Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Designating causes lag? o.O  (Read 1485 times)

Fensfield

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designating causes lag? o.O
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:30:31 am »

So, I have two big projects on in my fortress.  The first, is the hollowing out of a large, square chasm, from layer below the surface, to the lowest level of the map, around a kind of internal 'central tower'.  Normally I'd cave the whole thing in, however, unfortunately there are some important gubbinz on level -11 that cross the chasm, so I'll have to carve around them until -12.  Besides, my entry tunnel overhangs before bridging into the tower, and I want to carve out some nice support strut-y things under it.

Anyhow, the other project is a four layer deep cistern inside the middle of the tower ( the aforementioned gubbinz is its aqueduct ).  At the moment, its busy filling ( just beginning to fill level 2 ).

As you can imagine, my game is presently lagging rather heavily.  Population of nine dwarves, and four animals roaming free, and at present my FPS averages at 35.  .. And I've just noticed something weird.

On completion of the last layer of digging, my FPS sky-rocketed to 98~100 despite the water still flowing into the cistern, only to plummet once more once I'd designated and set my four legendary miners to work on the next 35x35 or so wide layer of the chasm ( -9 ).

So.. designating/mining out a large-ish area causes significantly more lag than filling a chamber with water via a 3 layer drop, from an underground river across the map? o.o;
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 06:38:54 am by Fensfield »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Designating causes lag? o.O
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 06:39:28 am »

Yea, it does that for some reason, and is mentioned on that thread about improving FPS.

Although it takes quite alot of designation to badly affect the FPS for me, a 35x35 layer of designation hardly affects my FPS.

Also, the water filling your cistern will reach a point where it starts hitting your FPS.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34:23 am »

I have found that the more areas of the designation that are accessible the more FPS hit you receive.  For example designating a tunnel to be mined 5 tiles wide by 60 long doesn't do much to my fps at all, but designating a 5x60 strip of ramps to be dug out of the exposed ground will knock the FPS into the toilet.  I am assuming that this is because the miners have to figure out the one out of hundreds of available digging locations is the best for them to dig at that moment.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:44:59 am »

This relates to something I'd like to ask. My FPS is always around the 30-40 mark. When I designate huge areas for digging it's 30-40. When I have 50 dwarves it's 30-40, when I have 7 dwarves it's 30-40. My fps cap is set to 100, but no matter what I do, it refuses to budge from that range. I'm pretty sure this is impossible, so what the hell is going on?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:43:08 am »

GTMattz: remember, jobs pick dwarves, not the other way around. So when you have lots of exposed minable squares, you have a lot of digging jobs saying "Hey, is there a dwarf available yet? How about now? How about now?" And each time the game has to go through its list of dwarves and discover that all of the dwarves with mining turned on are busy.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 01:15:14 am »

This relates to something I'd like to ask. My FPS is always around the 30-40 mark. When I designate huge areas for digging it's 30-40. When I have 50 dwarves it's 30-40, when I have 7 dwarves it's 30-40. My fps cap is set to 100, but no matter what I do, it refuses to budge from that range. I'm pretty sure this is impossible, so what the hell is going on?

Trees. If you are in a heavily forested area, like I'm currently in, it lags to hell. I think that's the problem anyway. I'm going to mostly deforest the map and see what happens. Usually I can run anywhere from 100-150 fps. In this heavily forested map, I get 5-20.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 01:38:08 am »

Yep. If you designate an entire Z-level at once, the game actually locks up for several seconds. Even on a 2.0GHz Duo processor.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 04:20:22 am »

I've cut down pretty much the entire eastern forest and my fps has gone up by about 5. I don't know if it's that or doing a cleanup after a goblin siege that helped it, but I still think it's trees.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 07:17:37 pm »

Trees are tiles, and do not contribute to lag any more than any other tile.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 07:25:30 pm »

The trees might have been slowing down pathfinding a little though, depending how much traffic goes through that area.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 08:26:26 pm »

Not to mention that there's more tree-growth sim running in a heavily-forested location than in a rocky location.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 11:10:56 pm »

Well it causes path finding Durr...

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 07:17:24 am »

My fishers go into and out of the forest all the time. That's where the brook is. I've tried to set up a river underground, but no fish go into it. Also my hunters go there too. So Mass Deforestation might help a wee bit.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 07:27:17 am »

I can only imagine the meeting with the elves afterwards...

Elf Liason: "Why have you slaughtered the beautiful trees that once covered this land."
Dwarf: "Well, it was taking to long to get to the brook."
Elf Liason: "..."
Elf Liason: *sobs uncontrollably*
Dwarf: *laughs*

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:54:34 am »

Trees are tiles, and do not contribute to lag any more than any other tile.

That sounds like elf talk to me.

I tend to have the biggest lag problems when I designate large amounts of stone or goblin/orc chaff to be dumped or simply create stockpile that would require it to be moved. I can easily go from 50fps with 80 dwarves to 20 while cleaning up after a siege.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:56:16 am by milaga »
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".
Pages: [1] 2