Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where the heck...  (Read 783 times)

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where the heck...
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:17:50 am »

Are the random encounters? i mean seriously how can i get some skills if i have to walk throughout the map 10 minutes for an encounter? i guess i am not doing something i must have been doing? should i keep walking in local area than in travel mode? Eh sorry but i started playing DF for a week and some things are confusing...

And where can i find some companions? i read wiki and the guide help for adventurers and it said to ask some drunkards, but i kept searching for them for hours in human cities.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Where the heck...
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:38:06 am »

Fast travel. Look in your bindings, i think it defaults to capital T.

It lets you get around WAY faster. IE within an RL day. Anyway, that's where random encounters pop up, finding enemies just roaming in the world is a bitch.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:55:50 am »

Yea i know fast travel, but i bearly find enemies there too. Where is the main source of (s)killing up for a fighter? and again how to get companions...

Kode527

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:59 am »

Pobably no encounters is because of bad luck or low-savage area. Try caves for training, from them you'll always find some creatures to kill.
If you want companions you should ask some weapon-skilled guys in some towns to join you, farmers, fishers etc. won't companion but axemen, spearmen, crossbowmen etc may.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:08:42 am by Kode527 »

RustKnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:28:07 am »

Ou i see now, well i guess i should have more skills in order to convince them? I heard lines like '' i would lead you if i would join you'' or something similar...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:50 am »

Ou i see now, well i guess i should have more skills in order to convince them? I heard lines like '' i would lead you if i would join you'' or something similar...

higher your skills and the more quests you've completed the better chance you have of them joining you.

Oh and gen a world that stops somewhere between year 2 and year 100. More creatures, more quests, more fun.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:47:28 pm »

Yes ... or just go butcher a town or something.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 06:07:42 pm »

If you play an elf then normal animals won't attack until you attack them.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit