Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Short-term suggestion: Dwarves randomly rearrange furniture  (Read 2324 times)

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if this is short-term, and it's mostly just for show.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Short-term suggestion: Dwarves randomly rearrange furniture
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:50:02 pm »

I think I'd have to ask: Why?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 06:57:37 pm »

No particular reason, it'd just give dwarves with no jobs something to do.
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:00:38 pm »

They already socialize, and I don't see why work should be done giving them nonsense busywork instead of coding in legitimate stuff for them to do, like more social or entertainment/recreational things.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 07:20:21 pm »

Meh, at some point i would like them to be able to buy/upgrade funiture for themselvs. But that has already been discussed at length before...
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 03:13:48 am »

It would add more life to the game. And make the game more spontaneous

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 08:02:39 am »

Well done Urist McFucknut, you've moved the chair away from the table and then had a tantrum because of lack of chairs while you eat.

NO.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Seryntas

• Bay Watcher
  • has created a masterpiece!
    • View Profile
    • RPGWW Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:45:19 pm »

Yeah, no thanks.  I'm pretty anal about furniture placement, to the point of increasing the size of a barracks to make the furniture placement symmetrical.
"Nectar and ambrosia are all the gods are allowed to eat in Greek mythology. In that way they're kind of like pandas. You know, in diet. From there the similarities break down." -my Greek Lit TA

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 01:03:12 pm »

I'm nearly always in favor of greater dwarven autonomy, so yeah, this'd be cool.  It should be personality-dependent of course -- some dwarves should be fussier about their belongings than others.

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 01:08:32 pm »

In their own rooms: Sure!
Anywhere else: No thanks.

Especially if we can get the arrangements personality based. Military dwarves will put weapon racks next to the bed (under the pillow? :)), show-off dwarves put their valuable stuff at the entrance and leave the door open, etc.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:48:36 am »

If a dwarf moves something outside of their room they should be punished and the moved furniture put back.
Well done Urist McFucknut, you've moved the chair away from the table and then had a tantrum because of lack of chairs while you eat.
And the dwarves would have to have the intelligence to move any chairs beside the table to begin with to the table when it's moved.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 02:04:45 am »

NO.

This. This will happen. You can NOT allow buildings in a fortress to be affected by random variables; I thought having it random which side of your fortifications they stand on was evil enough?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 02:47:29 am »

I agree with in their OWN rooms, but NOWHERE else, otherwise the previously mentioned dining room problems may occur. Also, I think it should be according to their personalities, although combined with mental issues that could be implemented, it'll make our fortresses more fun. Imagine an OCD dwarf, constantly rearranging his furniture....

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 01:04:44 am »

Ah, but what about their own dining rooms and offices, which are often also dining rooms, and occasionally shared with other dwarves?

I'm going to have to argue against this. It would take a lot of code to make it work at all, and it'd still just be a whole lot of pointless pathing, that makes dwarves even more stupid and crazy than they already are.

Even a self furnishing dwarf should arrange his furniture according to some sort of logical pattern, instead of just spattering it all willy nilly. In fact, if dwarves start buying their own furniture (Money sink! Yes!), I'd like the ability to arrange it for them. --preferably, before they're allowed to buy it, I have to approve it's zoning.

What's wrong with dwarves renting furnished apartments?

The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 01:43:35 am »

I don't mind this idea, might be interesting.

If it is implemented you'd have to have poltergeists that move the furniture around either while dwarves are in the room or to surprise them when they return to the room, should give a bad thought.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2