Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 609082 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Dwarf Therapist Alpha Release
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 06:51:22 pm »

Hmm. Must be the changes between gcc 4.4.0 and 4.2.3 used in ubuntu 8.04.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 07:56:51 pm »

Some good news for those with issues getting dwarves to load. I think I've figured out what the problem is. I will release a new build with extended logging when I get home tonight.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:08 pm »

new release RC3 with extended logging.
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/downloads/list

This will make pretty big logfiles but they get nuked each run. If you're having trouble loading dwarves please post your log in the google project issue tracker here:
http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/entry

I believe I've fixed a problem with the racial id detection that may have been reading dwarves fine for some of you, but rejecting them as "not a dwarf" due to a stupid error in the code. The new logging will confirm/deny this.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:41 am »

First off I must say that I never used Dwarf Manager.  I always just spent ~30 minutes micromanaging every immigrant wave to make sure I wouldn't need to mess with their labor settings ever again.

But now I must say this is a very impressive program.  With this it looks like I wouldn't need to anymore. 

Anyway I also had the issue with dwarves not showing up.  But that has been fixed for me with the extra logging version.  Even when not technically using dwarves.  It seemed to respond slowly when I scrolled over to see all the hauling labors for the first time, but I imagine that was just loading, since after the first time it worked excellently. So that's not a big thing in my book, and is likely unavoidable.

As a side note, more logging is right, I don't think I ever saw a 4500 KB text file before. :) 

Nice work dude.

P.S. Windows Vista for reference.  So if it helps it works even under a notoriously unruly OS.  Vista just bugs me to make sure I want to run it like everything else does.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 01:04:20 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 01:18:03 am »

New release works for me. Thanks.

Are you planning on adding military skills?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 02:20:03 am »

First off I must say that I never used Dwarf Manager.  I always just spent ~30 minutes micromanaging every immigrant wave to make sure I wouldn't need to mess with their labor settings ever again.

But now I must say this is a very impressive program.  With this it looks like I wouldn't need to anymore. 

Anyway I also had the issue with dwarves not showing up.  But that has been fixed for me with the extra logging version.  Even when not technically using dwarves.  It seemed to respond slowly when I scrolled over to see all the hauling labors for the first time, but I imagine that was just loading, since after the first time it worked excellently. So that's not a big thing in my book, and is likely unavoidable.

As a side note, more logging is right, I don't think I ever saw a 4500 KB text file before. :) 

Nice work dude.

P.S. Windows Vista for reference.  So if it helps it works even under a notoriously unruly OS.  Vista just bugs me to make sure I want to run it like everything else does.

Yea I wanted to be sure if there were any more problems, I'd have a metric ton of text to sift through for the problem :) Some slowness is most definitely from the extra logging. I'll be sure to remove that now that the dwarf reading seems more reliable.

I'm very happy that you like it. Managing those waves of 20+ guys gets very annoying. And I'm glad Vista is working for you.

New release works for me. Thanks.

Are you planning on adding military skills?
Glad it's fixed, I'll close out your bug. Yes there are several planned features for the next release, military handling is one of them. Including setting number of weapons, main weapon skill, and armor level. Feel free to add feature requests the same way you added bugs, and I'll make sure to prioritize community requests over my own weird dreams of features :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 03:09:56 am »

Hm... As an extra feature, it would be nice to be able to see dwarves' data (personal info like tastes etc., relations screen and kills list) and probably if it's possible to have it in 1 window with a few panels (so you could check your dwarves' info faster and in a separate window). This would make it even more appealing to me and those who want improved interface.

