Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74

Author Topic: Dwarven king is an...  (Read 538355 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven king is an...
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2009, 02:44:48 pm »

Well, they have to actually be worth that. In that case, no-one would have them. Of course, an inflation model would be nice, but I don't think that's really on the table until the caravan arc gets serious.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2009, 02:48:08 pm »

Well, they have to actually be worth that.

In which case you don't get to set their value, you make them more valuable.  :P

Say, stud them with gems or the ilk.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2009, 02:53:19 pm »

I mean, worth it for their rarity. Remember, currency evolved first as coins of small, valuable metal, and then into promissory notes. In other words, this note, token, or seal can be redeemed from the government for X ounces of gold (or whatever). So for you tin to be 150,000, either a mug of beer will be worth 500,000 or the government must be able to repay 150,000 dorfbucks in material for it. This doesn't mean that you necessarily have to 15,000,000 dorfbucks of material if you make ten coins though, the idea is that soem coins will always be circulating at any time. Of course, is you have 5,000,000 dorfbucks and ten people try to turn in their 150,000 dorfbuck coins on the same day, the economy crashes. That's essentially what happened in 1929.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »

On that note, we need to be able to make coins out of anything. I want to have iron coinage, and bronze and stuff like that. Copper, silver, gold only is fail. Make them out of any material, and you can set the actual monetary value through a screen like the z menu or whatever. Adding to eternal suggestions.

You can make coins out of anything already, no modding needed. They just won't be used for money(which is, imo, currently an advantage if you like coins but want to both use the economy and avoid epic coin scattering).

My last fort minted one stack of electrum coins a year and sealed them in a section of the vaults. An older fort had a noble who liked coins, so I minted them in dwarfy iron when the mandates came up and stashed them in the vault. You could also mint commemorative coins for significant events.

Setting their value, however, strikes me as absurd - not unless we can have asset-backed currencies. As-is they get their value from their composition(and quality/etc modifiers) - or should, anyway. What you're asking for would seem for like a fiat-based currency system, which I'd say is pretty inappropriate for the setting(well, atleast for external trade).

I mean, how realistic would it be to buy out a large caravan with a single stack of tin coins, just because your dwarves claim they're worth, say, ☼150'000?

Sorry, is that not how modern economics works (rhetorical question)? In truth it is mainly other civs that decide how much your money is REALLY worth. You could (and the government does) say that they are worth something different every month, and as a result you will find your trading partners unwilling to trade, or discover that your coins are not worth as much inside the closed economy fort as they are outside it. I think this, mixed with the supply and demand model that Toady (armok be with him) has said he wants to introduce, would make for an excellent aspect of DF. You would need to keep your trading power up if you want to use coins, or you could merely ensure that you meet demand with proper supply and screw the coin-based method of trade.

EDIT: Sensei, it happened in 2008 as well :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2009, 03:29:09 pm »

I mean, worth it for their rarity. Remember, currency evolved first as coins of small, valuable metal, and then into promissory notes. In other words, this note, token, or seal can be redeemed from the government for X ounces of gold (or whatever). So for you tin to be 150,000, either a mug of beer will be worth 500,000 or the government must be able to repay 150,000 dorfbucks in material for it. This doesn't mean that you necessarily have to 15,000,000 dorfbucks of material if you make ten coins though, the idea is that soem coins will always be circulating at any time. Of course, is you have 5,000,000 dorfbucks and ten people try to turn in their 150,000 dorfbuck coins on the same day, the economy crashes. That's essentially what happened in 1929.

Let's... avoid getting into the crash of 1929.

But what you're talking about is an asset-based currency(which would bring about... issues. Like having to keep vaults of material to back every coin you ever mint, including those you exported ten years ago - or such exploits as minting cheap coins backed by fabulous wealth... then selling all the coins at high prices, befor turning around and selling off/etc. the backing wealth, leaving traders(or who ever they pass them on to) holding near-worthless coins. Or just doing whatever you want with it, really, unless you have to worry about folks showing to wanting to redeam it - say, a ☼Throne☼/☼Table☼-backed currency making use of your dining room?  ;D ), which I mentioned.

Setting their value, however, strikes me as absurd - not unless we can have asset-backed currencies.

;)

Sorry, is that not how modern economics works (rhetorical question)?

A fiat-based currency gains value through, essentially, the word of the government, and the faith of the people in that government and(more importantly) it's economy.

It is also wholly inappropriate for DF, IMO, especially being issued by player forts. They are neither stable enough, old enough, or large enough to justify that kind of faith, and it's really rather open to player abuse. Bad inflation? Just add a few more zeros to the denomination of the new lead coins!

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »

It is also wholly inappropriate for DF, IMO, especially being issued by player forts. They are neither stable enough, old enough, or large enough to justify that kind of faith, and it's really rather open to player abuse. Bad inflation? Just add a few more zeros to the denomination of the new lead coins!

That's actually a common response to inflation in real life.  As long as the consequence of doing it (hyperinflation; see 1920s Germany, 1940s Hungary, or recent Zimbabwe for examples) is modeled, of course.

You're right about the forts themselves not being likely able to support their own currency, though.  More likely, they'd use the currency of whichever civ they're a part of (and minting licenses could become a concern in a more extensive system...)
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2009, 04:58:25 pm »

Shouldn't all of this conversation on coinage and economies shift to a different thread? It's fascinating and useful, but a bit off-topic.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2009, 05:30:39 pm »

^ Affirmative. I'll start a new thread if there isn't one already.

EDIT: Started the thread. It can be found here.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:50:02 pm by Lord Dakoth »
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »

Money Crisis?

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2009, 06:06:25 pm »

Well, there's always a way to rectify his low kill count. ;)

Back on topic, I am currently feeding him captured goblins, elves, and other hostiles to skill him up in Hammers. By the time he's finished, he should have quite a kill list.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2009, 07:22:58 pm »

Well, there's always a way to rectify his low kill count. ;)

Back on topic, I am currently feeding him captured goblins, elves, and other hostiles to skill him up in Hammers. By the time he's finished, he should have quite a kill list.

Considering we're talking about an elf here... is the "feeding" part literal?  :P

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2009, 07:35:12 pm »

Blasphemy! HE IS A DWARF.

Come to think of it, have you found him any armor yet? I know you mentioned offing a human or elf siege earlier on.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2009, 08:51:53 pm »

No, the feeding is not literal. As far as I can tell, the cannibalism is a societal trait, not a racial one. All the elves that are part of my civ do not devour their enemies.

Also, no. He simply won't pick up armor, no matter what I do. I believe it has to do something with his size. In order to get him to actually try taking stuff, I need to make him a dwarf using DC. But I think it still considers him to be elf-sized when I do that, so it won't let him put on the armor. But at the same time, it says "Oh, he's a dwarf, so he can't use Large items" so it doesn't even bother checking them. At least that's what I assume.

So far, he hasn't needed it though. At one point, I put him up against three armed goblins at once and he still killed them without a scratch.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2009, 08:56:48 pm »

Oh, and I just noticed this:

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »

That is...

That is a very apt title.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 74