Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 316656 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2009, 12:58:30 am »

Just got back online after my move, amazing to see another new viewer pop up while I was away and so advanced too.  Unfortunaly I don't have the nessary shadder support to run the Visualizer. 

It sounds like your interested in the work peterix is doing on memory extraction, he dose some really nice work their and has found some really great data.  Map saving and loading is also included which looks to be something you want.  But your clearly skilled at memory extraction yourself as you have your own implementation already.  Perhaps you and peterix should work together on the extractor library, if your both interested I could provide the necessary SVN access.

On the other hand I'm interested in studying your rendering implementation to make improvements to Khazad, your use of real 3D models for trees is quite impressive.  You might be interested in some of the mouse and camera controls that are in Khazad.  Hope to see your code on SourceForge or similar system in the future.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2009, 08:09:31 am »

This sounds (and looks) great, however my graphics card does not support pixel shader 2, and using swiftshader as a workaround dosen't work  :'(

Do you think, in the future it would be possible to make this so it could run on lower end machines? (or at least in my case, a high end machine with a poor graphics card!)

Having an old nvidia geforce 3 card form 2002 i tried using a great utility called "riva tuner". After fiddling for a couple hours i was able to get the visual fortress to memory dump and load all the shaders via the wrapper without any errors in the log. However once the rendering of the map started my old drivers crashed. I have not yet updated the "stupidly old" drivers but if i have success i will report back with some more detailed info. I would  not suggest this to those who are not techie types (might cause hw damage) but someone with more knowledge might be able to get this hack to work. 

awsome work here....looking great.

Bud

Geforce 3 is only shader model 1.1, so it's doubtful that it'll ever work.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2009, 08:53:31 am »

Awesome. It's a pity all of my forts are so boring and utilitarian.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2009, 10:08:01 am »

Ok I have an old Radeon 9600, but after a little googling i found that every Radeon since 9500 supports Shader Model 2.0, so my card does too (ufff! now i am happy :)).

So it seems it isn't the cause of the "Failed to load terrain material" error...
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:29 am »

Two color support would be great, since at the moment, my sand is all red

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2009, 10:50:07 am »

All of these shots look amazing!  And am I to understand that it can/will support furniture and other constructed items!?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2009, 02:01:12 pm »

I like it. You can easily tell wood and copper apart (relevant to my project).

For full effect, I'd like to see bridges rendered soon enough.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:14:42 pm by Itnetlolor »

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2009, 07:30:06 pm »

I'd like it if you changed the model of fortifications so that they don't always look like they are meant for protecting only two directions, it makes my barracks and towers look terrible, And when carving fortifications they look like a floor is floating on nothing.

But besides that, This is the best Eyecandy for dwarf fortress, By far.
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2009, 08:13:37 pm »

Damn, we need a Mac version. The Mac has great OpenGL support but VMware doesn't support shader 2.0 quite yet.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2009, 08:52:20 pm »

Looks awesome, if/when you get furniture and workshops finished this will be absolutely amazing!

Only real constructive criticism is that the movement was a little jerky (may just be my computer, although I don't think so, 2GB ram, 2.4 Dual Core).  Oh, and a random suggestion, I'd love to see the blood that covers the entrance to my fortress... just a thought.  >:)
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2009, 10:03:15 pm »

Yea, the rendering is amazing. In using the ultrafinder, I found a site with a huge sheer cliff. Yes it wasn't a truly vertical cliff, but usng this, the whole scale comes out as just absolutely SHEER cliffs.

Also, I thought I once spotted evidence of faulting, but then realized that it was just a biome boundary.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2009, 11:55:58 pm »

I'd like it if you changed the model of fortifications so that they don't always look like they are meant for protecting only two directions, it makes my barracks and towers look terrible, And when carving fortifications they look like a floor is floating on nothing.

But besides that, This is the best Eyecandy for dwarf fortress, By far.

I agree. I've always visualized fortifications as arrow slits, not battlements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balistraria

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2009, 12:13:23 am »

I visualize fortifications that were directly constructed as such as battlements.  Any that were a wall that got fortifications carved as arrowslits or windows

Though it's probably difficult to tell those apart during map extraction.  The battlements are pretty though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2009, 01:38:53 am »

If their is open space above a fortification then display crenelated walls, if their is anything above it (even just floor) then use an arrow loop.  The arrow loops will need to be symmetrical front-2-back as theirs no way to determine what the 'inside' side is, I'd go with two v shaped wedges cut out from the rock that meet in the middle to create a slit.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2009, 02:51:07 am »

So here's an odd one.

Look at this section of my fort, the tombs, in DF :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now look at it in Visual Fortress :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Having every door at a 30 degree angle isn't quite dwarfy to me. No, that kind of.... TILTEDness is far more elfin than dwarfy.

Also, every time I load a map I get the following Non-fatal (It still loads and I can still zoom around) error :

"Unable to open image C:MyGamesDFVisual Fortress v0.701Texturestone smooth1.jpg" the file in the directory is a .png file. Not a major issue at all, but worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 02:53:27 am by Khyron »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 90