Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48

Author Topic: Beginners Mafia - Game over!  (Read 66989 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Beginners Mafia - Game over!
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »

There was some talk about a beginners mafia game being useful. How much interest is there in one? I think I could run a small, simple no-roles mafia game along with the Paranormal Mafia if there is enough interest.

Of course, that requires us having 8 or so people who'd like to play who don't have much experience with Mafias yet.

Since I have at least some interest, I'll start official sign-ups. I'm only taking players that are generally new to Mafia games. You can have played one or two previous games, but the point of this is for people who feel inexperienced to play and get a feel for things.

For an overview of Mafia games in general, please read chaoticjosh's Tutorial

Player List:
  • Jim Groovester
  • dakarian
  • Org
  • ToonyMan
  • eduren
  • BloodBeard
  • Vector
  • Free Beer
  • webadict

Rules:

This will be a Basic Mafia game. I can use some sort of flavor if people would like (Doppelgangers, Werewolves, whatever), the inclusion of Power Roles is up for debate. If I include any, there will only be a few basic power roles.

Roles:
  Townsperson: The basic town role. Your goal is to help the town lynch all of the mafia players. You win as long as the town wins.
  Mafia: The basic antagonist role. You and the other Mafia players work together to kill off the townspeople. During the day, you pretend to be normal townspeople and voting on who is to be lynched. During the night, you get to kill one other player. You win once you have greater then or equal to the number of town aligned players.
  Mafia Godfather: Leader of the Mafia. He cannot be detected by the Cop's ability.
  Cop: An honest cop, he may choose one player each night to investigate. He will then learn if that player is Mafia or Town.
  Doctor: The doctor may choose one player each night to protect from the mafia's night kill.

General Rules:
  Rule on PMs: Private Messages will not be allowed except to me, or amongst the Mafia members. All communication by townsfolk must be done in the thread.

Nights will last for 24 hours or until I've gotten the night kill order from the mafia team, whichever comes first. During the Night phase the topic will be locked and no public communication will occur except for messages from me. Private communication is still allowed, however.

Days will last for 48 hours or until everyone has voted (if there is a long period of inactivity after everyone votes I'll end the day to keep things moving).
    In order for a lynch to occur, over half of the players must have voted. The player with the most votes against them will be lynched. In the event of a tie no one will be lynched.

All votes should be colored red to make it easy for me to spot them.

Dead players may not post in the thread until the game is over, and may not PM any living players about the game.

The Mafia team will have a chat area on http://www.quicktopic.com. I will PM the appropriate link to you at the start of the game. This chat area will let them talk freely without filling up their PM boxes.

Please, feel free to ask any questions you have about the rules.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:21:32 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Mafia?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:44:24 pm »

*Cough*
I'd join. :P
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 04:57:36 pm »

Im in.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:26 pm »

*sigh*

Ok, how about people who haven't been in all the Paranormal Mafia's speak up?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:04:03 pm »

I... may join. Just to see what the hell is so great about these forum games.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:06:53 pm »

That's kind of the point. It'd be a simple introductory Mafia game to let people learn how the game is played without worrying about weird rules and special power roles. By keeping it limited to newer players, it keeps the game from being dominated by experienced mafia players.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 05:48:24 pm »

I've been studying the rules of a few more popular mafias, but I haven't actually played one.  I'd like to have a go, please.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 05:52:17 pm »

I would at least recommend a few basic power roles. Cop, doctor, roleblocker, maybe a godfather all seem ok. Much more than that is pushing it.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 06:03:50 pm »

Well, for this one I'll go no power roles. Later beginner mafias could have the basic roles, I suppose, but really it's best to start playing games without roles. Roles tend to hamper regular playing and especially scumhunting, since they encourage role-less players to rely on the role players too much.

One thing all Mafia players need to learn is that they are important, even without a role. Our more experienced players, like Webadict and chaoticjosh, understand that. Even if they're a regular townsperson they'll play the game to the hilt, and quite often are key to winning. I'd like our less experienced players to learn what that is like and get a feel for how you scum-hunt without any powers to back you up.
Come play Mafia with us!

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 06:15:37 pm »

The problem with that is that most players, experienced and beginners, find mountainous boring.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 06:41:01 pm »

Wait. I am not in.
Why?
I am not that experienced.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:15:25 am »

I think that an intro to how to interact with power roles is good, though, m'self.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:46 am »

Hmmm...true...

Ok, I'll leave it up to the players. Basic power roles or no roles at all? If you haven't signed up and want to, you can add your vote with your sign-up.

@Org: Ok, I'll let you join. You've been in quite a few mafias, but I don't think you're too likely to dominate the game, so I'll let you in anyway.
Come play Mafia with us!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 03:05:17 am »

I suppose I'm not allowed in?

Also, I suggest that it be only Sane Cops and normal Doctors.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 06:23:19 am »

Arr?  I'll join if possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48