Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 316650 times)

teta

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN] [SPHERE:WATER]
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 03:39:52 pm »

Wow!

Colorful~, yay!

Some simple suggestions or things i noticed:

- faces above fortification missing
- bridges, windows (;
- maybe changing the direktion of the lighting?
- trees/boulders on/off did not work
- maybe scaling of the tree sizes?

And the usual examples:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for the effort, Baboonanza.
Some mega eye-candy projects:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6018 Human city
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6201 Little Star Wars Space Ship

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 04:06:27 pm »

NICEly done!

and now...

Operation system: WinXP Pro SP3
Graphics card & VRAM size: Radeon 9600/X1050 Series, 256MB
VisualFortress.log:
A description of what you were doing at the time:
I was changing the views by clicking on the different radio buttons on the left panel (last selection: NW Corner).
Then I was moving the camera a bit.
And when it all crashed, I was just playing with the right slice bar.
The error was accessing a NULL pointer and it happened in atioglxx.dll.
I'm using the original ATI 9.3 drivers.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 04:07:44 pm »

NICEly done!

and now...

Operation system: WinXP Pro SP3
Graphics card & VRAM size: Radeon 9600/X1050 Series, 256MB
VisualFortress.log:
A description of what you were doing at the time:
I was changing the views by clicking on the different radio buttons on the left panel (last selection: NW Corner).
Then I was moving the camera a bit.
And when it all crashed, I was just playing with the right slice bar.
The error was accessing a NULL pointer and it happened in atioglxx.dll.
I'm using the original ATI 9.3 drivers.

EDIT:
peterix ran this app on linux with wine and it crashed his machine.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 04:49:17 pm »

I'm getting a terrain load error. I'm not sure what's causing it but I really want to use your app it's so... sexy

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 04:52:27 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Quite a lot to address here...

My only suggestion is to allow movement with arrow keys, not just WASD (I'm an arrow man), and to increase the rate at which movement happens, it seems too jerky and kinda slow at the moment.  Some of the tree models could probably use a little work as well, a couple have stretch-mark artifacts on the leaves and branches, doesn't seem to be my system doing it.
- You can set the movement keys using File->Set Keys (this will save between sessions) but I can add arrow keys as a second default option.
- I forgot to mention that SHIFT speeds up camera movement. The amount of acceleration can also be controlled with the sliders. There is no smoothing so movement will be jerky at the mo.
- The tree models are certainly dodgy. I have absolutley 0 modelling skill so all the models are the best I can get for free off the net (or in some cases badly generate). Unfortunately these models came in an undocumented format (Torque Engine) and the only available converter screwed them up. Any better models will be happily be used instead, but otherwise there isn't much I can do.

- faces above fortification missing
- bridges, windows (;
- maybe changing the direktion of the lighting?
- trees/boulders on/off did not work
- maybe scaling of the tree sizes?
- I think I know what you mean here.
- I'll get to it. It's not easy you know :)
- Try +/- on the numeric keypad or change SUN_ANGLE in the .ini file
- Known issue, will be fixed very shortly
- Doing this dynamically causes some problems, but I'll think about it. You can permanently increase the tree size by editing Data/objects_natural.csv. The last column is the model size in percent, so doubling it will double the tree sizes. I didn't want the default to be too large as it will cause problems with overlapping into neighbouring tiles/tile above.

Most excellent bug report!
Thanks, I'll try and reproduce it. Presumably it's to do with generating the slice geometry.

Not sure what I can do about it crashing in Wine, I have no way of testing it. Does the log file indicate that it crashed at a particular point during initialisation?

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 04:56:13 pm »

I'm getting a terrain load error. I'm not sure what's causing it but I really want to use your app it's so... sexy
Does it say 'Failed to load Terrain material' by any chance? That usually means that the terrain shader program has failed to compile. There may be a reason stated in the log file (sometimes the driver gives a useless message though).

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 05:33:23 pm »

I took a quick look at my tower with it. Since I made it with 3Dwarf in mind, I didn't do anything about the random ores scattered throughout it, and it didn't look very good; in my opinion, 3Dwarf looks better for general structures and shapes (especially those that have been dug out and smoothed instead of being constructed), but there's lots of ways that Visual outshines it. *points to teta's screenshots*

Also, is there any way to move the camera up and down yet? I can just seem to change the angle and move the camera around in a 2D plane, making it very difficult to get a good angle at certain objects.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 05:46:39 pm »

R & F move the camera up and down, I don't ever need them though. The camera works like an FPS camera, forward moves in the direction you point.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 05:52:21 pm »

I tried to navigate around my fortress, and it was very confusing. Stairs that dwarves get down fine in-game lead into solid walls, the ramps faced the wrong direction, and my smoothed basalt walls looked like they were made from clay bricks.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 05:56:08 pm »

It's still bieng refined, so... yea. Also, it could have something to do with the version you're using.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 06:04:16 pm »

R & F move the camera up and down, I don't ever need them though. The camera works like an FPS camera, forward moves in the direction you point.

Huh, could've sworn it wasn't working that way. I'll give it another try when my brother gets off the computer.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2009, 06:46:22 pm »

How's this looking for underground stuff and actual fortresses? I haven't played DF and a bit so I don't have any forts ready to test out. Screens! Plx~!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »

Just spotted a typo in the configure keyboard shortcuts option box, you have forwards spelled as fackwards, and the second camera right option is suppoused to be camera down I guess.

Oh yea, I just tried to do a map dump and got this error:

Version 0.28.181.40d is supported
Version 28.181.40d13.win is supported
Unable to detect supported DF version
Memory read aborted

I'm using version 40d11 with Mayday graphics mod.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 07:07:35 pm »

smjjames, 40d11 isn't either of those two supported versions.

Anyway, yeah, the camera movement's working as normal now, so I can move around and look at my stuff and report some bugs.

First, some stuff I constructed out of granite is showing up as red in the visualizer. It appears that the area I built it in used to be part of a bauxite cluster, which might be throwing off the utility somehow.

Second, it looks like up/down stairs in strange locations aren't showing up right. It appears that the up stair portions won't show up if there's solid rock above them, and the up/down stairs in general create empty space for the stairs to go in below them where there should be more solid rock.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2009, 07:08:43 pm »

Absolutely. Awesome.

I don't have any full forts to explore in either of those 2 versions, so I was looking at a haunted mountain.

I encountered only 3 problems with this wonderful, beautiful program.
I was running it on Windows XP, SP 3
Intel Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.68GHz
3072 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
GeForce driver version #6.14.11.8585

1. The slice sliders didn't do anything when frustum culling was disabled.
2. Input strangeness: pressing the shift key while moving the camera to speed it up stops it from moving entirely. You have to release and then press the movement keys again to get it started moving. Also, the controls aren't smooth, mirroring a problem I've also had writing an OpenGL program using C++ and GLUT. When you hold down a movement key, it appears to be read once, then there's a pause, and then the key is continually read, finally resulting in smooth motion.
3. I got a program crash when trying to move the camera around, after playing with those sliders and buttons and maximizing the window. Sorry for the vague details, I couldn't really reproduce it. When the crash came up, I hit the debug button, but nothing happened.  ??? Here's my log:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:11:40 pm by Idles »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 90