Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Comments/Questions playing kobold from civ  (Read 1334 times)

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Comments/Questions playing kobold from civ
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:49:24 am »

Okay, I'm still new here, and I'm trying out different things in adventurer mode to try and get acclimated to everything.  I added goblins and kobolds as playable, but starting out naked and skill-less started getting old, so I swapped elves out of their spot in the adventure tiers and put in the kobolds.  I have some questions and comments about the experience:
-Finally, a kobold that isn't easy drowining bait!
-I notice that there is a Knife Use skill available, but if I take levels in it, no knife.  Too bad.
-If you decide to be a swordsman, you automatically get a shield, even though there's no shield use available.  If I use it long enough, can I acquire Shield Use? 
-Is it true with every race that ranged weapons take automatic precedence?  I took 5 levels of sword and 2 levels of bow, but I ended up with a copper bow and arrows. (I think.  Maybe it was knife not sword...)
-I spawned in front of a kobold's cave, and they seem to have been promoted into a proper civ.  There are actual guards, miners, etc. in the cave, but none of them can be talked to or even move.  It's a cave full of kobold statues.  Would regenning fix this, or is there another problem here?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:47:36 pm by Archaalen »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Comments/Questions playing kobold from civ
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:35:41 pm »

Okay, I'm still new here, and I'm trying out different things in adventurer mode to try and get acclimated to everything.  I added goblins and elves as playable, but starting out naked and skill-less started getting old, so I swapped elves out of their spot in the adventure tiers and put in the kobolds.  I have some questions and comments about the experience:
-Finally, a kobold that isn't easy drowining bait!
-I notice that there is a Knife Use skill available, but if I take levels in it, no knife.  Too bad.
-If you decide to be a swordsman, you automatically get a shield, even though there's no shield use available.  If I use it long enough, can I acquire Shield Use? 
-Is it true with every race that ranged weapons take automatic precedence?  I took 5 levels of sword and 2 levels of bow, but I ended up with a copper bow and arrows. (I think.  Maybe it was knife not sword...)
-I spawned in front of a kobold's cave, and they seem to have been promoted into a proper civ.  There are actual guards, miners, etc. in the cave, but none of them can be talked to or even move.  It's a cave full of kobold statues.  Would regenning fix this, or is there another problem here?

um, why would you start naked as an elf? Elves are a standard race you can play with.

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 01:40:29 pm »

No, not as elves, but as kobolds and goblins.  Thanks for catching that for me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:47:54 pm by Archaalen »

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:34:44 pm »

bump.  Any answers to these questions?

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:25:39 pm »

You can't talk to them because kobolds have the [UTTERANCES] tag, which makes their speech gibberish. That's why their names don't translate to anything, too. I can't remember if this is true, but I think [UTTERANCES] goes in the creature entry, so you might be able to take that out without needing to gen a new world.

I'm not sure what's up with the knife thing, though. I've tried that myself and the same thing happens. It might just be hardcoded.

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 11:41:58 pm »

Okay, so the wiki says that kobolds don't move much.  I guess that makes me dumb.  I tried deleting [UTTERANCES] from creature_standard, but no effect.  Kobolds still can't even be selected for talking to.  The only noticeable change is that when starting a new kobold (still without regen), I get fancier, translatable names. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:46:39 am by Archaalen »