Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 11)  (Read 1824 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 11)
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2024, 09:40:37 pm »

Hehe.

Web, to practice and learn their forum mechanics and their styles...

I joined one of their turbo games, happened to be anonymous, so everyone playing expected, I think, pros.  The mod made sure I knew going in basically what I was getting into, I made sure the mod knew I wasn't 'lost', but I was newest of the new for them.

14 minute days, 3 minute nights, 13 players, 3 scum.

The game went to D6 and had 659 posts made during play, including votecounts and other offical stuff.

I was the D3 elim and managed to make 12 posts the entire game, a few in the scum thread too... yeah.  I roled scum joat and finally had a team, not that I had any time to talk to them.... no.  They had plenty of time to talk.

These people are greased eels, those that are not lightning incarnate.

In 96 minutes, these people played an absolute slamming game.  There were even 2 new players subbed in, around posts 110 and 140.

The top two posting players had over 90 posts. each, one had over 100.  They even managed to find time for analysis in that blizzard of info overload, as well as jokes, commentary, discussion of days-ago (MINUTES AGO, and flipping multiple PAGES ago... hundreds of posts earlier ago!) posts by players living and dead.

*sighs*  Happily, I don't compete with **these** speedfreaks, I think.  But mainly from folks from side forums, like ours.

These people are scary.

They're the ones you're describing, web.  I'm slow sheeple besides them.

Sadly, my mafia team lost.  I did okay, with high suspicion and label of low-hanging fruit (unsaid until in the spec thread) until I tried to analyze stuff and couldn't keep up; even then half the players wanted someone else dead.  Tie vote, another mafia member tried to rescue me last second and was too slow, vote didn't go through, but showed that it tried.  I was random elim choice (loads of stuff automated there).

My maf member that tried to save me (why?  Nooo... use me and let me die, I'm too slooooooow to help my team... but apparently by the end of D3 they felt I was worth keeping since I made it that far) ....

So he was outed for his visible but useless vote, and he died D4.

But 3rd maf was deeply hidden, and made it to the last day, 3 folks, then was the elim.

For anyone wanting to see me as maf on a team in 'to me unplayable conditions'.... I don't think that'll help anyone read me as team maf in any later game, even there... It's here.  https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/threads/45307-Animal-Crossing-ANON-DoubleJoat13-Turbo/page14  I'm Zucker, we're playing anon and that's the assigned.

Man, I am not in these peoples' leagues.  But at least I have some small idea how to use their forum, and that's one 'gee, clueless' I won't face in the real game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 09:47:09 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2024, 10:36:02 pm »

Yes.  We are snails to them.  However, you'll tend to get a good mix of speeds.  We're actually not really the slowest, either.  There's some forums with multiple week long Days, who have a heck of a time talking.

Regardless, their meta is very much "talk talk talk talk talk talk talk".  They'll talk about everything and nothing, but they talk to talk, but if you get used to their rapid speed, I typically see it as a hindrance to them more than anything.

If you get used to the short posting style, it's actually more easily played, but yeah.

Anyway, don't worry.  They've got fancy vocab terms, and typically use w => wolf => scum and t => town and use that for most things.  Powerwolf, pairing, sheeping, etc.  It's pretty easy to understand after a game, and the fact you survived a Turbo game is astounding.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 07:18:23 am »

Good job jumping in at the deep end. The actual champ game won't be quite as turbo-speed. You can even request what length of game you prefer: 36h/12h, 48h/24h or 72h/24h.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 09:36:04 pm »

So, it's not champs yet, of course.  But this happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's my 7th turbo game.

The first 4 were awful, amazingly painful.

It's starting to get possible to keep up.

These guys love mafia insanely much.  This is today's 3rd turbo game (that I know of) and most of those folks didn't play in this game.  They're voluntarily in deadchat, real time, spectating like crazy, playing in their heads.

And maybe voting, come champs.

I'm trying to set up well!

That's D3 they quote.

D2 I hammered the first maf kill of the game, with 1 second left, right as a strong townie in the last few seconds said 'what if they're a wolf', votes shifted... and they voted to create a 3/3 tie right as I was hammering.  The wolf was a leader, insisting I was town, had been doing so both earlier games of today (we'd been both town both previous games; the first I scumread them, they asked me not to do that again, hehe, I told them 'not for calling me town, but other evidence, yes').

The townie that would have tied if I hadn't shifted, was the night kill.  Would have been my d3 vote, I found their 'what if' followed by an attempt to save very sus.

But now me, who wolf said was town, was the remaining 5's pick.

We talked out of it, and managed to find the second, well-hidden wolf.

Intense games.  I'm so glad I get the chance to have practice there, their forum's quite different from ours in how to post, even, as well as their slang.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 09:41:14 pm by Imp »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2024, 07:45:14 am »

That's really great! The spectator culture is a lot of fun. You'll enjoy reading back what people were saying about your champ game when you get eliminated/the game ends.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2024, 10:25:04 am »

Sounds like you're really putting in the effort. Good luck, make me proud! No longer will the name "Bay 12" be a source of shame in the annals of mafia history. ;P

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2024, 11:31:37 am »

Sounds like you're really putting in the effort. Good luck, make me proud! No longer will the name "Bay 12" be a source of shame in the annals of mafia history. ;P

It never has been!  Nooo!  Tell me who ever said so, and I'll vote 'em right now!

Most of them seem to remember 4maskwolf best, when they heard B12.  I guess 4mask stuck there and got to know them somewhat, I haven't seen that one or any claimed alt yet there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 07:39:53 pm »

4maskwolf is one of the regulars over there. In fact, I was going to suggest reaching out to 4maskwolf for advice. Probably the best Champion that we had.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2024, 02:23:46 am »

This is amusing.  Out of 13 games played there (all turbos, but 2 under anon names at host direction) I've been town 7 times and mafia 6 times.

They're starting to ask why I rand maf so often.  I'm not asking, I bet it's just for turbos, so I can get some practice in!

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2024, 11:16:21 am »

It's because you randed town a lot on bay12 forums so fate is just balancing it out
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2024, 11:18:02 pm »

So, this happened.  We're slotted into the first prelim, April 22.  I did all the stuff asked of us for beforehand, and I can use their forum without accidentally logging out or even deleting my account.

Once they give me my champs role I won't even admit to knowing the game exists except while inside the gameplay thread, cause I'm that deserving of modkills and stuff.

Web, I know you were hoping, but I do intend to both eat and sleep during the game, so I'm afraid I'ma survive it :D

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 04:51:41 am »

There is a spectator channel on the Mafia Universe discord. I can't be there as I'm a backup, but I recommend others to go and cheer Imp on and make bets etc. Someone will post the game thread when it begins.
Pages: 1 [2]