Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)  (Read 607654 times)

chmod

• Bay Watcher
  • I get by with a little help from my friends
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.5.7 7/13/10 see first post)
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:39:37 pm »

Newest info: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
Previous newest info: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:49:35 pm by Toady One »

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist Alpha Release
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:35 am »

This is awesome. The expand/collapse mechanic alone makes it better than DM.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:37:53 am »

This is awesome. The expand/collapse mechanic alone makes it better than DM.

i agree. i was worried when DM wasnt working on D13 as my fort had reached 150 and i wanted to set up professions better.

just found this today and as soon as i loaded it up i had my dwarves being much more efficient than in days past =P

Excellent program and at a good time too.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 02:10:21 am »

Hmm, two bugs already. It doesn't read the dwarves from a 40d11(mayday if that's relevant). It connects fine (Says so) but the "Get dwarves" button does nothing.

Tried it on a vanilla 40d13 and the names are screwed up a little bit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:18:30 am »

Thanks for trying it out guys!

Hmm, two bugs already. It doesn't read the dwarves from a 40d11(mayday if that's relevant). It connects fine (Says so) but the "Get dwarves" button does nothing.

Tried it on a vanilla 40d13 and the names are screwed up a little bit.

eduren can you file a bug report here http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/issues/entry  with a log from trying to run against 40d11? I basically built this whole thing using the mayday d11 pack, so it's crazy it doesn't work for you. I'd love to see that log, also maybe a copy of your fort to test with if it continues not to work.

re: 40d13 names, I haven't seen that one yet. What OS are you on? And have you changed any of the windows fonts?

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:36 am »

re: 40d13 names, I haven't seen that one yet. What OS are you on? And have you changed any of the windows fonts?

Windows Xp (MCE), and no.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Report filed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:48:38 am by eduren »

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 03:03:57 am »

I've been testing this with mod for a while, WinXP using mayday 40d11 and never saw any behavior like that.
Not really sure why/if media center edition would cause any weirdness like that.
Pretty weird though.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 05:43:33 am »

Oooh, DM mk2 (so to speak). I'm especially digging the persistant custom professions. Gonna try this one tonight.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 06:46:03 am »

Hi, I'm working on a related project called khazad (check my sig), mostly writing the memory reader backend. It works in both Windows and Linux right now and it's meant to be a library for df memory access.
I checked out your code to see if there's stuff that could be merged and to see if I can get it to compile. Opening the .pro file left me with a mostly empty project... so that will need some work apparently.

Scanning through the code I found lots of Qt specific containers used. In khazad, I'm not using QT. So, no merging of backends is possible right now.

One quite bad problem is that stl strings on linux are just a pointer unlike MS stl strings, which have 16B of space reserved inside the object. Reading them is easy enough (dereference, read C string), but writing involves possibly injecting code into the debugged process to destroy the old string and allocate a new one. Not easy. Right now, writing to strings would be limited by how much space is already allocated for them.

Anyway, check out the DF Extractor part of khazad and tell me what you think or what is missing if it were to be used as the DF access backend.

Edit:
I made qtcreator load the .pro file by changing all the '\' in paths into '/'.
Lots of windows-specific code.
libqxt as a dependency... I can't make it compile without fixing it by hand. Most users won't have it in repositories I think.
DF extractor - or libdfhack, that's a nice name - will need something to track objects and provide read/write access. I have this in my TODO list. Currently, there's just one-shot map extraction and reading of strings and vectors... stuff that was needed in khazad.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 01:13:10 pm by peterix »

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 07:23:12 am »

This looks brilliant, although I won't be testing it since my dwarf fortress is on Linux :P I was wondering if the profession names could be slanted because reading downwards is difficult for me.

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 01:53:09 pm »

Hi, I'm working on a related project called khazad (check my sig), mostly writing the memory reader backend. It works in both Windows and Linux right now and it's meant to be a library for df memory access.
I checked out your code to see if there's stuff that could be merged and to see if I can get it to compile. Opening the .pro file left me with a mostly empty project... so that will need some work apparently.

Scanning through the code I found lots of Qt specific containers used. In khazad, I'm not using QT. So, no merging of backends is possible right now.

