Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 316802 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1065 on: December 27, 2009, 08:36:05 pm »

Upon seeing all the designs and pictures here I am, in a word, humbled. All my designs all look as crayon scribblings in comparison...

...Now I shall go make a statue-fort. That is, a huge, taking-up-the-entire-map statue, inside which is enough space for all my dwarves to live and the means to do so. That should be on par with the other projects here, assuming I get it finished before the fort dies to tantrum or lag.
First off... should it be entirely constructed, in which case I'll have to dig out the entire map and then build it up from there, or shall I dig out as much of it in stone as possible, then build the rest.
Or I could dig out a mould, construct a wall inside that and then dig out the entire outside... so many choices...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I suspect this may go to the thread for ideas which never came to fruition annoyingly quickly however.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 27, 2009, 09:46:28 pm »

With the new release bieng so close, I wonder if Baboonanza is holding off on the new version of Visual Fortress until he can get it to work on the new release version.

corhen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Google Site (WIP)
« Reply #1067 on: December 27, 2009, 09:49:33 pm »

make a real dwarves stature.

make it underground

For bonus points, have it be standing above a
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now I need to build a wooden ship with waterwheels at the side and an iron cannon, i mean screwpump, at the front...

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 28, 2009, 09:23:22 pm »

For additional bonus points, have the entrance in one foot, and have the other foot raised above your external courtyard...

The raised ankle will, of course, be comprised of a single support attached to a lever.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 29, 2009, 05:56:37 am »

For additional bonus points, have the entrance in one foot, and have the other foot raised above your external courtyard...

The raised ankle will, of course, be comprised of a single support attached to a lever.
Of course you can have other things if you don't want it to look weird having the bone randomly showing on the level with the support, like floodgates or bridges, which don't support adjacent constructions.

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 29, 2009, 08:01:57 am »

Looks great!  Using this and Stonesense for a much clearer picture of my map and fortress.

Is there a possibility of Visual Fortress being able to automatically reload the map from DF every x (definable) number of seconds?  Would be great for those with decent computers being able to run it in near real-time.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 29, 2009, 12:17:56 pm »

Of course you can have other things if you don't want it to look weird having the bone randomly showing on the level with the support, like floodgates or bridges, which don't support adjacent constructions.
You might try better comma placement, it took me about five rereads to make sense of that.
Of course, you can have other things, if you don't want it to look weird, having the bone randomly showing on the level with the support, like floodgates or bridges, which don't support adjacent constructions.
Is there a possibility of Visual Fortress being able to automatically reload the map from DF every x (definable) number of seconds?  Would be great for those with decent computers being able to run it in near real-time.
I don't really see the point of rendering terrain in real-time.  Due to the way dwarfs build/dig, anything you do will look like crap until an entire section is done anyway...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 29, 2009, 12:28:19 pm »

This is pretty much what LifeVis did.  i used to run DF in one window, the width of the screen, and LifeVis underneath it for realtime 3d.  clicking in lifevis would even move the cursor in DF.

I dont think its being developed anymore, though.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:08 pm »

I don't really see the point of rendering terrain in real-time.  Due to the way dwarfs build/dig, anything you do will look like crap until an entire section is done anyway...
That could be remedied with some "outline" tiles if the information is available to the visualizer.  Being able to see what your construction will look like before it's built or where that wall will sit compared to the next level (without having to swap back and forth in the 2d interface) is pretty handy.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Rykue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 29, 2009, 07:45:50 pm »

Awesome i'm downloading it now!!

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 04, 2010, 07:53:34 pm »

Could someone explain why the visualiser cant read 40c release?
I have it running fine but when i try do read my fort it says NO SUPPORTED VERSION DECTECTED
it worked fine before :(

It seems ALL my utilities for Dwarf fortress wont read the 40c version for some reason
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:14:03 pm by Drug_unit »
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:01 pm »

Is Memory.ini right? You've made a separate thread, check it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 11, 2010, 10:17:09 am »

I wonder whats going on with Baboonanza? Since the new release is so close, we probably won't see the next version of Visual fortress until after the new release. I think.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 11, 2010, 01:37:04 pm »

That's what I've been wondering... But according to stats, Baboonanza hasn't been online in weeks, and hasn't made a post since the one in this thread back on november 12. I hope it isn't due to carp.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #1079 on: January 11, 2010, 01:55:55 pm »

We need a source release of this thing if baboon can't keep up. If we implemented some more shaders such as per-pixel lighting, perhaps an HDR rendering, sky model and ambient occlusion it'd look top notch. And it is not -that- difficult to do so if you can find the right shader scripts.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 90