Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3517 3518 [3519] 3520 3521 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 4751495 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #52770 on: July 21, 2017, 10:23:36 pm »

But really, though.
Eridan did nothing wrong.

Everything he did was at worst approaching his bloodtype, mostly much less.
He defied his blood and was one of the bravest trolls.

My troll, Tavros, kinda shit the bed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52771 on: July 21, 2017, 11:10:54 pm »

even so eridan was kind of an asshole

like when he killed the troll egg thing (whatever it was called), and blinded sollux, and killed feferi (right? if i remember he killed feferi that same scene)
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52772 on: July 21, 2017, 11:22:52 pm »

I totally agree about the egg part...  Except that it was the same plot inevitability that affected so many other characters.
Yeah, he did do it.  And he was always going to do it.  The times he didn't do it were other timelines.

As for fighting Sollux, well, that was simple common sense.
Eridan could have killed the lowbloods at any point before Hivebent, simply by inaction (not slaying as many lusi for Pacifist Princess Feferi while she cuddled her cuttlefish).  He specifically knew this, but instead continued to commission over-the-top doomsday devices he didn't expect to work (cooperating with a landdweller to do so).

All the trolls were silly preteens trying to figure out their roles in life.  As seadwelling royalty, Eridan was supposed to despise landdwellers, and he *failed*.  He liked and respected his "inferiors" on the hemospectrum (Karkat and Kanaya for example).  He did his best to cooperate in Sgrub, begging the others to visit his land.  Maybe he was an idiot to aggro the angels, but I suspect not... either way, he was fighting for the team and hoping for help.  He even tried to help Jade, a human!

Does anyone ever thank him for defying his blood caste?  Not on screen.  We can only hope that Karkat did at some point, since they seemed to have an actual friendship, and Karkat is cool like that.

Now, I'm not saying Feferi was wrong to break up with him.  Obviously she had the right to, and I'm sure it was hard to be his moirrail.  The guy was an emotional train wreck!  However, she doesn't seem to appreciate all the lusus-killing he did.  As a troll empress I'm sure she was capable of killing to feed her lusus, probably a lot more capable than Eridan.  But she never had to before, we don't know if she ever did, and she seems to love animals!  I'm just saying Eridan (the supposedly genocidal) had been doing her a major favor for years, and she acts like the whole relationship was a burden on only her.

Does that justify him murdering her?  Not at all.  And he didn't.

Eridan dueled Sollux in the land of brains and pitchforks.  I don't think we know much about the circumstances of this, except that Eridan lost.  This seems like perfectly reasonable behavior for two trolls fighting over a matesprit.  Eridan presumably accepts this and continues to play Sgrub, instead of murdering Sollux in his sleep or something.

Later, after Sgrub, on the meteor, Kanaya tries to Return to the core.  Eridan approaches Fef.  Having acquired vast magical powers of Hope, he is pursuing a plan to *actually do something*.  DIPLOMACY!  With Jack, so he's kinda doomed, but his heart is in the right place.  The trolls are literally waiting to die, they have no plan and no solidarity left.  Eridan doesn't even go off by himself, he tries to talk Feferi into coming with.  He's not trying to save himself.  He's trying to reunite the troll royalty to officially negotiate a surrender, sparing the trolls a guaranteed death.  (That's not conjecture, he says as much).

He does an admirable job at ignoring the mustard blood heckler as he presents the plan.  Feferi (fortunately) vetoes the plan.  She does so with a complete lack of diplomacy, including forbidding a *sea-dweller* from using *fish puns*, but hey.  She's the Empress.

Sollux butts in again to say "ii 2hould have killed you on lobaf when ii had the chance."  Followed by ATTACKING.  He even powers up first.

Um, what the hell was Eridan supposed to do?  He's getting assaulted with deadly intent by a lowblood simply for *suggesting* a plan.  He didn't even say he would defy Feferi, Sollux didn't give him a chance.  Eridan's response is plain self defense, fully justified under human OR Alternian customs.  Frankly, proper Alternian behavior would surely have been for him to kill Sollux far earlier.

Notably, he doesn't even kill Sollux in self defense.  (Maybe halfway?  That part is weird.)  He stands there as Feferi checks Sollux, and then... attacks Eridan with a deadly weapon.  Again, Eridan responds with self defense.  He looks grim, and who wouldn't.  His ex moirrail, Empress, and unrequited love is about to stab him for knocking a lowblood unconscious.  This is possibly when he snaps.

Destroying the matriorb is impossible to defend, except that it's probably a moot point.  The Empress is dead, Kanaya's clearly about to attack him too, basically everyone is trying to murder him.  The situation is completely hopeless so he finally, for the first and last time, listens to his blood.  Whether he was justified in killing Kanaya depends on whether she was about to attack him before he destroyed the orb.

Keep in mind, I'm arguing using human morals.  I really doubt that Alternian law would judge anything he did as wrong.  The only questionable matter was Feferi's death.  On the one hand she was the Empress.  On the other hand it was self defense, and she was only one rung higher.

Karkat doesn't attack Eridan, so Eridan doesn't attack him.

Cronus is probably a fine troll but gog damn is he a terrible person.  I see him as people's unfair perception of Eridan, personified.  He even says "Nyeh"!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:24:46 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52773 on: July 21, 2017, 11:28:28 pm »

cop-out
cop-out 2 electric boogaloo

jk i can respect your responses
Black lives matter.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52774 on: July 22, 2017, 02:19:32 am »

no the "was destined to do it" is definitely a copout

it was still a decision that he was capable of making

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #52776 on: August 29, 2017, 01:55:34 pm »

hopefully it's good at all
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52777 on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:31 pm »

Hiveswap comes out today.

Or, if you're reading this in the future...

It's already here.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #52778 on: September 14, 2017, 03:35:48 pm »

Got the email aswell.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #52779 on: September 20, 2017, 03:21:57 am »

It was cool, albeit a bit short.  I hope the other acts are longer.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52780 on: November 27, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »

Homestuck released 288 new zodiac symbols and ALSO made a dumb test for symbol, moon and aspect.

http://hs.hiveswap.com/ezodiac/index.php

I got this one :V

Let's see, a spiraling hole, associated with darkness and altering the flow of time?

I always knew I was akin to a black hole.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #52781 on: November 28, 2017, 05:22:36 am »

I originally got:

But then I looked around until I found one that better describes me:

Or maybe this one?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 05:25:09 am by DreamThorn »
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52782 on: November 28, 2017, 07:07:39 pm »

this is a meme, right

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52783 on: November 29, 2017, 05:31:13 pm »

Got Scorsces, but Capripia fits better.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #52784 on: December 10, 2017, 05:05:40 pm »

How do you guys think this comic will be viewed in 10-15 years?

Do you think another webcomic will ever become the sort of hub of intense fandom and creative output that Homestuck was for most of its run?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 3517 3518 [3519] 3520 3521 ... 3524