Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 16755 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Disc Fortress
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:11:26 am »

AKA:Dwarf World, Dwisk Wortress

We are all aware that Diskworld Dwarves and Dwarf Fortress Dwarves are virtually identical. They are both almost totaly elgietarian between genders, obsessed with wealth, value mines and crafts over Dwarven life, and while quite law-abiding, are also totally mercyless.

So, let's make this official! Let's plan a conversion for DF that will bring it into the Century of the Fruitbat.

We'll need:
-Minerals (such as tallow layers and such)
-Races (Trolls, plus things like wherewolves and others)
-Mapp (possible to paint a map based off the Mapp?)
-Plants (mostly mundane, but it wouldn't be the Sto plains without cabbages)
-Magic (luckily, most magic is either so esoteric that it "never happens" or rather mundane, like wherewolf transformations)
-Languages (Dwarfish is already pretty good, though possibly Diskworld Dwarfish phrases could be added. Like Lawn Ornament.)

In fact, since Kobolds, Goblins, and practically all Elves would have to be removed, we might need to make a few extra "races" or "civilizations" just to keep things interesting. Though it would be nice to have a siege of Trolls that is only slowed by having lava poured on.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:55:40 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disk Fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »

I'd be quite thrilling to run my own AnkhMorpork, with watchmen patrolling through streets.  :D

Totally Awesome.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:48:43 pm »

Wouldn't that be pulling it kicking and screaming out of the Century of the Fruitbat? :P

Humans, Dwarfs* and Trolls are the primary races of Discworld. You might want to include Pictsies as a kobold-like race. Perhaps Vampires and/or Werewolves.
Wouldn't the next update be a bit better for this, since you could actually have the trolls made out of stone? I think you can have them be described with stone names now, but the next update will give you tissue materials.

This is an intriguing project and I look forward to seeing it flourish.

*Not Dwarves. Tolkien had Dwarves, Pratchett has Dwarfs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:52:25 pm »

actually, eles ARE there, and, wouldn't you know it, they are the bloodthirsty brutes we all hate.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »

Elves are technically in another world. Maybe have them as the HFS. But then you also have the Dungeon Dimensions that are good for HFS.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:16:08 pm »

Picsties as kobolds sounds awesome... and somewhat terrifying. I'm all for it!

Also, and in keeping with my handle here... SQUEAK!  :D

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:23:04 pm »

We are all aware that Diskworld Dwarves and Dwarf Fortress Dwarves are virtually identical. They are both almost totaly elgietarian between genders, obsessed with wealth, value mines and crafts over Dwarven life, and while quite law-abiding, are also totally mercyless.

Dont click the link, if you value your life:
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:10:49 pm »

Aww poo, and I've only read Mort.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:49:00 pm »

Aww poo, and I've only read Mort.

Read the rest of the books. They're awesome fun. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 01:57:51 pm »

We might also need gnomes and zombies.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 04:16:42 pm »

Gnome fortress would be fun. Even a Gnome adventurer might be.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:18:25 pm »

The problem is, to get something with the strength of a Discworld gnome you'd have to increase its size, which rather defeats the point of a gnome.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:15:57 pm »

Don't forget that trolls should leave behind rocks when they die instead of corpses.

Or maybe a smelter reaction that produces stone and 32 small diamonds from their corpses, though i like the first solution better.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 07:57:02 pm »

The problem is, to get something with the strength of a Discworld gnome you'd have to increase its size, which rather defeats the point of a gnome.
[DAMBLOCK]

Anyway, kobolds are in the Discworld, they are just petty annoyances that don't affect the main characters often.  I think goblins are in, but essentially with the same deal as kobolds.  That or they are an ethnic minority in cities, like bogeymen.  Elves should be in tundras, and should be evil.  Don't forget golems; those are good too.  Sapient pearwood and octiran will need to be in there as well.  (megabeast, tameable:  The Luggage)

I recall seeing 'dwarves' as the plural in his books.  Besides, "dwarfs" normally refers to the group of real-world humans that have a genetic thing that causes small (large?  not sure what adjective applies to size ratios) limb-to-torso size ratios.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 01:37:24 am »

'Tis dwarfs. I have a copy of most Discworld books, so don't argue. ;D

Anyway. Trolls leave a stone statue when they die, they don't exactly crumble, just retain the same shape.

Also, a new, exceedingly rare and valuable gem, Cubes, should be modded in. Not sure how to do an Axle, though.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15