Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Smoothing OCD?

(1/6) > >>

Atlas:
Anyone else suffer from this disorder?

Martin:
Atlas's dreams are plagued by maps containing nothing but silty loam layers.

Scarpa:
Since I've started playing with a smooth wall character set I'm obsessed with smoothing every stone wall in the fortress.

I hate engravings though, so I end up with a ton of legendary engravers that never get to use their skill properly, hah!

Skid:
I hate smoothing walls because they don't match up with the unsmoothed areas or dirt.  And I hate engraving floors because the light background looks weird.  So I always engrave all my walls and just smooth the floors.

Martin:
A good character set helps a lot with this.

If you look at one of my kings chambers you can see the difference between engraved and non-engraved walls. The engraved walls have a white dotted outline and the engraved floors have a single white dot in the center.

The problem I have with a lot of sets is that the designers come up with really nice single tiles for floors and such, but it winds up being WAY too busy when you have hundreds of them. The tiles that will cover huge expanses (floors, walls, stockpiles, etc) need to be very subtle or else the objects in the foreground get lost.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version