything.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:58:01 am »

Alright, as an experiment, I'm going to try out aggressive Frelock again.  I vote for SniHjen.  Well, newcomer, what do you have to say for yourself?

And Janus, there is no-one who can check the validity of statements made during the day, so saying "I'm a dopp" does nothing.  It also tells us nothing due to the existence of the CotGOO, who are also not dopps.  Could you be a member of this cult, and trying to throw suspicion off yourself with a true statement?
All generalizations are false....including this one.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 12:00:11 pm »

Ah, I forgot about the cult.  I am also not cult-like.  And I guess it doesn't make much difference without a truth-checker, but it does make me feel better.

And just for reference, talking to someone who I essentially was in a last game is rather odd.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 12:00:24 pm »

Hey Alex, do you still want to go for that MC you were talking about?
I'll think about it.  I'm glad about the possible 2 sames roles in the same allignment.

This is looking more and more like IRC faction  :D

I still don't know what the cults are supposed to do so I guess I'll have to read about it...
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »

Cult = second mafia group

Really, that's about it.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:40 pm »

Hell, random votes have always worked in the past

...so I choose A_Fey_Dwarf why should we not think that you are a Doppelganger or Cultist?

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05:56 pm »

Given the island locale, I think more scared of the Cult of the Great Old Ones than I am of dopps.  (flavor wise)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47