Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Moclem: A Threetoe Story  (Read 42623 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Moclem: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 07:23:27 pm »

You have to be kidding me.  No man hates cyclopes.

Indeed.  I spoke too soon.  If your settlement is attacked enough times by a mega-beast, they will start to worship it.  Maybe it could be like Moclem in a way, where the villagers start asking the creature to answer their dark prayers and do something wicked.

I do have a question about some of this Megabeast worshipping.
Why, if this thing has been killing many of your dwarves, would they worship it?

I mean, I can kind of understand but I am still a little bit confused.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50:00 pm »

The actual worshipping takes generations to develop.  It starts as superstitions meant to keep the attacker away.  Then, as the customs are passed down, the worship level goes up.  It can only go up, but takes a long time.  So in the end, the mega-beast goes from bogeyman to god.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:52:28 pm by ThreeToe »
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 07:51:17 pm »

Will it stop killing the worshipers? Or will they give him sacrifices. Or will he just keep attacking and get attacked in return? Does this happen during regular gaming?

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 08:09:08 pm »

Nah, right now they keep attacking.  There was one world we generated where a hero fought against a titan seven times, then started worshiping it, but continued to fight it.  Adventure mode/world generation needs a lot of work, but if we don’t plan for the future- the future will pass us by.  I think mega-beasts with more depth is a step in the right direction.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 08:12:50 pm »

Hm, just how intelligent are megabeasts anyway? Do they become more intelligent as they get more worshiped, or is their position as a god purely 'social' status and not actual godhood? Also are more types of megabeasts going in next update?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 08:13:12 pm »

Thanks Threetoe. And happy birthday.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 08:20:33 pm »

Thanks Threetoe. And happy birthday.

Oh, wow, you're right! It is.

Happy birthday, Threetoe!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:24:16 pm by Thursday Postal »

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »

I think the intelligence will vary from monster to monster, and will be able to be changed and modded.  Having them gain wisdom as the years roll on sounds cool too.

And thanks, I’m waiting for the Toad to get here so we can party hardy!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 08:29:00 pm »

Where do you and Toady get some of the inspiration for the game from?

Like books, movies, games, etc etc.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:16 pm »

I think my first introduction to fantasy was the Time Life Enchanted World series.  After the volume on ghosts I couldn’t sleep for a week.  Have to thank Tolkien of course.  Also must have owned every AD&D book in existence.  Ray Harryhausen is responsible for much inspiration, and as someone guessed earlier, so is the Discovery Channel.  As for as games go, we have to blame the rogue-like family of course, as well as the Ultima series.

Brother has arrived- Threetoe Out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 05:05:40 pm »

Sorry for arriving a bit late, but having specific megabeast behaviour sounds awesome.  While some megabeasts would be content to just hide in a cave for all their life killing stuff (possibly Giants and Cyclopses) others would do other things.  For instance, dragons typically amass vast hordes of gold, silver, gems, or anything worthwhile, and then fly up to a high nest to lay their eggs and watch over the landscape.  It would be awesome if dragons could sortof gravitate towards tall mountains, so when you arrive as an adventure you have to climb up.  I'm aware that dragons will be able to fly above you and breath fire on you at some point, which sounds good, and perhaps the dragon could keep doing this as you ascend.  However, when you get to its egg, the dragon will drop down and engage you in a face to face fight to protect its egg.  If you kill the dragon, you could get its horde (or as much of it as you can carry, anyway) and its egg (magical properties?) as a reward.  Yep, new megabeast behaviour could be awesome.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 11:05:07 pm »

Indeed.  I spoke too soon.  If your settlement is attacked enough times by a mega-beast, they will start to worship it.  Maybe it could be like Moclem in a way, where the villagers start asking the creature to answer their dark prayers and do something wicked.

And No man has gouged out his eye with a heated stake and stolen his ewes as well.  No man has insulted him, and now No man must pay.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 06:43:17 pm »

And No man has gouged out his eye with a heated stake and stolen his ewes as well.  No man has insulted him, and now No man must pay.

Brilliant :)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »

Wow, out traveling for a few weeks and I almost missed this.  Glad to see another TT story up, and enjoyed it greatly.  I particularly liked the monsters personality and how we saw a little bit of the nasty side of mega-beast worship taking hold in the town.  verilly, each tale ascends to new heights!  well written all around!

No Man indeed, well witted sir!

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2009, 02:08:00 am »

J_ C_.

Would you believe i didn't catch that till just now?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4