Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dexter  (Read 1807 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dexter
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:28:41 am »

This morning, I took to doing something I don't usually do, and I watched TV. TV's exceptionally dull however, so I turned to the on-demand menu that my Charter Service offers me.

Going to the showtime section, I see an advertised show called "Dexter" that looks interesting. It's already has 3 seasons, and each episode is over 50 minutes in length.

Apparently, this show is about a crime scene blood splatter analyst type person that is also a vigilante serial killer that makes it his job to kill those that he personally deems unworthy of life. He targets people that are responsible for the deaths of others mainly.

The show parades him around as this very intellectual, hannibal lector-level murderer, but the show's pace seems hectic to say the least. The focus changes from Dexter's murders, to his personal life, to him trying to capture a murderer that apparently puts him to shame. Then we occasionally focus on background characters that I could care less about.

I'm very disappointed at how the actual "murders" are handled. The show leads us to believe that Dexter has everything planned out, but glazes over all the details as Dexter jabs his victim in the neck with a syringe (knocking them out instantly of course, despite that's not how anesthetics work) and we spontaneously segway into his 'judgement' portion, with his victim strapped to a table (with cellophane wrap, oddly enough), and he delivers some one liners before delivering the killing blow.

This is VERY awkward, for example, he somehow abducts someone from the public restroom of a crowded restaurant without anyone noticing, especially odd since his police officer sister was with him at the time...

Then, after he finishes with his murder, how he disposes of the bodies is apparently done through magical means, as he does it without leaving a shred of evidence, and despite the fact that he works in a police station, no one ever files reports for these missing people, nor does anyone ever look for them...

What I'm saying is that the show is throwing in the murders to try to seem interesting as the producers really want to spend all the show's time GUSHING over our main character's past and personal life, which I could care less about, especially the amount of time spent focusing on Dexter's feeble, insecure girlfriend who has no real relevance whatsoever.

I also don't like how, in true American style, NO ONE behaves like normal people. Everyone is a Jerkass that delivers shitty threats and incredibly offensive little speeches whenever someone tries to act civil and humane with them. I could be wrong, of course, if this is how everyone acts in Miami, where the show takes place. That doesn't excuse the frequent flashbacks however, where his father, a respected policeman, treats his son as some sort of murderous monster just because he killed a dog once, and then seems to use this as an excuse to deem his son a hopeless sociopath, and teaches him that killing criminals is perfectly fine...

I'm not sure what to think of this show, it really caught my interest at the start, but it seems to just be faltering inexcusably. Take to mind I've only watched 4 episodes so far, and there's 3 seasons...

Anyone else ever encounter this show?

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Dexter
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 10:38:28 am »

Yeah, actually, I really enjoy this show. I hope you're watching from the start because otherwise it'll make very little sense.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:00:40 am »

I am watching from the start, and it still doesn't make any sense.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:49:05 am »

Crime dramas are the second worst fad in TV.  The only thing worse is the reality show craze.
Shoes...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 10:26:12 am »

If you want to see something more than prolefeed on TV, watch PBS.
!!&!!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »

A really good show to watch is The Wire.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »

I really enjoyed Dexter. And yeah, you are right, it is a bit confusing, but everything becomes clear by time.

If you like motive but do not like storytelling style of show, try the original book (Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay).
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 08:24:47 pm »

My brother used to have parties to watch Dexter. That made two parties a week. :(
Luckily, now he only has parties for UFC fights.
Dexter was never that interesting to me.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 09:34:06 pm »

I really enjoyed Dexter. And yeah, you are right, it is a bit confusing, but everything becomes clear by time.

If you like motive but do not like storytelling style of show, try the original book (Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay).

I heard he starts phoning them in around number 3.
It's the same way I feel  about Nix on the 6th book of the Keys to the Kingdom series.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 03:25:38 pm »

The show IS interesting enough to continue watching, I'll admit. I'm up to episode 8 now.

Still sappy as hell though.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 03:49:46 pm »

I like it... haven't found it that confusing either...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 03:59:50 pm »

My favorite episode is that one in which he sends his sister back in time to prevent himself from opening a dimension gate.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 06:22:10 pm »

What a weird coincidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEOmoWi2Gk

I just start watching Dexter, and they announce they're making a videogame. It looks to be something along the lines of Hitman, a series I enjoyed (except for the ones where you couldn't save...), so I hope it doesn't suck.

That is, if I play it at all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 11:45:19 pm »

I just finished the first season of Dexter, and I liked it. I still get the feeling that Dex is WAY out of his league though.

Will watch the second season, maybe.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 08:39:33 am »

My favorite episode is that one in which he sends his sister back in time to prevent himself from opening a dimension gate.
Wrong Dexter.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.
Pages: [1] 2