Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 4794804 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: it's 6/12 everybody put their horns and hOnKs on
« Reply #26760 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:01 pm »

there's no need to spend so danged much time reading fanfic.

As I've said before, fanfiction is my dirty pleasure which I indulge in not so very often.

Ah, fuck it, I have several tabs open that's fanfic right now.

Whats wrong with me

Then again, it could be the fact that I haven't got a new book in ages and I want something relatively new to read, you know?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26761 on: June 15, 2011, 07:57:50 pm »

Yeah, exactly.

Or, rather, I have more than enough books, but most of them are extremely serious and require loads and loads and loads of reading between the lines, memorization, thought, etc.  It's good to have a break.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26762 on: June 15, 2011, 08:03:18 pm »

I read lots of Homestuck fanfiction.
I see nothing shameful about this at all.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26763 on: June 15, 2011, 08:05:51 pm »

I don't understand why anyone with the willpower to grind out a story would write it about someone else's setting, characters, etc. It baffles me.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26764 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:53 pm »

I don't understand why anyone with the willpower to grind out a story would write it about someone else's setting, characters, etc. It baffles me.

I wrote it briefly for a couple of reasons.

a. Attempted infiltration of Hetalia fandom (social experiment)

b. Wanted to try out a new style of writing without fucking up my own characters

c. Permits writing without initial description, and assumes a certain base of knowledge, so that descriptions of manner, mood, etc., are emphasized.

Other than that, though, I guess some people just really love the source material.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26765 on: June 15, 2011, 08:27:35 pm »

I think (for some) it has to do with not knowing what to do, or where to start if they're to build everything up from scratch. Having pre-set guidelines helps kickstart the story-writing. According to I don't know how many people, I'm a great writer, but I can't write stories at all unless there's a very specific whatever to it, or if I am inspired for some reason, which is rare.
Most of the time, it's like I need a template to help me get inspired enough to come up with anything at all.
That's just me, but I'm sure there are plenty of others with this problem who also happen to write fanfic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:31:48 pm by applesauce machine »
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26766 on: June 15, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »

I think (for some) it has to do with not knowing what to do, or where to start if they're to build everything up from scratch. Having pre-set guidelines helps kickstart the story-writing. According to I don't know how many people, I'm a great writer, but I can't write stories at all unless there's a very specific whatever to it, or if I am inspired for some reason, which is rare.

Exactly.  For me at least, all the times I've tried writing something, explaining the characters and setting and getting the reader to understand who these people are and what's going on is the hardest part, because you're starting from scratch.  People write fanfic for the same reason most fiction is set in either a nonspecific pastiche of "the present day", or clearly defined points in history.  You don't have to explain anything to the reader, so you can just jump straight into the character interaction and plots.  It's an easy crutch, easy enough that it necessarily attracts the unskilled and uncreative, but there's nothing inherently wrong with writing about someone else's fictional characters anymore than writing fiction about real people and history.

I also have a confession to make, that I've had these tabs to the Homestuck fanfic archive open for several weeks, because I can't stomach the idea of bookmarking this stuff, but I didn't want to lose track of them either because they're really good.  In the spirit of the update, this guy has some very intriguing and intellectual explorations of Dave and Jade as characters, individually and with others.  I enjoyed reading them; those two especially have a lot of mind bending character analysis and perspectives floating around.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
« Reply #26767 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »

Those things and more. It's far, far easier to do, you're able to skip that boring bit inbetween the beginning and the body, and above all else you're able to expand the fandom you're involved in, which makes happy fuzzies all around. I personally like writing fanfiction because explaining a universe is hard, more and more the farther removed from our universe it is.

Many established writers started out on fanfiction, most of them outright admitting it (although I can't remember any specifics) for exactly this reason. It makes for good practice.

Personally I just like Alternia and it's culture; it's fun to write! I actually used Trolls as a sort of basis off of which I made my books Goblins. They're insectoids, start out as grubs, grow into humanoids. Of course, they aren't anywhere near trolls culturally. ;)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26768 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:59 pm »

dellaluce is awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26769 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »

I also have a confession to make, [...] those two especially have a lot of mind bending character analysis and perspectives floating around.
I have an email that I use for all purposes but emailing. One of these purposes is saving drafts with urls and notes and such-- stuff I don't want to bookmark or save to my computer, but want to keep track of. I unfortunately have a horrible tendency to take things with such nice, neat, orderly potential and, somehow, making it an organized mess that I can only navigate by having it in view because good God there's no way I'm ever memorizing even a portion of this ever-changing amalgam of letters and links.
I just described my bookmarks. I'm not certain of what's in them, but I can't do as much as efficiently without them.

Spoiler: Also, what (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:02:33 pm by applesauce machine »

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
« Reply #26770 on: June 15, 2011, 09:02:46 pm »

I'm sorry Applesauce I don't see a problem.  :)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #26771 on: June 15, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »

Speaking not as a ficcer (despite a vague and reoccurring interest (why so terrible, motivation?)) but as someone who knows and talks with one (reasonably decent, I believe) fairly regulardly, various reasons, some of which have been covered.

In this particular case, for this particular fandom (Golden Sun, if anyone cares), it's primarily as exploration, because the games leave so much unstated; enough to give an idea of what the characters, the world, and such are like... but leaving so much more to the imagination. You have a base; what comes after it? What else is there to the characters that the sources only hint at? What else is there in the world that is never seen? There's also practice (you can't become a better writer without actually writing), experimentation with new writing styles, a way to pass the time, or just ways to explore random plot-bunnies that won't get out of your head.

Reasons vary. Some things work better with some settings than others. Sometimes it's just to explore possibilities (what if X happened instead?), sometimes just to do more with the characters one likes (or hates (or just didn't get enough development)), or sometimes... well, ask the writer.

In more HS related news, referring back an update, someone erroneously explained Scratch's reaction as not wanting to see Slick PASSIONATELY HATE-SMOOCHING his ectobiological mother. I mention this because people (including myself) misread the assertion as meaning Snowman was Slick's ecto-mother rather than Scratch's (which she isn't on account of simply being... an instigator, I guess, but not quite mother). I mention this only to put the idea in your mind.

It wouldn't be the strangest thing in the comic.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26772 on: June 15, 2011, 09:24:17 pm »

If you think about it, Terezi is Karkat's sister, or at least cousin.

I try not to think about it.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26773 on: June 15, 2011, 09:28:57 pm »

If you think about it, Terezi is Karkat's sister, or at least cousin.

I try not to think about it.
You don't even have to think too hard about it, what with the INCESTUOUS SLURRY thing.
Remember when we all took a moment to lament the fact that the aforementioned phrase isn't a feature of common parlance in our civilization?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26774 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:24 pm »

And this is where I offend everyone by pulling out the rednecks seadwellers image again.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 1783 1784 [1785] 1786 1787 ... 3524