Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Keeping a multitude of food stockpiles supplied?  (Read 1154 times)

rucksackjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keeping a multitude of food stockpiles supplied?
« on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:02 pm »

I'm trying out the idea of having many separate dining rooms near workshops to maximize efficiency, but the effort will be wasted unless each one also has its own food stockpile near it. Since it's currently impossible to designate more than one stockpile to "take from" a given stockpile, is there a good way of accomplishing this? Thanks in advance.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping a multitude of food stockpiles supplied?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:28:10 pm »

If you have lots of haulers try making them all draw from each other in a circle. Not perfect but it might help.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:43:50 pm »

Make enough food such that all stockpiles are full at all times.  That's about the best you can do, really.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:16:41 pm »

I'm trying out the idea of having many separate dining rooms near workshops to maximize efficiency, but the effort will be wasted unless each one also has its own food stockpile near it. Since it's currently impossible to designate more than one stockpile to "take from" a given stockpile, is there a good way of accomplishing this? Thanks in advance.

Make a bunch of small stockpiles - 2x2 is plenty fine if you are making lavish meals - and start with one and have it pull from the next, all in a big chain. The dwarves won't move the stuff along the chain one by one, rather they'll move it all the way to the first open slot at the start of the chain. Works pretty well, actually.

I'll warn you, dwarves in my fortress seem to chase after their favorite foods and then sit down closest to where they find it. You might just end up with dwarves crossing your fortress all the time, as opposed to a large centralized dining hall where they only go half the way.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:29:44 pm »

Make enough food such that all stockpiles are full at all times.  That's about the best you can do, really.

Yup.

Overproduce. Use many small stockpiles that accept only a single item type to keep each dining hall in stock.

Then just let the extra stuff rot in kitchens or in the farm fields. Turn off plants for your refuse stockpiles so no hauling will be done.

You may get some miasma, but this is a relatively small problem, a nice dining hall will easily counteract it.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:20 pm »

Or have X 1x1 stockpiles by your kitchens (where x is the number of stockpiles near workshops you want to service).  Then have each small stockpile by the workshops pull from one of those 1x1 stockpiles.

Now, practically, the workshop pulling from the upper left stockpile will fill faster, because the upper left tiles of my stockpiles always seem to fill first (not sure if multiple 1x1s would act the same way).  At any rate, at least some food would get to the stockpiles, and eventually they would all be filled.