Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freeeware game podcast  (Read 1139 times)

Necronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Freeeware game podcast
« on: August 03, 2009, 11:22:37 am »

Me and some friends have put together a freeware game podcast where we review freeware games, some new, some old. We just finished our first cast where we covered 4 pretty good freeware gAmes. Anywho, it should be up on iTunes by now. You can find it by searching for the halforum.com podcast and there should be one called "land of the free, home of the save" (not sure if that's the title we're sticking to.)

So far our plan is to a mix of casts where we all bring one less well known game, like this cast, or a cast where we cover a really established freeware game, like dwarf fortress, or battle for wesnoth, or dungeon crawl.

Anywho, as this is the site of probably one of the best freeware games around (tied with wesnoth for me) thought yall mIght have some thoughts on some good games to cover, or interesting ideas for the show, or just general ideas on the concept.

We're definitely going to do a dwarf fortress one, but it's gonna take a while as I'm gonna have to sell the other guys on it. They know enough about the learning curve to be afraid. Although we do have a bloodlines game going on the forum, so I may pull those guys in for a pinch hit.
www.haterade-gaming.com

Get your hate on.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Freeeware game podcast
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 01:44:53 pm »

LCS doesn't have that much of a learning curve. And WWI Medic is the easiet game to understand. Take a look at the Curses section too.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Necronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:06:40 pm »

What is LCS?
www.haterade-gaming.com

Get your hate on.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 03:20:43 pm »

LCS is Liberal Crime Squad, you play as a Liberals trying to conduct political activism through criminal activites, such as terrorism, robbery, kidnappings, etc. Your goal is to kick out the Arch-Conservative President and replace it with an Elite Liberal government. It's a political satire, basically.

ToadyOne made the original version of the game, and it is since been open-source, being updated by Johnantan S. Fox and other people.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Necronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:41 am »

Those both sound really cool, we'll definitely check them out. Does anyone have any feedback on the show that's up right now?
www.haterade-gaming.com

Get your hate on.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:38:52 pm »

Can you put a direct link to the podcast?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:19:58 am »

Sounds good!

Well, there are a few games you definately need to review, aside from DF:

Notrium, Stranded II, Ocular Ink and Wazzal.

Definately those.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Necronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:57:01 pm »

Well, I think the cast is pretty much still born. We were set up to do another show on 5 Days a Stranger, but no one wanted to show up for the next cast. It seems that all the other co-hosts just wanted to talk about games in general, and I really wanted to do something specific to freeware games.  On top of that I am spending a lot more time these days on my website so I don't really have time for it either.

Still though, we may get another show in. Kills me we didn't get to cover any of the greats like Dwarf Fortress, Dungeon Crawl SS, or Wesnoth.  The guys actually boycotted DF from the beginning cause it was too damned hard for them. Anyhow, thanks for the links to those other games. I'll hit them up and put something on my site about them if they rock (which I'm guessing they will since the recommendation comes from a DF fan).

www.haterade-gaming.com

Get your hate on.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:42:33 am »

Hmm.
Yeah, well there are certainly a heck of a load of great games out there. I could start mouthing off a comprehensive list, but meh.

Hope you guys can continue...

If you like, I could help you find some good freeware games and give you my thoughts on 'em.
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 10:48:54 am »

I don't understand why everyone is changing their avatar to look like an evil Terminator.  What's going on?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 11:43:32 am »