Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74

Author Topic: Dwarven king is an...  (Read 537615 times)

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven king is an...
« Reply #735 on: January 10, 2010, 05:45:43 am »

That looks great, and welcome to the forums.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 10, 2010, 06:19:44 am »

but photoshop is gimp and resizes the photos down considerably.
Photoshop is the Gnu Image Manipulation Program? ...um...
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Zeffrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:48 am »

welcome to the forums...you must finish it...otherwise you will be stalked...by the internet...
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Desiderium

• Bay Watcher
  • [SELECT_SYMBOL:UNTOWARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:04 am »

Photoshop is the Gnu Image Manipulation Program? ...um...

What I MEANT to type was photobucket, and by "gimp", I wasn't referring to the program GiMP, I was saying it's lame, in the sense that it automatically resizes images exceeding a certain size.

Urist McWounded has created a microcline bucket, on the bucket is an image of Urist, Urist is surrounded by the dwarves, Urist is wasting away, The dwarves are working, The bucket is empty.  On the bucket is an image of Urists third finger in dwarf bone.

JubalHarshaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 13, 2010, 12:36:16 am »

Lame post in epic thread. I just like to bump this thread; it rules, all should know of it. It should be stickied!  ;D

And it's hit 50 pages. My work here is done.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:42:41 am by JubalHarshaw »
This is an exceptionally generated World. It menaces with spikes of Gabbro.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 13, 2010, 02:19:42 am »

If all epic dwarf fortress threads should be stickied, we'd have a page worth of them.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 13, 2010, 03:41:57 am »

That's not a bad idea.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 13, 2010, 04:09:13 am »

If all epic dwarf fortress threads should be stickied, we'd have a page worth of them.

That's what the Hall of Legends is for, sort of.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

KaterinnaZ

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 13, 2010, 09:33:03 am »

I only just registered, I've been playing DF for maybe a month and my friend linked me to Cacame Awesomedinade.... I have to say, this is super fabulous and it is, last I saw, in the hall of legends.
Just as it should be.

I've read boat murdered already, now, onto HeadShoots!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:25 am »

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 09:43:22 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 16, 2010, 03:49:08 am »

great stuff, just finished reading thread over three days.

This entire ordeal truly shows that it's entirely worthwhile to dig through the archives of your world just to see what turns up. 
I say this happens because the game creation is based on fractals, which makes anything awesome awesomemedinade, but I digress.

Awesome stories, awesome perspective on what it means to be a dwarf.  This thread makes me proud to be a part of this community.

also, shameless bump.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 16, 2010, 02:24:59 pm »

I'd love to see it finished. It looks very nice so far.

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:09 am »

I really wanted to put all these posts in one place:

Actually, I was wrong about her being a guard for the town. She was actually a wanderer. I've gone back and gotten pictures from the Legends screen.

If you're wondering why is only goes up to 102 (and thus doesn't have Cacame's nickname and growing kill sheet), it's because it's an old save I have specifically to look at the Legends for this world. Didn't feel like going through the entire save scumming process to look at an up-to-date one since it'd be mostly uninteresting.

Let me know if you want any more besides these.

First of all, the man of the hour, Cacame himself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, his wife, Nemo:

The elf that brought about Cacame's hatred of all things elf, Amoya:

The second-most badass elf in the world, the one that killed Amoya, Iwo:
In case you're wondering about Iwo's wife there... Yes, she was also killed by other elves. However, Iwo was there and killed her killer in return (Imiwa).

A few others mentioned in Cacame's history. First, Nisa, the one who managed to rip his lower body (presumably before he discovered his wife had been eaten):

And the elf Cacame was dueling down at the last event, Nithe:
As you can see, the dwarves of the Creation of Ferns are total kill stealers.

Cacame's dad, Fewetha:
Yes, his last name is Spokenthundered. And note what happened to him after he was killed. You will notice a similarity when you see...

Cacame's mother, Osime:

I think this gives us a lot of insight into Cacame. His mother was killed and then eaten by Gibberlings (grotesque creatures that exist to kill, eat, and reproduce), then a year later his FATHER was killed and eaten by them. A decade later, as he is beginning to settle into an easy life as a guard of the town he was born in, his wife was killed and eaten by other elves.

