Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Mafia: A Basic Tutorial  (Read 158767 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: Mafia: A Basic Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 05:46:22 am »

good job guys... I'll read it when I have time and see if something else is needed.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 09:14:22 am »

Sticky vote.

derp derp.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:26 am »

Sticky vote.

derp derp.
Already there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 09:36:37 am »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 11:43:50 am »

Alright, I like those pages as well, so I'll add them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 07:32:00 pm »

Attach a link of my post to the OP.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 07:29:20 pm »

Good job. This is great.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:01 am »

How can you tell if someone is a confirmed townie or not? I see this mentioned a lot
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:22 am »

You just need to think about it logically.  Some examples where people become "confirmed":

- An investigative role says he got an innocent result on someone and dies, flipping town.  The detective can't have been lying scum, so he must have got an innocent result on someone.  It's worth noting that the prescence of Godfather roles or naive cops would break this technique
- A player dies and comes back to life, or is allowed to continue speaking after death
- A player claims a killing role in a night with two killings and noone counterclaims.  It's worth noting that they are NOT confirmed if there's the possibility of an SK...
- A player claims a town only role that must be in the game and noone counterclaims

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 11:16:50 am »

When it happens, you WILL know.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 11:56:47 am »

Typically, it is specialized roles and setups that create a truely confirmed townie.

Examples:

For a while, the Paranormal games had a role that could bypass all tricks and truely read one person's alignment.  That person would then claim then request to be killed.  Killing them confirmed that they were that role and were town aligned, making the claim 100% true.  If the claim was that someone was a townie, that person would be a confirmed townie.

In bay 12 mafia, there was a one shot day killer and a resetter.  The day killer could, of course, kill someone, which then showed their alignment.  The resetter could, when lynched, reset the entire day, nullifying everything that happened before including their own lynch.

Thus, the day killer killed someone that flipped town, then the resetter was lynched to reset the day, nullifying the kill.  The townie was alive again and, since we knew their alignment, was a confirmed townie.

(note, the resetter turned out to be scum.  Also, the town grew so reliant on the confirmed townie that they failed to scumhunt.  The town was eventually slaughtered)

In Kingmaker games, there is a Kingmaker role that can ONLY be given by a townie.  Thus, at the start that person claims.  It's foolish for scum to counter claim since the town will just lynch one then, failing to pick correctly, lynch the other.  The town can do that wilingly since a new kingmaker is picked if the old one dies. Result, in Kingmaker, there will always be a confirmed townie. 

Note: The presence of the confirmed townie in this case helps the town but doesn't break the game, especially since the most critical role: King, can't be held by the confirmed townie.

Hosts work pretty hard to either eliminate the chance of a confirmed townie or soften their influence.  Left unchecked, they can-at best-lead to a quick win and-at worst-lead to a VERY boring game.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 12:35:42 pm »

In Kingmaker games, there is a Kingmaker role that can ONLY be given by a townie.  Thus, at the start that person claims.  It's foolish for scum to counter claim since the town will just lynch one then, failing to pick correctly, lynch the other.  The town can do that wilingly since a new kingmaker is picked if the old one dies. Result, in Kingmaker, there will always be a confirmed townie.
Which is why some setups forbid the KM from claiming, I suppose.
In bay 12 mafia, there was a one shot day killer and a resetter.  The day killer could, of course, kill someone, which then showed their alignment.  The resetter could, when lynched, reset the entire day, nullifying everything that happened before including their own lynch.
Which ultimately buggered the town since they felt the resetter was also cleared...

There was the role in TM that would kill scum and send townies into space for 2 days, too.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 01:36:53 am »

So, this is sort of like a Mafia-themed knockoff of Werewolves of Miller's Hollow?
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 02:07:29 am »

So, this is sort of like a Mafia-themed knockoff of Werewolves of Miller's Hollow?

Sort of.  Come play with us :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:10:24 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6