Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 316795 times)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #1155 on: February 25, 2010, 10:16:18 am »

...wait, is that a helipad on the cliff west of the shrine?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 25, 2010, 12:32:21 pm »

It's a hospital with a helipad on the roof >_> I figure if dwarves ever make the technology, can't hurt to be ready in advance, yeah?

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 25, 2010, 01:31:47 pm »

Holy Armok. That's.. the craziest, most impressive thing ever. :) Amazing work, Retro.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #1158 on: February 25, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »

Brilliant Retro, very well done!

I've seen quite a few projects like yours now, where it seems to me cave-ins have been disabled, but is that just me, virtual fortress or something else?

In particular the bridge from smaller mountain to larger and the cool looking spiral-case.

Please don't take offence by my question, I am just trying to figure out how you do it. :)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 25, 2010, 03:42:39 pm »

I've seen quite a few projects like yours now, where it seems to me cave-ins have been disabled, but is that just me, virtual fortress or something else?
In particular the bridge from smaller mountain to larger and the cool looking spiral-case.
You can build a bridge made entirely of floors as long and narrow as you want in any shape as long as one point of that bridge connects to solid ground.  Cave-ins occur when no parts of a structure connect to solid ground.  The bridge between mountains is connected by two points.  There is no longer (I read it used to be) a 7 tile wide cave-in system in place so you could theoretically build and entire fort hanging off a cliff using only one anchor point.  I can't see the pictures from work, but if I remember correctly the spiral staircase has a central column to anchor on?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1160 on: February 25, 2010, 05:13:37 pm »

Doesn't the most recent version of Visfort at least render wood the correct color? That's what I recall at least. I mean, my ship at least looks right enough.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 25, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »

It's a hospital with a helipad on the roof >_> I figure if dwarves ever make the technology, can't hurt to be ready in advance, yeah?
Subterranean helicopters.

I love this game.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 25, 2010, 07:16:47 pm »

I love this game.

YOU COULD DO IT.

Just add [FLYING] to wagons! :D

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:41 pm »

Doesn't the most recent version of Visfort at least render wood the correct color? That's what I recall at least. I mean, my ship at least looks right enough.

Whoa, really? I wasn't aware it had been updated again since I last downloaded it due to Baboonanza's absence. I'll have to go redownload and check. It'd be wicked if I could get rid of that damn green sheen. I wonder if it renders ice at least like microcline, too (brown ice is weeeird).

Ed- huh, yeah! Ice is still brown, but woody looks woody :3

You can build a bridge made entirely of floors as long and narrow as you want in any shape as long as one point of that bridge connects to solid ground.  Cave-ins occur when no parts of a structure connect to solid ground.  The bridge between mountains is connected by two points.  There is no longer (I read it used to be) a 7 tile wide cave-in system in place so you could theoretically build and entire fort hanging off a cliff using only one anchor point.  I can't see the pictures from work, but if I remember correctly the spiral staircase has a central column to anchor on?

Yeah, the spiral path thing doesn't technically connect to the central column at all, but it's connected to the access tower from the bottom and the observatory booth at the top where the drop'n gets done. The bridge was connected on both sides, but has since been improved anyhow (looked flimsy):

I love this game.
YOU COULD DO IT.

Just add [FLYING] to wagons! :D

Urist cancels Job: Interrupted by Abomination.

Also: Can anyone tell me how to change the lighting angle? I've seen others do it but haven't managed to find out how. Maybe it's because I was using an older version up til now.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:36:02 pm by Retro »

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1164 on: February 26, 2010, 01:48:44 am »

The default controls assign the sun angle controls to + and - on the numpad.  That's probably what you're after.
Sanity is for the weak.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 26, 2010, 07:56:38 pm »

Every time I try to look at my fortress, this happens!

how do I make this wonderful program work?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 26, 2010, 08:26:53 pm »

...turn off shadows...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:40:03 pm by Hungry »
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 27, 2010, 01:20:11 am »

Sigh. Despite the massive FPS boost my new laptop gave me, Windows 7 just seems to not want to play VF. I'm assuming this is an issue addressed before, but my attempts to search the thread didn't work out so well. Any tech-savvy person know some sneaky tricky to trick my computer into thinking it's running a 32-bit processor stilll?

The default controls assign the sun angle controls to + and - on the numpad.  That's probably what you're after.

Yes! That was it. Thanks.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 27, 2010, 10:50:37 am »

Sigh. Despite the massive FPS boost my new laptop gave me, Windows 7 just seems to not want to play VF. I'm assuming this is an issue addressed before, but my attempts to search the thread didn't work out so well. Any tech-savvy person know some sneaky tricky to trick my computer into thinking it's running a 32-bit processor stilll?

Step 1: right click on VF and go to compatibility.  Select any other version of windows (32Bit).  See if each of those works.
Step 2: I've got VF 0.801, which I didn't have to do anything to get to work, if you don't have that one get it and try it
Step 3: if that fails, get a virtual machine.  Windows offers one for free, but I believe you need a "valid" copy of windows to install (most VMs do).  I've got a Windows 98 VM I've used for very old games.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 27, 2010, 02:01:30 pm »

Step 1: right click on VF and go to compatibility.  Select any other version of windows (32Bit).  See if each of those works.
Step 2: I've got VF 0.801, which I didn't have to do anything to get to work, if you don't have that one get it and try it
Step 3: if that fails, get a virtual machine.  Windows offers one for free, but I believe you need a "valid" copy of windows to install (most VMs do).  I've got a Windows 98 VM I've used for very old games.

Compatibility isn't working no matter what I try (goes into permafreeze upon beginning to read blocks). It took like 3~10 minutes to load up on my old lappy, but even giving it half an hour here merits no progress. I tried to grab an XP virtual machine, but it's telling me I don't have a valid copy of windows even though I definitely do :\ silly computer. Maybe I'll just try passing my saves over to a friend's computer for future snapshots.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 90