Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how to move an already installed bed  (Read 17796 times)

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how to move an already installed bed
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:57:30 pm »

Can you move a bed that's already been placed? If so,how? plz halp  :P

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: how to move an already installed bed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:01:20 pm »

Go to d and press n

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 04:01:23 pm »

q, move the cursor over the bed, x. The bed will be removed and can then be placed as normal.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 04:01:51 pm »

The phrase is: Please help.

Anyway, deconstruct it and then rebuild it where you want it. No other way.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 04:30:13 pm »

Yeah, deconstruct it, it becomes an item, and can be built somewhere else.

Also, the thing phantom said is for CONSTRUCTIONS, which are b>C>_, beds however are a building.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 04:32:36 pm »

But aren't buildings constructed?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 04:34:45 pm »

But aren't buildings constructed?
No. They are built.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 04:35:17 pm »

Buildings are built.  ;)

Constructions are things like walls, floors, fortifications, etc. Buildings and constructions are two separate categories, as confusing as the naming is, since normally those words are synonymous. But not in DF.

Edit: Damn, Zchris beat me to it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 04:38:04 pm »

Aye but doesn't built mean constructed?Anyway off from the random meanings just discuss the problem.Wait couldn't he just put in a tantruming dwarf,a megabeast, or magma so he wouldn't have to remove it?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:10 pm »

Aye but doesn't built mean constructed?Anyway off from the random meanings just discuss the problem.Wait couldn't he just put in a tantruming dwarf,a megabeast, or magma so he wouldn't have to remove it?
Not in DF it doesn't.  Normally, yes, but since when does DF obey the rules?

Easier to just have a peasant walk over to it, and bust it down.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 04:41:31 pm »

... and if I put termites?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 04:44:44 pm »

...Buildings and constructions are two separate categories, as confusing as the naming is...

Phantom, you are stupid. Find a more clever way to be unclever and I'll think of a better insult.

And the answer to the problem is you tell a dwarf to remove, in a similar menu as you tell the dwarf to build it. This is ALMOST AS COMMON AS DIGGING and is nine million times easier than procuring a tantrumming dwarf, a magma flow (which of course means your bedroom now has magma in it, which is very uncomfortable to sleep on) or a building-destroying monster.

Phantom, have you even played Dwarf Fortress? Dwarves can walk where beds are anyway, it would be easier to leave it there than pulverize it. And while I'm berating you, separate sentences with a space, if for no other reason than because improper grammar like that makes you stick out like a hippy at a gun convention. In fact, get Mozilla Firefox, it's better than internet explorer and it has a spellchecker.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 04:47:36 pm »

I did play with dwarves,but I tend to play with humans.
And again I am aware that most of the things in DF are prety much fucked up.A pebble killing a champion,a carp killing a bear,wood invincible against magma.In conclusion, DF IS FUCKED UP

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 04:56:00 pm »

Use spaces. Commas and periods are not spaces.

Whilst DF is fucked up, yes, the menu follows a system more logical than carp killing bears. If you can select something (furniture, workshops, doors) with Q, then you can remove it that way. If it flashes green (right color?) in the d>n menu, you can remove it there. d>d should also highlight constructions as they are undiggable.

It's been explained how to remove a bed. It's been explained how to remove a wall. It's been explained why they are different. Is there something that prevents you from understanding?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 05:01:18 pm »

Use spaces. Commas and periods are not spaces.

Whilst DF is fucked up, yes, the menu follows a system more logical than carp killing bears. If you can select something (furniture, workshops, doors) with Q, then you can remove it that way. If it flashes green (right color?) in the d>n menu, you can remove it there. d>d should also highlight constructions as they are undiggable.

It's been explained how to remove a bed. It's been explained how to remove a wall. It's been explained why they are different. Is there something that prevents you from understanding?
I mean, like yeah, dude.  Wake up.

There is still no need to be a dick about it though.