Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 316939 times)

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 11:39:35 am »

It loads maps faster, runs faster, looks prettier and accurately shows material colours. It has the slice tool from 3Dwarf, I don't know of any other features since I was never able to get 3Dwarf to run.
How many colours exactly? Does it have the full set?
The colour table it uses is constructed from the DF raws, so yes.

Also does it handle ramps in the same way as 3dwarf? My previous megaprojects had a lot of rounded slopes and curved surfaces. Ramps tended to look jaggy on them because they couldn't conform.
I have no idea. It's more robust in it's ramp handling than 3Dwarf but realistically you're never going to get rounded slopes or curved surfaces. There isn't enough resolution and finding the perfect ramp for every situation is too difficult.

I'll have to give it a spin on Abbeyverse later today - we shall see if it does gem windows yet ^.^
It doesn't do any buildings yet. I've done the memory hacking required (if it works anyway), but I need to add the internal structures to deal with it. Windows particularly since they need to be transparent.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 11:54:33 am »

This is bloody impressive. My hat goes off to you. Works a treat on my system without even a hint of lag on a 6x6 with 86 z-levels. You may just have given me enough reason to actually dive in and *play* dwarf fortress again (been holding out for the next release).

TLDR: Thanks a tonne.
Glad you like it ;D

Whoa! I'd have to agree, it will make visualization of megaprojects much easier (whether showing off or using it to assist construction) and now that we have the color stuff available, we can see things in full color!

Neat looking dam there btw.
I have a confession to make about the Dam - I called it the 'Unfillable Dam' for a reason!

I built the whole bloody thing, including the sealing wall at the top that makes it watertight, and it took weeks. I had a Dragon attack, 2 Bronze Colussi, many many seiges, and goddamn hippos! And without any modding, so no super speedy dwarves.

My plan was to kill the 100+ dwarves (leaving the surviving original 6), breach the mountain stream and leave the game running on a spare computer for as long as it took to fill. The killing went very well, but after a day of running the map (at 2 fps) I discovered that because of evaporation the stream didn't flow fast enough to fill even the bottom layer.

So I cheated. When I loaded the map for the screenshot I ran a flood-fill algortihm. I thought it would look more impressive that way.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 11:59:50 am »

Awesome, I love how it uses the actual colors instead of generic blocks like 3Dwarf does.

I still think 3Dwarf looks better for giant statues and towers and similar structures, while this thing's better for screenshots of things that take advantage of the aforementioned feature.

Looks a bit blurry, but that's probably the fault of whatever you used to save the images, so I can't really form an accurate opinion before I use it myself. I'll try it out when I'm done with my giant-ass tower.

EDIT: are there some offsets in there somewhere I can change to get it to work with 40d9? That's one way it's not superior to 3Dwarf in. =p
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:11:41 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:16 pm »

Wow, I'm really impressed! The tool's output looks good, and that dam is amazing!

I'll have to try this out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 12:18:34 pm »

My laptop's graphics card apparently doesn't support the OpenGL shader required for this. Any way I can get around that?
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

peekama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 12:27:03 pm »

NOICE!
I'm definitely trying this when I get home!
It'd be cool if unicorn refuse gives off rainbow miasma.
It should totally bleed the laughter of children, too.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:39:27 pm »

I shoved my fortress on a flash drive and brought it to my parents' desktop computer; we recently upgraded our graphics card (no PCIx slots on this computer, so it's not the greatest graphics card but it's still better than the one stuck to my laptop).

Now when I try to run Visual Fortress I get this error message:

VisualFortress.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to starte because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may mix this problem.

Now what?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 12:40:19 pm »

One thing I'd like to see is a visualizer that can do forts in the ground... probably by turning off the surface and misting walls facing the camera...

Thoughts?

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 12:58:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is awesome. Downloading now.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »

EDIT: are there some offsets in there somewhere I can change to get it to work with 40d9? That's one way it's not superior to 3Dwarf in. =p

Yeah I'd love to get this working in d11 as it's my preferred version out of that branch so far. I took a peek at the memory 40d mapping xml and compared it to 3Dwarf's memory tables.. and it seems 3Dwarf uses a subset of your memory information. Is there a way to extrapolate the rest of the data using offests from d11 that I know work in 3Dwarf? I'm not very hackerish but I can use a hex editor if need be to poke around.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 02:02:17 pm »

Unlike 3Dwarf, this actually shows goblin fortresses.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 02:05:04 pm »

VisualFortress.exe - Unable To Locate Component
This application has failed to starte because MSVCR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may mix this problem.

Now what?
Oops. I deliberately used an older compiler because almost everyone already has the DLLs. You just need to download the DLL and drop it in the Visual Fortress dir. Google turns up some sensible results http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MSVCR71.dll&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a. I'll also include it next time I upload, bit of an oversite to leave it out really.

Yeah I'd love to get this working in d11 as it's my preferred version out of that branch so far. I took a peek at the memory 40d mapping xml and compared it to 3Dwarf's memory tables.. and it seems 3Dwarf uses a subset of your memory information. Is there a way to extrapolate the rest of the data using offests from d11 that I know work in 3Dwarf? I'm not very hackerish but I can use a hex editor if need be to poke around.
It's not that straightforward to find the offsets, but fortunately peterix on the Khazad team has already found them (thanks!). I'll convert them into my format and post them tomorrow.

One thing I'd like to see is a visualizer that can do forts in the ground... probably by turning off the surface and misting walls facing the camera...
You can almost do this already using the slice tool. With some modification to make certain bits translucent it might work as you describe. Automatically culling surface tiles would be more difficult in the current architecture.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 02:25:34 pm »

Thanks!  Looking forward to trying this out when I get home!

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 02:43:54 pm »

This is unbelievably good.

My only suggestion is to allow movement with arrow keys, not just WASD (I'm an arrow man), and to increase the rate at which movement happens, it seems too jerky and kinda slow at the moment.  Some of the tree models could probably use a little work as well, a couple have stretch-mark artifacts on the leaves and branches, doesn't seem to be my system doing it.

Overall, though, downright amazing.  I especially love the little touches of shadows and the little hill variations on ground level instead of just being a flat plane.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:17 pm »

Really really beautiful thing, i'm curious about how my fort will look once its completed, but damn, this is a really nice improvement over 3d dwarf, well cept for the fact 3ddwarf lets me get close and personal, but its still quite incredible.
This (best app to view overground stuff) + kazad (best app to view underground stuff) = win.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 03:46:56 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90