Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Designating causes lag? o.O

<< < (2/4) > >>

Beanchubbs:

--- Quote from: Rowanas on July 28, 2009, 09:44:59 am ---This relates to something I'd like to ask. My FPS is always around the 30-40 mark. When I designate huge areas for digging it's 30-40. When I have 50 dwarves it's 30-40, when I have 7 dwarves it's 30-40. My fps cap is set to 100, but no matter what I do, it refuses to budge from that range. I'm pretty sure this is impossible, so what the hell is going on?

--- End quote ---

Trees. If you are in a heavily forested area, like I'm currently in, it lags to hell. I think that's the problem anyway. I'm going to mostly deforest the map and see what happens. Usually I can run anywhere from 100-150 fps. In this heavily forested map, I get 5-20.

Lord Dakoth:
Yep. If you designate an entire Z-level at once, the game actually locks up for several seconds. Even on a 2.0GHz Duo processor.

Beanchubbs:
I've cut down pretty much the entire eastern forest and my fps has gone up by about 5. I don't know if it's that or doing a cleanup after a goblin siege that helped it, but I still think it's trees.

Lord Dakoth:
Trees are tiles, and do not contribute to lag any more than any other tile.

Footkerchief:
The trees might have been slowing down pathfinding a little though, depending how much traffic goes through that area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version