Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Release...  (Read 5594 times)

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Release...
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:47:14 pm »

Am I missing something, somewhere? I haven't seen a new release since September last year. I wouldn't blink normally, but Toady speaks of all kinds of activity and I'm wondering if I have some sort of cache error with the download page or something?

Can someone in the know straighten me out and let me know if there have been recent releases of the game, or when the next release is expected?

Cheers!

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Re: New Release...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:54:02 pm »

From what I understand the next release is a fairly substantial one. Its going to require world regenning, so a lot of changes that have been put on hold for a long time are being lumped into it.

Personally I can't wait. The new meeting areas and uniforms are just want I've been needing.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 11:00:05 pm »

Its going to be a MASSIVE update.

Also there has been the introduction and work on the Open GL version over this last year thats up to version 13 now.  The link for that is right up top on these forums in the news section.  "News: July 6, 2009: OpenGL/SDL DF 40d13 is up for testing."  It improves the speed of DF but still needs a lot of testing.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:10:06 pm »

This is why it's taking so long.

When this is complete, DF will be a substantially different game. I'm excited for it, but know it'll be a while longer.

Occupy yourself with megaprojects a while longer, but be aware that you'll be unable to transfer saves (pretty sure of that)

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 11:14:38 pm »

The next version will probably be on the same scale of epicness as when DF went from 2D to 3D, if not more epic.

Previous version saves will definitely not work.  I would be absolutely shocked if they did.

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:13:25 am »

Exciting stuff! I'll wait patiently then, until the new version touches down.

WhatDoesThisLeverDo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:02 am »

I can't wait for it. The updated squad system and subterranean stuff will be my most sought updates. I will no longer feel like making a couple of uber dudes useless because they decide they'd rather eat or party then go out and fight the hordes outside my gates.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:38:32 pm »

Can't wait for the next release. So much new and improved stuff. Great fun. Probably hard as hell for Toady One and Three Toe to do I'd think. That's just me though probably, I suck at that kind of stuff.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:22:41 am »

;D
Is there gonna be a 40d14 this month? Just needed to know if and when that special day would come. My laptop is going crazy without something new to do! ;)
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:24:35 am »

Start an adventurer. Hunt down and kill every last dragon on a large map. With your bare hands. That'll give your laptop something to do.

Increase Dragon frequency to 100+ in the data files. Start a fortress. Capture as many as you can. Breed them. Repeat for many many game years. Release the hordes upon hordes of baby and adult dragons. Hunt down and kill every last one of them. With your bare hands. That'll give your laptop something to do.

Bonus: Do the same thing with elephants, hippos, eagles, etc., all on different forts in the same world and release everything. Hunt down every last nightmare and kill them. With your bare hands.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 12:35:30 am by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:29:09 am »

It seems like the update is going to take a very, very long time to finish. I'm guessing around new years, 2010.

So feel free to play all you want and create an epic fortress.

waldoknoesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 06:55:49 am »

Seeing as dwarfs can get fat or muscle-like, why not try to make an fort full of obese dwarfs... Then try and do a Biggest Loser contest!
Waldo having a rampage @ goblin site

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 07:49:39 am »

I can wait for the update since it's going to be a big one.  But really, I read about some "burrow" system, and frankly, it sounds like a godsend.  Finally, I can confine the damn smiths and glass industry dwarves... to the magma forges. 

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:57:43 am »

Previous version saves will definitely not work.  I would be absolutely shocked if they did.

Save compat is very broken, but a lot of changes were made in order to ensure that further breaks would be unlikely.  (Despite the fact that nobody much cared about the break)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 11:17:24 am »

Even if save compat was fixed, the amount of changes alone are big enough to make it not compatible or cause problems with old saves.
Pages: [1] 2