An export option would be nice too. I may like to print all my dwarves' preferences in a text file and to look at it from time to time when I drink tea for example :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 05:05:30 pm »

Dammit, that looks really nice. Good job! Looks like I'll need to pimp DM a bit more.
Let the software competition begin ;)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 05:10:20 pm »

Dammit, that looks really nice. Good job! Looks like I'll need to pimp DM a bit more.
Let the software competition begin ;)
Ahh hey there man! Couldn't have done it without your app (see the README.txt) :)

You know what would rule, is to use a common backend for memory access to DF. One of my major goals was to do this in C++ for easier porting to the other platforms. Would you be interested in collaborating on that?

codewright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 05:53:35 pm »

Oh sure, collaborating is nice. The better the memory structure is known and the more people can quickly determine values for new versions (using nice tools and unified access models) the more and better tools can be built and kept up-to-date. I mean, in the end it's still hacking and some access-lib from Toady Himself would be preferable, but I guess thats too much to ask for.

I wonder why you switched the memory layout from xml to separate ini files. I do see an advantage in having separate files, when it comes to updating, but with one file you can reduce the definitions drastically to only new or changed values. On the other hand, it makes updating a bit more cumbersome because you need to edit a file, but that can be solved by either some little tooling support ("paste XML fragment/values here") or even by some update mechanism. Or by simply providing an updated file. It's not like they'll get larger than a single page in this forum anytime soon.

I think the basis for a unified access lib is a unified memory layout description model. So we might start there with discussions and stuff ;)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 06:25:22 pm »

Oh sure, collaborating is nice. The better the memory structure is known and the more people can quickly determine values for new versions (using nice tools and unified access models) the more and better tools can be built and kept up-to-date. I mean, in the end it's still hacking and some access-lib from Toady Himself would be preferable, but I guess thats too much to ask for.
Yeah but finding this stuff is half the fun. It's like a coding scavenger hunt. :)

I wonder why you switched the memory layout from xml to separate ini files. I do see an advantage in having separate files, when it comes to updating, but with one file you can reduce the definitions drastically to only new or changed values. On the other hand, it makes updating a bit more cumbersome because you need to edit a file, but that can be solved by either some little tooling support ("paste XML fragment/values here") or even by some update mechanism. Or by simply providing an updated file. It's not like they'll get larger than a single page in this forum anytime soon.
Well my main reason was laziness. I hate XML parsing. Even when there are "easy tools" around. Qt's QSettings class works great on ini files, so I just used that engine. The lack of inheritance is a bit of a bummer, but I kind of like how easy they are to see in a directory and know which versions are supported. I could go either way, but I like the simplicity of barely-marked up text.

I think the basis for a unified access lib is a unified memory layout description model. So we might start there with discussions and stuff ;)
I would love to talk more about it, but probably not in this thread. I would wager over 99% of the people here couldn't care less how we get at the memory. We should start a new topic about a common memory raperbackend.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:32 pm »

I don't know if this is the right place to make a suggestion, but it's something I suggested for DM as well:
Ability to mark animals for slaughter. I hate having to track down every last puppy or kitten to mark for slaughter. Added bonus would be being able to mark pets, visitors (Elf leather crafts, anyone?), and nobles for slaughter.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:12 pm »

I don't know if this is the right place to make a suggestion, but it's something I suggested for DM as well:
Ability to mark animals for slaughter. I hate having to track down every last puppy or kitten to mark for slaughter. Added bonus would be being able to mark pets, visitors (Elf leather crafts, anyone?), and nobles for slaughter.
please put feature requests here http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/entry. That way you'll see progress and discussion as the project moves, and it won't get lost in a forum thread :)

As for the idea. I like it. I also hate sifting through 120 cats to find some to slaughter. It would require finding the racial ids of slaughterable animals, but it could be done.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 07:05:44 pm »

i suggest adding a panzerfaust with 10 second recharge.

wait...am i in the right forum? meh, screw it.

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2009, 07:09:10 pm »

Have you tried penning your livestock? I do this. Helps FPS issues, but more importantly you always know where they are. Once you get a good yearly/seasonal rotation you always know who's final supper is coming up and where to find them. This makes using the v + mark for slaughter method in game very simple to use IMO.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 124