Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Amazing fortress idea + mega project.

(1/2) > >>

Hippoman:
Imagine you go to a place with a giant canyon., thats about all it is. you could make one too.

THen you build in the sides of it. make it soo steep theres no way back up.
Make it so deep, no thermonuclear cat splosion could get you.

You floor off the top, lock your self in. There is no way out. There is no way in. There is nothing left for you above the ground, only below. Just...dig deeper, and farther.

Then i just came up with another idea.

a opposite of a pyramid, a pyramid that points...DOWN. you dig it out so that you go DOWN, not up.
So you enter a trap door, go through mazes after mazes, traps, and such, all the way to the tomb of the great ones, filled with all the artifacts of years past, let the goblins try. for you have tamed dragons, and Giant cave spiders, Elephants and more. They are there to guard, for no one will enter. No one will leave. The ultimate dwarven pyramid.

Lordinquisitor:
I did the second one already, but it was an relative small one. It`s much faster than building one pyramid out of walls- But it`s also more "confusing".

Fishbreath:
I like the idea of building an entrance, building a waterfall over the entrance, then building a retractable bridge and some aqueducts to divert the waterfall when you want to go in or out.

You'd need a lot of terrain relief, though.

DennyTom:
a) can look very nice
b) will have awesome acoustics
c) few enemy archers will be able to wipe whole fortress

Slogo:

--- Quote from: Fishbreath on July 30, 2009, 10:51:42 am ---I like the idea of building an entrance, building a waterfall over the entrance, then building a retractable bridge and some aqueducts to divert the waterfall when you want to go in or out.

You'd need a lot of terrain relief, though.

--- End quote ---

I've tried that before (with magma no less). It's doable, the dwarves will try to path through it (and often times attempt going through) even while it's running. So unless you have an automatic shut-off they'll still try to go through. Of course if the waterfall flows into some grates that probably won't really be a problem. An automatic shut off also seems to have trouble with wagons and caravans (they didn't seem to trigger my civilian pressure plates) and invaders will still trip them so your waterfall will let everyone in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version