Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Even MORE computer trouble!  (Read 1180 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Even MORE computer trouble!
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »

Having fun with system32!

Relevant: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netfxbcl/thread/8a670d69-ac5c-40d1-9bd8-3b1111f2d544

Problem: I tried to install the 62bit Net Framework 2.0 on my computer, got an error, and realized that I have a 32bit operating system! Huh! This wouldn't be a problem, except I can't install the 32bit version without removing the damaged 62bit version. Can someone walk me through the process of removing Net Framework 2.0?

EDIT: Forgot to add, I need to manually remove it, since the installer is borked and won't uninstall it.
EDIT2: Also forgot to add, I HAVE 20 WINDOWS OUT AND HAVE BEEN TRYING TO INSTALL THE DC MOD FOR MoW FOR 8 HOURS!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 09:23:09 pm by woose1 »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Even MORE computer trouble!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:19:10 pm »

Wait, how did you manage to get a hold of a 62 bit version? Arent those sort of inexistant?

Anyway, your best bet would probably to track down all files and registry keys related to the framework and kick them off your system.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:52:16 pm »

Wait, how did you manage to get a hold of a 62 bit version? Arent those sort of inexistant?
Sorry, I meant 64 bit.  :-X
Anyway, your best bet would probably to track down all files and registry keys related to the framework and kick them off your system.
Yes, and what are those files and how would I delete the registry keys?  :)

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:22 am »

Click Start, then Run. In the window that appears, type "regedit" (without the quotes) and hit enter. This will open the registry editor. You can search for the names of registry entries here, so search things like DotNet (as that is what they are often called internally) and delete ones that you are CERTAIN will not cause any more problems by removing.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:52:13 pm »

Well, the easiest (least effort as in you typing and clicking) way would be to make a backup of all the files you want to keep, then reformatting the drive and starting over from scratch. Make sure you have the OS installation CDs before you start. ;)

For future reference, you can run a windows update and it should install the latest .net framework (IIRC, it's version 3.5 SP1)