Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Long-lived fortresses  (Read 1587 times)

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long-lived fortresses
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:54:14 pm »

So I'm playing a particular fortress right now - large, ~200 dwarves for awhile now (down to 30 fps). I like really long-term fortresses, and I've got some self-imposed restrictions that make it at least slightly interesting. I finally had my first dwarf die of old age - except it was the King Consort, so I'm not sure I'll count it and quit like I'd been meaning to. Guy was no doubt a geezer when he moved in. Nice chap though - it kept telling me he doesn't work, but he hauled items like your average worker dwarf. He'll be missed.

Anyhow, just wondered how long some of your longest fortresses lasted before destruction/boredom tore them down? This one is at 36 years, and because I started it on mostly vanilla DF (before I began experimenting with modding) has very low chance of being ever brought down by natural events.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: Long-lived fortresses
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »

My longest lived fortress was my castle-contest entry from a old, old thread.

lasted a good 12 years, never got farther than a dungeon master though.

The horrid history there scared them all away.
I recall a massive amount of dead dwarves.
Incidentally, it was my first experience with orcs.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:36 pm »

the orc mod was That generous O.o
Hello Hunam

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:45:55 pm »

Heheh.
If by generous you mean nearly fcking killed my entire fort multiple times, then yes!

1st, expecting orcs to be exactly like gobbo's - Killed all but a few due to a lucky mason making a wall.

2nd, killed a few, well liked dwarves, led to a tantrum spiral. All but 1 dwarf wasn't insane, and migrants arrived mere seconds before a berserker killed him.

3rd, left a bridge that led into the fort through a hole in the barrier wall.

Yes, luck is my strong suit.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:31 pm »

My current fort is around 15 years old, I consider the following milestones for any fort(And what my current one has so far):

First migration wave, young fort(Check)
Made first well(Check)
First siege with goblin leaders, still young(Check)
First children born(Check)
First child born in the fort grew up as worker, average age fort(Check)
Megabeast arrived(Check)
Population cap reached(Not yet)
King arrived(Not yet)
All construction on normal rooms done(Not yet)
Megaproject start(Nope)
King dies of age.(Dont have him)
Megaproject completion, old fort(No)
Any non-historical dwarf dies of age, very old fort.(Nope)
Children born in the fort died of old age, your fort is ancient.(Not by a long shot)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:06:35 pm »

I just started my first Orc Mod fortress.

Of course my first immigrant wave was 10 strong, and I have commenced the SuperDwarf project immedately.

Let's see how the orcs fare if the project survives to completion...

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:33:51 pm »

I just lost my oldest fort at about 12 years. It had been ignored for awhile at 4 years or so, and then I got some projects in mind and continued it with great success (well regarding the projects at least). The reason I lost it is because I decided to play rather loose with the defense aspect. I had only about 10 cage traps, a neglected (but still all champion) military and a tendency to just drill out to the exterior whenever required for project building. In the end I left a flank wide open by accident and some bowgoblins came in via the farms and picked off my poor champions as they tried to rush through the crowd of freaked out dwarves. The ensuing tantrum spiral was pretty sweet, for a little while I thought I'd get out with 4 dwarves of the original 130. A second siege broke that idea though since nobody would pull any #@%^#@ levers with 120 corpses to be hauled and half the surviving population insane.

Now I'm playing a succession game with a friend and alternating years. We're at 4 years and just got the Barony and have plans for at least a quarter centuries worth of labor. Still no mods, though I wish I had tried the orc mod on this one.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:50:02 pm »

Oddly enough, my oldest fort was in 2D. Something like 20 years or so. After a tantrum spiral killed all but five of the ~150 dwarves (and three of the survivors were nobles) I abandoned.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 09:04:02 pm »

The oldest I've ever gotten is ten or eleven. Human aboveground city in a haunted jungle.

The oldest I know of is Flarechannel.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:24:23 pm »

Flarechannel is really damn awesome fortress.

Lashedwines (Morul) is in year 45. No deaths due to old age, almost all due to tantrums (whee!). I can't recall if orcs have taken any lives, but orcs are VERY easy to manage if you pay close attention to things (make sure nobody is outside when the season changes, wait until the 20th before letting anyone out again, make sure you have good ranged defenses - no Morul necessary).

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:07:58 am »

Hadn't seen Flarechannel yet... geez. 100+ years and at a lower FPS than I have - that's some crazy tenacity.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 10:43:41 am »

I'm at 24 years right now on my current fortress.

You can see it at year 20 here: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6458-snaketributes

I'll have another update probably tomorrow. Construction went on hold, delayed for almost 4 years because of the king. He's throwing tantrums daily and I'm trying to keep him alive. I don't think you get a new king.

Dukes and counts are plentiful however. The king seems much happier now that the duke has flung himself into the magma pit.

I'm at about 140 dwaves (popcap 100, childcap 25) right now, with some 30 military dwarves and 30 children/infants.

The castle keep is almost done. I'm just rearranging the rooms so the nobles stop throwing tantrums and flinging themselves into the magma. Amazing how seriously dwarves take epeen.

URIST HAS A FANCIER TOMB THAN ME OMG ARRRRRRRGH  *jumps into magma*

::)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »

I'm just rearranging the rooms so the nobles stop throwing tantrums and flinging themselves into the magma.

Why in the world would you want to do that?

I think in my next fort I'll give all the children royal mausoleums and put a magma pool in each nobles room. Nice day for a swim, guv'nah?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »

I'm on year 20 of vanilla.  Somewhere around 230 dwarves now, I think around 30 have died historically (half of them from brutal hammerings - half my nobles like stuff made out of non-available materials).  Its pretty boring.  Mostly involves seasonally switching from gathering a bunch of food to storing items to harvesting wood to making stuff from wood (including fuel) and repeat.

The last siege I actually tried to set up to have recruits take it on for fun.  But a champion had to get stuck outside and defeat 2 squads single-handedly  ::)  Not much Fun!

The king died when I didn't babysit him well enough and he showed marked stupidity in his removal pattern of walls from a tower (less than a year after he made it in) so I won't get to see how old he was.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 09:18:17 pm »

I once had a Human Fort called Spokenwasp, we survived through every thing,even damn magma,the fort crumbled due to Random Evac of everyone.
Dammit
Pages: [1] 2