Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 314891 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1095 on: January 24, 2010, 05:40:44 pm »

Shameless bump for great justice!

This doesn't deserve to die. :(
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 25, 2010, 10:52:03 pm »

So, like. I tried to run this. It didn't work, it was stuck on the map loading screen and it didn't progress at all.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1097 on: January 27, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »

Towerscrape progress resumes, and Visual Fortress makes it look impressive for all to see.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sanity is for the weak.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 27, 2010, 08:00:23 pm »

Forts dont get much awesomer then that.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1099 on: January 28, 2010, 01:31:33 am »

I hope there are plans for this to work for the next version, as well as any future updates for that matter.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 28, 2010, 10:08:51 am »

you can be sure that the developer is visiting this thread frequently.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1101 on: January 28, 2010, 10:44:03 pm »

Finally nearing completion...

Sanity is for the weak.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 01, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »

So, like. I tried to run this. It didn't work, it was stuck on the map loading screen and it didn't progress at all.

Same. Are you on Windows 7?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:28 pm »

The only other thing I can think of, is that he's gone into a "Do it later" mentality, only wanting to finish the current version when the next DF version releases, which could still be a month or more.

"Do it later"?  More like "People won't stop bugging me about it and as a result it's not fun anymore."

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:11 pm »

"Do it later"?  More like "People won't stop bugging me about it and as a result it's not fun anymore."

Without any input on that from him, we can't be sure in any direction.  For all we know, he was stabbed and left for dead in an alley, which would be horrible.  He could be without internet.  His keyboard could be dead.  He might be in school.  He could be bored of coding.  He could be waiting until next release.  No way to tell.  Of that short list of possibilities, I'd rather if he's waiting until the next release than any of the others.

I've seen other people and groups who work with other games fall into the same kinda trap, mostly mods, but sometimes utilities.  The worst part is if an update is so much more complex than they're used to that they're basically not ready at all and have to restart from scratch (That particular example goes to Onin-no-Ran, a mod for Mount & Blade, which ended up taking an update off, and when they picked it up again, the code was so different from two updates before, that they needed over a year and still don't have a completely stable release last I checked).
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 02, 2010, 07:01:48 am »

Without any input on that from him, we can't be sure in any direction.  For all we know, he was stabbed and left for dead in an alley, which would be horrible.  He could be without internet.  His keyboard could be dead.  He might be in school.  He could be bored of coding.  He could be waiting until next release.  No way to tell.  Of that short list of possibilities, I'd rather if he's waiting until the next release than any of the others.

I've seen other people and groups who work with other games fall into the same kinda trap, mostly mods, but sometimes utilities.  The worst part is if an update is so much more complex than they're used to that they're basically not ready at all and have to restart from scratch (That particular example goes to Onin-no-Ran, a mod for Mount & Blade, which ended up taking an update off, and when they picked it up again, the code was so different from two updates before, that they needed over a year and still don't have a completely stable release last I checked).

Considering the amount of time between his last post (November 12, 2009) and when he was last active, I think the less dramatic explanations are more likely.

Summary - Baboonanza     Picture/Text
Name:    Baboonanza
Position:    Bay Watcher
Date Registered:    August 06, 2008, 08:41:05 AM
Last Active:    January 27, 2010, 05:31:10 AM

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: February 02, 2010, 08:12:53 am »

Considering the amount of time between his last post (November 12, 2009) and when he was last active, I think the less dramatic explanations are more likely.

Summary - Baboonanza     Picture/Text
Name:    Baboonanza
Position:    Bay Watcher
Date Registered:    August 06, 2008, 08:41:05 AM
Last Active:    January 27, 2010, 05:31:10 AM
Unless of course he was killed by a spy from the CIA looking to infiltrate the dwarf fortress forums. They are watching.  :o

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1107 on: February 02, 2010, 06:28:57 pm »

Changing the subject a bit...

After much hard work (on the Dwarves' part, anyway; I just sat back and directed them), Towerscrape (or "Urdimigath", as the Dwarves call it) is complete!  This is easily my biggest mega-construction ever, using roughly 20,000 building materials (counting doors and windows as well).  Every single floor is fully constructed, with no hollow floors (quite unlike my bank tower mega-construction).

Thanks to a very intensive world-murdering campaign by an adventurer before I started this project, there have been quite literally no enemies to threaten the tower (besides the occasional roving Unicorn pack), and thus I've been able to focus entirely on the tower and not have to worry about sieges, thieves, or ambushes.  As such, it took only 5.75 game years (started in early spring 35, ended late autumn 40).  From mid-36 onwards was with Green Glass Blocks, which just goes to show how long it takes to build anything out of them.

Just over one-third of my fort's population of 159 are a combination of glassmakers and masons.  Two-thirds of my fort's population (including the above group) dedicated a fair bit of time to gathering sand.  The remaining third have kept my fort fed, watered, and financed with farming and metalsmithing.  The fort has over two years' worth of food and drink in reserve, and a net worth of about 3.6 million.

And now, the obligatory screenshots.

Towerscrape Statistics:
35x35 base
18 stories tall + roof
388 3x3 "civilian" rooms
4 57-tile "dining" rooms
72 9x9 "stockpile" rooms

Building materials:
~10,250 Green Glass Blocks
~9,250 pieces of Shale
336 Green Glass Windows
265 Steel Bars
228 Stone Doors
216 Green Glass Portals

Tower decor:
238 Beds
212 Containers
202 Cabinets
95 Seats
95 Tables
15 Armor Stands
15 Weapon Racks
12 Steel Statues
12 Platinum Statues
10 Archery Targets
8 Stone Statues
3 Coffins

Catacombs decor:
187 Coffins
38 Green Glass Statues
20 Steel Statues
Sanity is for the weak.

Spectral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: February 02, 2010, 10:43:37 pm »

That is...amazing.
I'm in awe of your work.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:58 pm »

Heres a rather fun screenshot of the results of underestimating the pressure in my pipes. I wanted to fill the little pond near my entrance, as I had it designated as a pond to be fileld for years, and it never got filled. Unfortunately, 2 steps after the water got to the pond, it was full. And it just kept coming... Up and up and up. And it seems the dwarf who originally pulled the level has decided to go grab a drink. And my resevoir still is over 3/4 full.  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90