Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Fortress  (Read 701 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Old Fortress
« on: August 02, 2009, 12:04:22 pm »

I'm new to DF, and very new to Adventure mode. I am trying to go and explore an old, adandoned Fortress. How do I find it?

(And also, Adventure mode moves very slowly. Can I fix this?)
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Old Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »

First: You DID actually make the fortress right? And by your definition, what exactly do you define as 'old'.

More to the point: I think you simply press Q or U on the map and it brings up a list of sites you can choose from for the indicator to go to, so you can easily navigate to it. Simply select the name of your abandoned fort and it'll zoom right over there, allowing you to make your way there.

As to the last bit: Adventure mode should work fine if you can run Fortress Mode easily. You probably have to much crap running in the background. Another good tip is to play without fullscreen on, though to my experience, that makes it run slower for me.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »

It's not actually my fortress, I want to explore 'Commontorches' from a Let's Play thread.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:56:32 pm »

Ah. The lazy man's method.

But yeah, there SHOULD be a key that open up the map and quest information panel, and it should be pretty easy to navigate it to whatever abandoned forts you have in that world.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:40:22 am »

(And also, Adventure mode moves very slowly. Can I fix this?)

Try turning off the 'auto-center' option (the one that makes it center on your adventurer when you move). It worked wonders for me.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."