Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391]

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2905764 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5850 on: April 16, 2024, 06:44:56 pm »

so the kicker to this the insurrection aspect of world sim/gen does lead to this but I also don't think this prevents snowballing as one sub-faction who made a peace treaty with one faction could get overthrown by another sub-faction who could just go back to conquering the world again, you kinda don't see this in fort mode as you're playing an hive mind controlling a small outpost miles away from the politics and back stabbings, but in adv mode if you ask the local nobles about the political powers and what not they will talk about the different parties vying for control of that civ.

I guess there's a difference in my mind between a schism and an insurrection being that the latter doesn't lead to fragmentation of the civilization, it just leads to one sub-faction leading the whole, while the former does lead to the fragmentation of the civilization into multiple new civilizations. I'm mostly curious about the former then, and I think it would prevent snowballing via a fragmentation. Just to clarify.
so if I remember an insurrection kicks out the ruling group of folks while the inhabitants the population fodder just stay the same, it usually leads to a whole lot of deaths on either side but the main mass of the people under them don't really change. it usually when another civ outside of the internal civ comes invading when folks start bailing and even then that also causes the natural population of inhabitants to just switch alliances.
though this feels like someone attacking to raze a place which scatters the whole populace, then goes in and captures the land later.

also given how the game works entities that branch off the main entity makes a copy of the main entity raw data so those fragmented civs still behave like the main civ they branched off so that just snowballs in a different way.
you end up with a bunch of outcast civs that usually get pick up by bandit groups to terrorize the land or reforming into nomadic group to roam the land... or try to resettle in the same/different spot or some other world gen/sim mechanic  I don't know off the hand that happens. any way I found the thing that prevents snowballing is figuring out how the battles are won and just beef up the defenses of the weaker civs so that the one that tries to attack a bunch ends up getting cooked.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: April 17, 2024, 05:11:23 am »

hmm having now thought about this if premium adv mode is getting a soundtrack is the classic build of adv mode going to stay silent or is there going to be like a toadyone original adv mode classic track for that also?

To add a suggestion onto this, it might be fun to add lo-fi chiptune versions of the songs to classic. Understandable if that might be too much work.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: April 17, 2024, 06:48:12 am »

hmm having now thought about this if premium adv mode is getting a soundtrack is the classic build of adv mode going to stay silent or is there going to be like a toadyone original adv mode classic track for that also?

To add a suggestion onto this, it might be fun to add lo-fi chiptune versions of the songs to classic. Understandable if that might be too much work.
hmm kinda like toady strumming it a bit more than chiptunes, like lo-fi chiptunes doesn't really gel with the vibes with rest of classic's soundtracks... of 2 songs.
...oh yeah happy birthday toady
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: April 17, 2024, 04:32:19 pm »

Happy birthday Tarn!

Did you get any nice presents?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: April 17, 2024, 09:35:22 pm »

Here's to another year!

The adventure mode OST is fire (my complements to the chefs), but I checked the raws and didn't find any tokens for it. It looks like the playing logic is hardcoded (due to the dynamic mixing), will we be able to add our own music and sounds to adventure mode eventually?
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
I make mods! http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181821.0

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: April 17, 2024, 09:59:17 pm »

So I gotta ask.

Do doors play different sounds when they're opened in adventure mode, depending on the material the doors are made out of?

Interesting if true.  But if the answer to that question is "yes", do "soap doors" specifically have their own sound effect?

And if the answer to that question is also "yes" ... then "why?"  And then where did you even get the sound?!

Did you and/or someone else actually try to make a door out of actual soap, just like smooshed together, and then have Three-Toe open it, while Putnam sat and recorded it with a directional mic?  Because I'd have mad respect for that.

I'm stuck on macos until Friday, so I can't attempt any experimental verification of any strange soap noises until then.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391]