Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we stop this round and start a new one?

Yes
- 14 (60.9%)
No
- 8 (34.8%)
Other (explain)
- 1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47]

Author Topic: Paranormal Mafia - Round 7 - Game is ended  (Read 58387 times)

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal Mafia - Round 7 - Game is ended
« Reply #690 on: August 08, 2009, 04:21:20 pm »

I also don't like the idea of paranoid/naive varients of all the detective roles. It's not only more complicated, but both paranoid/naive varients exist only to give false information, and are worse than townies. Plus, they could trigger war vets or sentry guns, getting themselves killed, making themselves even more anti-town.
That would be the point - a negative role.  I don't see why there's something inherently bad about having roles worse than townies.

As long as they get the right weights, it works out.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 08, 2009, 05:46:12 pm »

I also don't like the idea of paranoid/naive varients of all the detective roles. It's not only more complicated, but both paranoid/naive varients exist only to give false information, and are worse than townies. Plus, they could trigger war vets or sentry guns, getting themselves killed, making themselves even more anti-town.
That would be the point - a negative role.  I don't see why there's something inherently bad about having roles worse than townies.

So roles "worse" than townies seems fine, though I think I share josh's objection to false information. I'd rather that a failure generate incomplete or no information than false information, and that no "investigative" role always generate no information (an always-scared agent, for example). The swapped-role townies (goth, kook) seem fine, though, and might be turned into attributes like mind shield rather than roles in and of themselves (so you could have a kook telepath, or a goth war veteran). They might even be able to show up in games without their corresponding scum group, as well.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #692 on: August 08, 2009, 05:49:15 pm »

Good point.

I'll think about it....  Meanwhile... remember my 5 questions before adding any role (or keeping any role)
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 08, 2009, 05:51:00 pm »

I'll think about it....  Meanwhile... remember my 5 questions before adding any role (or keeping any role)
I'm not sure if the burden should always go that way.  I mean, if you did that, you'd probably just have a blank or almost blank list of roles.

The swapped-role townies (goth, kook) seem fine, though, and might be turned into attributes like mind shield rather than roles in and of themselves (so you could have a kook telepath, or a goth war veteran). They might even be able to show up in games without their corresponding scum group, as well.
Perhaps someone who appears to be an alien when investigated is also an option?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 08, 2009, 05:51:28 pm »

GG

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 08, 2009, 06:07:58 pm »

Goth doppleganger makes me giggle. It's anti-town, but not by much.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 08, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »

Goth doppleganger makes me giggle. It's anti-town, but not by much.
You'd think there was something very seriously wrong with a Goth doppelganger, wouldn't you?

Also, perhaps the visible role alien could be something like a Crackpot.  I know not all aliens are bad, but it would certainly muddy the waters a bit if the cop found out that this person was an alien when he wasn't.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 10, 2009, 12:46:58 pm »

What I find even more amusing is a Kook Doppelganger.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:27 pm »

Hmmm...I suppose there could be Kook Cultists and Goth Doppelgangers, but you can't have Goth Cultists or Kook Doppelgangers (since their abilities are at odds with their actual race).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 10, 2009, 01:33:14 pm »

Why not? I need the lulz!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: August 10, 2009, 02:08:35 pm »

Yeah, but it's a waste of a slot for the Dopps/Cult.

In any case, new round sign-ups have started.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 11, 2009, 09:48:17 am »

Yeah, but it's a waste of a slot for the Dopps/Cult.

That's why I was thinking that it could be more like mind shield, so that a kook wouldn't only be a kook, but could have a "real" power role as well. Though goth cultists and kook doppelgangers still wouldn't make sense, since the kook/goth wouldn't change anything.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 11, 2009, 03:03:16 pm »

On the contrary, if it's a dopp-only game, and there's a goth dopp, the agent will see him as cult, and appropriately say "WTF?"  Then they talk, and the dopp says he's a goth.  The dopp's real race is therefore hidden.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 11, 2009, 03:43:56 pm »

On the contrary, if it's a dopp-only game, and there's a goth dopp, the agent will see him as cult, and appropriately say "WTF?"  Then they talk, and the dopp says he's a goth.  The dopp's real race is therefore hidden.
So he'd act basically like a Dopp leader?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 11, 2009, 03:54:21 pm »

The only real problem is that the Goth and Kook's role can only be confirmed by a Disciple of Truth or an Alien Scanner. They both show up as 'No Role' to the detective. A Telepath will still see the correct goal, of course, unless they have a mind shield.

For now, Goth and Kook are Human only roles, although I might change that at some point.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47]