Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Stop Eating Those Sun Berries!  (Read 2886 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stop Eating Those Sun Berries!
« on: July 29, 2009, 07:12:59 pm »

My fort has a small patch where we grow sun berries to distill into delicious sunshine for the dwarves to drink and occasionally to generously offer to the mountainhomes in hope the King will come visit us (I have more expensive stuff but I always feel nice offering him delicious booze). Anyways, ever since the economy hit us my lazier workers cannot afford my delicious dwarven syrup roasts and the rivers have run out of turtle so come summertime the cheapest food seems to be my sun berries! They eat so many they're killing my industry! Obviously I could plant more sunberries but I like to keep a small operation. Exception being magma (I know someone will suggest this) is there any way I can increase the prices of the sun berries so no one will eat them. My trader has their price at 143% which seems higher but can I push this higher?
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Eating Those Sun Berries!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:14 pm »

Trying growing a cheaper food as an alternative.

If there's food that a dwarf can't afford, they'll get the cheapest food and won't have to pay for it, which in your case, is your precious sunberries. So plant some plump helmets or something.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 08:10:43 pm »

Elliot's right, you could also try planting some rat weed plants, I can't remember if they are eatable raw, though.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:05 pm »

Step 1: Build a self-contained dwarven monestary far from the rest of the fortress with its own food and water source and legendary dining hall.
Step 2: Assign several dwarves bedrooms there. Once they enter, lock the door.
Step 3: Create a chamber with doors on both sides which can easily be locked/unlocked. Possibly use an alternating floodgate system.
Step 4: Put a booze stockpile there.
Step 5: Grow and brew the sunberries in the completely self-contained monestary, have the monks transport the booze to the stockpile. When you have enough to ship to the main fortress, open outer door and close inner door.
Step 6: ???
Step 7: Profit!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:32:40 pm »

Elliot's right, you could also try planting some rat weed plants, I can't remember if they are eatable raw, though.

Rat weed is edible raw. The downside is, it has the same plant value as sun berries, so it won't stop them from eating your booze plants. They will eat fewer of them though, as they will have a chance to choose rat weed instead. Try growing some Prickle Berries and Rat Weed alongside your Sun Berries and see how that works.

It may be possible to get cheaper food by booze cooking Prickle Berry Wine or Sewer Brew with unskilled cooks. I'm not sure how cooking effects food value though, if it only increases value via skill multipliers you'll end up with stacks of 50 Prickle Berry Wine Biscuits worth only 1 dwarfbuck each. If cooking adds value innately, it may not work. The wiki doesn't cover this, I cook stuff because it's a great space saver.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 09:36:46 pm »

Rat weed is edible raw. The downside is, it has the same plant value as sun berries, so it won't stop them from eating your booze plants. They will eat fewer of them though, as they will have a chance to choose rat weed instead. Try growing some Prickle Berries and Rat Weed alongside your Sun Berries and see how that works.

It may be possible to get cheaper food by booze cooking Prickle Berry Wine or Sewer Brew with unskilled cooks. I'm not sure how cooking effects food value though, if it only increases value via skill multipliers you'll end up with stacks of 50 Prickle Berry Wine Biscuits worth only 1 dwarfbuck each. If cooking adds value innately, it may not work. The wiki doesn't cover this, I cook stuff because it's a great space saver.
I believe cooking works the same as any other crafting which means the quality level multiplies the base value of the foods.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:43:47 pm »

Plump helmets are the solution. Plump helmets are always the solution.

EDIT:
Except for when the solution is magma.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:46:19 pm »

Now to crossbreed plump helmets with magma...

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 10:03:49 pm »

Yum!  *chomp*.... OH GOD MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!  LITERALLY!
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:50 pm »

Yum!  *chomp*.... OH GOD MY MOUTH IS ON FIRE!  LITERALLY!

Magma Caps! It's the crop bred especially for troublesome noble dwarves.

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:34 pm »

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MUSHROOM_MAGMA_CAPS]
[TILE:130][COLOR:5:0:0]
[NAME:Magma Cap][NAME_PLURAL:Magma Caps]
[GROWDUR:300][VALUE:2]
[DRINK:!!dwarven wine!!:5:0:0]
[DRINKVALUE:2]
[SEEDNAME:Magma Cap spawn][SEED:4:0:1]
[GENPOWER:2]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFSTRING:fiery rounded tops]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[HOMEOTHERM:40000]

Please say this works...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:15:45 pm »

I think they would boil into nothing the instant they finished growing.

Which rocks.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:27 pm »

I can't say for the rest of it, but the homeotherm part doesn't work, unfortunately... at least I put that in to regular plump helmets, made a new world, and grew one... it didn't boil away, or even set anyone on fire when they picked it up.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:11 pm »

Can you give a fixed temp to a plant?

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:55:08 pm »

Can you give a fixed temp to a plant?

I guess not.  The answer must be, then:

MAGMA HELMET MONSTERS.
Pages: [1] 2 3