Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarvern Shower  (Read 5593 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Dwarvern Shower
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:12:34 pm »

I don't know if this has been done yet, but I have an idea on how to make  a shower for bloody dwarves (or drowning cage if it doesn't work right).
(Side view)
            ______|X|wwwwwww
         | |
         | |
       D :-[ D
          G 

_=Ground
|=Wall
|X|=Floodgate
w=Water
D=Door
 :-[=Dwarf
G=Floor grate

You'd have to attach a lever to the floodgate then open it once you have a bloody dwarf in the "shower". Forbid the use of the 4 doors surrounding the dwarf until the dwarf is "clean". The water should fall through the grate and go to wherever you send it. There is also the possibility of the dwarf drowning if you don't use it right so it should only be used on peasants until it's 100% safe. I havn't tried it yet but I am working on it in my current game. If anyone tries it and it fails or works, please tell me.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarvern Shower
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:19:25 pm »

Showers don't work in DF yet, it just gives them a water coating.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:20:24 pm »

I know it would give them a water coating but would it take the blood off too?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:22:16 pm »

nope, only seasons do that.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:24:09 pm »

Lame, well, I guess I'll just have to remove the floor grate and make it a flood chamber.  :-\

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 11:55:31 pm »

I'm not sure seasons actually do take blood/vomit/mud coverings off of dwarves or their items. Has anyone ever tested that? My dwarves are always covered with all manner of crap any time I look at them. I know blood and vomit get cleaned off the map itself after a season change though.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:40:07 am »

I don't think dwarves lose the stuff covering them every season, seeing as how my champions are still covered in over 3 pages of blood, goo, vomit, water, and other stuff.

It's probably one of the worst things to try to visualize in DF. A dwarf encrusted in so much vomit and blood that he looks more like a bloody booger.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:10:02 am »

Showering isn't dwarfy.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:27:20 am »

nope, only seasons do that.

Seasons? Are you sure? I thought nothing removed miscellaneous coverings off a dwarf, and that all that got auto-cleaned was the environment. The fact that I got blood-covered dwarves who, at least to my knowledge, haven't been near a goblin siege in years, seems to confirm that.

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:32:56 am »

It's probably one of the worst things to try to visualize in DF. A dwarf encrusted in so much vomit and blood that he looks more like a bloody booger.

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower". 

Never mind me, I'll be curled up in this corner shuddering and muttering to myself for a while now...
Well I've finally found a signature

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:18:16 am »

There was another thread which detailed how dwarves got stats.

The vomit gives them a hard outer coating, increasing their effective toughness.

Blood allows oxygen to seep into their skin and outer muscle fiber, increasing their strength.

Water makes them slip and slide all over the place, making dwarves move very fast.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:26:07 am »

And where does mud fit in? I suppose it combines with the vomit to form their hard epidermis, right?

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:36 pm »

You could make a Dwarf Shower. Load some dwarves, soldiers perhaps, into a space with a retractable floor, lead your enemies below that spot and rain hairy death upon your foes!
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 07:58:35 pm »

You can always modify my boiler design to suit your needs.

Link: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1432-boilerconcept

Quite simple. But I use it for aesthetic effect for my project, but I think it could work; just be sure to use a regular door, seeing as this could work constantly, and you don't want any leaks.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 09:19:51 pm »

The need to remove encrusted filth could actually create an interesting new job. We could have washdwarves, whose job is to clean crud off of clothing, while dwarves would tend to wash themselves in any pools designated for bathing. Some of the crud on clothes could come off on its own due to a dwarf wading into water, but otherwise they could bring clothes to be laundered. A washdwarf would operate at a wash pit, a special kind of workshop, and could clean clothes somewhat using water. For getting out the real tough stuff though they would need soap, a bar of which would, I think, last for a few washes.

Of course a job like that probably wouldn't be practical without an improvement to the hauling system, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

As far as bathing goes, it might be most realistic for most coverings to disappear on their own over time, but an animal like a cat would bathe at any opportunity.
Pages: [1] 2