If you're wondering about the rest of Cacame's family, they are all living unimportant lives. Most tragically, they are still living in the elf civilization.
Ok, I looked through his entire family history, up to the origin of the family on both maternal and paternal sides. Incredibly, everyone related to Cacame EXCEPT his brothers and sisters is dead. They were all killed one of two ways: in the war with the dwarves or in a war with the gibberlings (75% of them ended up being eaten, the others killed by gibberlings seemed to avoid being eaten). The split seems to be about 50/50 on who killed them. The vast majority of them aren't all that impressive, some having one or two kills before getting killed themselves.

His brothers and sisters are all still alive and living in one town together and have done absolutely nothing beyond get married. They're also still part of the elven civilization. So when the dwarves came knocking, his brothers and sisters went running and left him behind.

The only member of his extended family who is really notable is his maternal great grandfather, this guy:

He killed one MegaBeast and fought with another. He was also the leader of the elf civ.
Much like all world-generated creatures, he doesn't have likes and dislikes, though he does have a personality. Which I think happens to be very appropriate for an elf who decided to become a dwarf:

Here's the throne. Blackmetal is from the Dig Deeper mod. It's actually not all that awesome, compared to some wacky artifacts I've gotten before.

He has never eaten anyone, though he did participate in numerous battles and does have numerous military skills.

From this and the summary on the wiki ( http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade#Brief_history ) I truly get the impression that Cacame didn't one day all of a sudden decide to be like a dwarf but was raised and trained by them in the society he grew up in - not only that, but whoever must have been his dwarven teachers must have been some really benevolent type who pointed out just what was so horrible about elves and all the good things about dwarves even as he nutured Cacame to maturity, even seeing him get his bride who would later be the worst possible object lesson of everything that is wrong with elves and setting him on his course to become first a dwarven king and The Immortal Onslaught. Revenge isn't enough to explain just how bad ass of a noble he turned out to be compared to the usual insane lot destined for a death trap.

I imagine in the next version of DF, Cacame would lead dwarven armies that make the movie Sparta action look like kindergarten grade stuff in the rule of cool and he would do it to free your particular world from its own barbarity that has so filled him with rage from its injustices not just committed against his own kin but dwarves as well. He is a mother fucking freedom fighter, freeing elves from their savagery by slaughtering them wholesale to put them under the benevolent rule of dwarfs like he once was. He's like a mother fucking Alexander The Great, trying to unite the people of the world under the protection of his bloody hammer, raining judgement on the wicked. Truly, it does seem his final act after freeing his world into a golden age of dwarven benevolence and unity would be to enter a portal to a demonic plane to wage eternal war on their asses, completing his ascendancy to deity in DF along side other DF legends in all their horrible glory.

Hope my little assessment of Cacame Awemedinade, Elf King of The Dwarves, The Immortal Onslaught there from reading this thread and viewing its art comes across as mostly accurate. The character should surely inspire more artistic renditions of his gory glory.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:07:20 am by CanadianWolverine »

vp21ct

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 17, 2010, 12:59:02 pm »

I just freakin joined these forums to say that Cacame is AWESOME!!!!!

CanadianWolverine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 17, 2010, 06:49:33 pm »

I was looking at the entries for Nisa, who harmed Cacame before his wife was eaten, and Nithe who confronted Cacame two years later, they share something in common: Under Related Entities: The Fish of Magic (leader Nisa & member Nithe deceased)

What does Dwarf Fortress have to say about The Fish of Magic since they seem to have a thing against Cacame, since I assuming that Nisa being a leader ordered Nithe into a situation that put that elf against Cacame and his dwarves.

Who else is a member of The Fish of Magic and The Creation of Ferns that Cacame is a leader of?

Also, what related entities is the dwarf Sibrek Handpages who killed Nithe a part of? One of Cacame's I hope. Hmm, comment under Nithe's entry seems to suggest this is the case, in which case it wasn't a kill steal but Sibrek protecting their elf leader.

Hmm, I bet if we but looked a bit closer there are some serious tales of valor and treachery to be had in those histories.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 74