Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 314922 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1125 on: February 10, 2010, 01:46:41 pm »

Wow...yeah, the grotto is awesome!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1126 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:47 pm »

Undergrotto is indeed inspirational.  It's so rare to see someone take the other approach to a megaconstruction, ie. dig it out instead of build it up.  It had to have taken a lot of planning to get it to look right, though...
Sanity is for the weak.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:58 pm »

It had to have taken a lot of planning to get it to look right, though...

Oh boy, did it ever. To plot out a 3D shape (like, let's say one of the hanging winiding paths) I had to draw the entire path on ever z-level it passed through, then on the bottom one mark off where the ramps were and apply each chunk to each carved-out level. Not to mention trying to have the grotto slowly taper to a mostly flat ceiling. My god, designating the second half of the cavern was even worse than the first; it probably took 24 hours total over three days. If there was one thing I could dream of DF including, it'd be optional translucency between layers.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56:46 pm »

It had to have taken a lot of planning to get it to look right, though...

Oh boy, did it ever. To plot out a 3D shape (like, let's say one of the hanging winiding paths) I had to draw the entire path on ever z-level it passed through, then on the bottom one mark off where the ramps were and apply each chunk to each carved-out level. Not to mention trying to have the grotto slowly taper to a mostly flat ceiling. My god, designating the second half of the cavern was even worse than the first; it probably took 24 hours total over three days. If there was one thing I could dream of DF including, it'd be optional translucency between layers.
I learned that lesson when I tried to make a large room full of columns... having to designate the digging projects around the columns with arches was a major headache.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 11, 2010, 12:20:56 am »

I can't quite match that grotto (which is amazing, by the way), but I wanted to share my current fortress anyway:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:24:37 am by Nome »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 11, 2010, 12:28:51 am »

What dies it look like without the snow?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Nome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 11, 2010, 12:39:36 am »

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:26 am »

Undergrotto's not really done yet, but I might as well post some screenies here. I have to say, if there was one thing I'd really like VF to do, it'd be to allow light to shine through when an area is sliced down to have exposed sky. Getting enough light to define the stalactites was a huge pain.

Oh sweet booze of Armok.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 13, 2010, 12:26:13 pm »

Any word on how to get this to work in 40d17?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »

Copy the save to an earlier version and view it from that. The creator's absent, so it's unlikely he'll be continuing to provide updates.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1135 on: February 13, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »

A few shots of Pagedslipped, my green glass pyramid megaconstruct.  It's monotonously green and nowhere near as artistically interesting as a lot of other megaprojects, but it is certainly pointlessly large.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 13, 2010, 07:50:17 pm »

You're getting an A for Awesome! by the way, the red outline in the pictures can magically disappear if you, before cutting he pictures from the screen, got to options and untick the lowest box, under the colour-stuff

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1137 on: February 13, 2010, 08:18:18 pm »

Copy the save to an earlier version and view it from that. The creator's absent, so it's unlikely he'll be continuing to provide updates.

Visual Fortress uses the same format for the offset file as DFHack, so you can just get the newest one from here.

I had to dumb down the actual file for visfort to pick it up ~_~
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:43:24 pm by peterix »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »

You're getting an A for Awesome! by the way, the red outline in the pictures can magically disappear if you, before cutting he pictures from the screen, got to options and untick the lowest box, under the colour-stuff

I thought that was a stupid Vista thing, as on Windows 7 that's unchecked by default.  Never occurred to me to check the options (of course, I only use Vista at work where I tend not to need the snip tool).

Gazz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 19, 2010, 08:07:53 am »

Heres a rather fun screenshot of the results of underestimating the pressure in my pipes. I wanted to fill the little pond near my entrance, as I had it designated as a pond to be fileld for years, and it never got filled. Unfortunately, 2 steps after the water got to the pond, it was full. And it just kept coming... Up and up and up. And it seems the dwarf who originally pulled the level has decided to go grab a drink. And my resevoir still is over 3/4 full.  :-\
I'm just starting to dabble in dwarvish construction but... would it be possible to...
- intentionally create such a geysir
- let it push up through a grate (placed maybe 2/3 on the way up)
- put floor tiles/walls around the grate to channel the water... elsewhere.

That would be a single column reversed waterfall, falling... up.
After all, gravity is only a technical issue. =)
totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 90