Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

The Effects of Dwarf Fortress on the Eee 701 : A Scientific Study

(1/3) > >>

Graven:
In the interest of science, I decided to test how exactly would the newest version of DF affect the elusive and oft-forgotten grandparent of the netbook species - the Eee 701. After a few thorough and re-tested professionally evaluated experiments, I have reached the following conclusions, but first : the setup.

Eee pc, second-hand, undamaged (perhaps with the exception of the fan, which was, supposedly, fixed by the company that sold it to the original owner), black.

Dwarf Fortress, ASCII variant, 40d13

Init.txt edit in the following way :
- temperature : off
- weather : off
- fps limit : 100
- graphical fps limit : 30
- population limit : 200
- embark area : 3x3

There were 3 sub-stages of the study. The results, as follow :
3x3 embark, magma pit, river.

- eeepc unplugged, 400 mhz. Result - an average of 9 fps with the original 7 dwarves, no job designations, no activity at all. Unplayable
- eeepc plugged, 600 mhz. Result - an average of 12 fps with the original 7 dwarves, one digging designation. Unplayable, but 30% improvement.
- eeepc plugged, overclocked to 900 mhz via Eeectl. Result - an average of 15 fps with the original 7 dwarves, one digging designation, one tree-cutting designation, one refuse stockpile. Unplayable, but 25% improvement over 600 mhz.

Ultimate conclusion : dwarf fortress is, sadly, completely and fully unplayable on the Eee 701. All who state otherwise are madmen, driven insane by the inability to obtain their daily dose of DF.

And yeah, I had a lot of free time to write this :)

Divinebeing:
Your efforts will be remembered eternally in the most loved pieces of Dwarfistory.

DeathOfRats:

--- Quote from: Graven on August 02, 2009, 08:01:56 am ---Result - an average of 15 fps with the original 7 dwarves, one digging designation, one tree-cutting designation, one refuse stockpile. Unplayable, but 25% improvement over 600 mhz.
--- End quote ---

*winces* What happens if you drop GFPS to 8 or so? I usually play with 15 (not on an eee, of course :P), but people have reported DF being playable at 8, and it might get you a few extra FPS.

It would still seem totally unsuitable for anything but the hermit challenge (and then only if you don't use water/magma), but it might work slightly better.

Martin:
Morul is running in the neighborhood of 15FPS and it's pretty awful. Temperature on but draining the magma pipe is what's killing the framerate, but it's going to be a LONG time before that project is over, so I just have to suck it up.

Romtos:
Eee 1000HE, 2gb ram (I mention that since it's customized). Laptop is plugged in. (This should not have any effect on cpu though)
Mine is less scientific.

4x4 area
Weather and temp off
Mayday graphic set
200fps limit
1st test: 7 dwarves without job designation
2nd test: 56 dwarves (old game I had)

1st test: 150-200 fps while not moving. 80-100 fps while frantically moving over the map.
2nd test: Mostly in the range of 30-50 in underground areas. 25-50 in above ground area with the whole human trade caravan at the fortress.

Unless I'm wrong, that would be quite playable. (I'm quit a noob)
I'm no expert in this areas, so is this information useful?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version