Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Disc Fortress  (Read 16747 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Disk Fortress
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 08:58:28 am »

Dungeon dimension... things should be good for HFS.  And yes, Diskworld dwarves are very much like the Dwarf Fortress Dwarves.

Trolls, humans, dwarves are the obvious ones, although it may be necessary to add a race of "wizards" (who will inhabit dark towers, of course).

I was thinking of adding golems, but can't think of a viable way of having them work.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 09:40:27 am »

I don't think that wizards would be able to survive World Gen.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 09:55:09 am »

I dunno, the sourcerers would certainly obliterate each other.  But wizards are strong enough to survive, right?  They'll probably need some kind of modded in magic missile...

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 10:01:24 am »

Hmm, I don't know. The ones in the discworld novels, while not that good at magic, are pretty keen on the survival part  ;D Particularly Ridcully.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 10:14:57 am »

Wait, aren't we thinking Rincewind here?  I suppose he's a wizard, but since he can't do any spells...

If he were to appear in this, he could be a megabeast with almost no attack and speed 0  ;D.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 10:23:32 am »

I'm more thinking of problems with not breeding (the wizards, I mean).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 10:50:10 am »

Well, they're celibate, since the 7th son of a wizard becomes a deadly sourcerer.  Not sure we could implement that though  ;).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 11:24:05 am »

"Wizzards" and "Wizards" could be rare castes of Humanity.

Hm... we may have to make an "Ank-Morpork" race that doesn't reproduce but has babysnatcher, and thus steals a wide variety of babies early on, giving rise to mixed cities. However, I suspect that that we will be able to simply create "mixed" empires from the start.

Now, it's complex enough just to make the parts of the world, but there's also making the world map. Luckilly we have the Mapp, but getting Ank-Morpork civ cities on the circle sea would be next to impossible. Any ideas?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 11:31:07 am »

Well, if we try to stick to just Ankh Morpork itself to start off with.

So, with castes/ mixed race civs, we can probably get somewhere.  Wait, we'll need at least one special orangutang too.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »

Ah, but how will we be able to stop the dwarfs from calling it a monkey, resulting in the destruction of their fortress?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 05:13:49 pm »

Wait, aren't we thinking Rincewind here?  I suppose he's a wizard, but since he can't do any spells...

If he were to appear in this, he could be a megabeast with almost no attack and speed 0  ;D.

I was talking about Mustrum Ridcully (who stopped the time honored tradition of raising in position past the bodies of your predecessors by being pretty much impossible to kill), but I guess Rincewind counts for that as well :D

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 06:04:19 pm »

I dunno, one of the things I like about DF is it's original. Making it into Discworld would kinda make it a copy of a copy...  :-\
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 06:49:53 pm »

I'm pretty sure most of us are just talking modding.  I think it might be all, but I'm not sure.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 06:57:27 pm »

I was talking about Mustrum Ridcully (who stopped the time honored tradition of raising in position past the bodies of your predecessors by being pretty much impossible to kill), but I guess Rincewind counts for that as well
Yeah, it was all change after the "Sourcery" book.  Before then, they were a bunch of ruthless assasins.  Afterwards, a bunch of overfed old men.  Kinda like real university fellows...

Incidentally, for the Bursar, is there some way of having a default Stark Raving Mad?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 10:24:26 pm »

Yeah, in this we are pretty much talking about playing Discworld, rather than 'Dwarf Fortress'. Even though we are playing it in Dwarf Fortress technically, a total conversion mod is exactly that, repurposing an entire game to be converted into a different kind of game, so it isn't like playing original Dwarf Fortress anymore.

It isn't permament, you can always reinstall DF, doesn't hurt anybody as its opt-in, entire point of modding.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15