Khazad looks awesome. Nice work! Sharing a common backend for reading/writing data to DF would be awesome. I chose to use mostly Qt-based data structures in the hopes of keeping some portability. And yes this version is rife with windows code. However almost all of it is contained in the DFInstance class. Which could hopefully be made abstract, and then subclassed per platform.

One quite bad problem is that stl strings on linux are just a pointer unlike MS stl strings, which have 16B of space reserved inside the object. Reading them is easy enough (dereference, read C string), but writing involves possibly injecting code into the debugged process to destroy the old string and allocate a new one. Not easy. Right now, writing to strings would be limited by how much space is already allocated for them.

Anyway, check out the DF Extractor part of khazad and tell me what you think or what is missing if it were to be used as the DF access backend.
This is something I know very little about. I could grab a linux VM and try to build it for linux, which would at least get it building and be a good start. The direct memory access is shaky at best, and I think most users realize that. Hey, at least it's in C++ :)

Edit:
I made qtcreator load the .pro file by changing all the '\' in paths into '/'.
Lots of windows-specific code.
libqxt as a dependency... I can't make it compile without fixing it by hand. Most users won't have it in repositories I think.
DF extractor - or libdfhack, that's a nice name - will need something to track objects and provide read/write access. I have this in my TODO list. Currently, there's just one-shot map extraction and reading of strings and vectors... stuff that was needed in khazad.
That .pro file is horribly out of date. I will fix it up so it makes a sane Makefile for linux. I also haven't tried compiling libqxt for linux, but I assumed they would make it as compatible as regular Qt. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for checking it out peterix!

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 01:54:26 pm »

This looks brilliant, although I won't be testing it since my dwarf fortress is on Linux :P I was wondering if the profession names could be slanted because reading downwards is difficult for me.
I tried doing the slanted labor names, and thought it looked pretty bad. Even with anti-aliasing it just looked a bit crappy. You can single click the labor headers to popup guide-lines, which I think is better anyways. Also the tool tips, and status tips should let you know which labor you're on.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 02:08:58 pm »

I am running 40d11, with the Civilisation Forge and Orc mods installed. I have Mayday graphics. And when I run this utility, I cannot see anything, just like one of the above posters. It seems to acknowledge that I have DF running ( that butto nis greyed out) but when I press Read Dwarves it just has a blank screen.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »

Did a little bit more research. libqxt isn't packaged... anywhere. The build script that is in AUR (arch linux user repository) is seriously outdated. I had to write my own to make it get version 0.5 instead of 0.3. Still doesn't compile. Gcc started checking and rejecting some ugly constructions used in a lot of older code, so that's probably why.

Couldn't find it packaged in Ubuntu - there's only a bug report. That means it's not in debian too. Quick googling for libqxt in other major distros turned up nothing (OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.). Also, the sourceforge and libqxt.org sites are out of sync. I'm for butchering this thing. Just get the logger stuff out of it and integrate it into the codebase directly.

Edit: made it compile by omitting some database related stuff. Let's see how far I'll get now :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 05:57:29 pm by peterix »

chmod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • UDP Viper
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 06:45:45 pm »

Did a little bit more research. libqxt isn't packaged... anywhere. The build script that is in AUR (arch linux user repository) is seriously outdated. I had to write my own to make it get version 0.5 instead of 0.3. Still doesn't compile. Gcc started checking and rejecting some ugly constructions used in a lot of older code, so that's probably why.

Couldn't find it packaged in Ubuntu - there's only a bug report. That means it's not in debian too. Quick googling for libqxt in other major distros turned up nothing (OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.). Also, the sourceforge and libqxt.org sites are out of sync. I'm for butchering this thing. Just get the logger stuff out of it and integrate it into the codebase directly.

Edit: made it compile by omitting some database related stuff. Let's see how far I'll get now :)
I just grabbed an Ubuntu 8.04 deskop vmware image. apt-get install libqt4-dev seemed to bring in all the qt4 that I needed. I then just grabbed the libqxt-0.5.0 tarball from libqxt.org. Ran qmake, then make on it, and it built fine. It's been a few years since I did any dev on linux so I'm a bit slow, but compiling qxt from source seemed fairly easy (but I know it sucks to diverge from your package system if you use it a lot).

The only other dep is on http://www.qtsoftware.com/products/appdev/add-on-products/catalog/4/Widgets/qtcolorpicker for the color customizations. It also compiled for me on linux. I'll try to get a better .pro file with these changes in soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 124