Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 74

Author Topic: Dwarven king is an...  (Read 538326 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven king is an...
« Reply #810 on: March 11, 2010, 03:12:49 am »

Deon thinks elves are blue. Do you really think he'd be faithful to the DF depiction of goblins?

also, mittens? why would your version effect the mod's function? isn't all the content just raw files in text format? Unless the coding system was different between versions...  ???

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 11, 2010, 03:25:18 am »

I have an elf queen (I'm pretty close to having her incoming, and I still haven't carved out her room, much less decorated it...) and she has a dwarven name, as well (Asmel - "merchant").  She is the only elf in legends with the name Asmel, which is held by about 9 dwarves.

Sadly, she's not even remotely as cool as Cacame.  She has nothing but being a farmer to her name.

(As for world history, a nearby elf civ, The Bronze Cobra, somehow ate a goblin fort and a human city really early on, and went on to annihalate an entire dwarf civ.  Because of the power of having all the races in vanilla DF under their control, they pretty much went on a world-conquering spree, stopped only by some goblin civs that have done exactly the same thing.  My legends are filled with elves and goblins slaying each other by the thousands, as those civs have apparently limiltless cannon fodder.  My own civ took an elf city and managed to reclaim some of the fallen dwarf civ's land, but apparently bled out, and the last dwarf king was a fairly decent warrior.

In Asmel's defense, she has not only maintained peace (the old dwarf king signed one before he died), but also done some major construction, creating dwarf cave-roads between the various dwarven cities, so I just presume she's living up to her name, and focusing upon mercantilism.  It may not be as dwarvenly, but sitting back as the elves and goblins kill each other for you, and focusing on getting rich, safe inside the dwarfhomes IS fairly smart...  and pretty much the way I like to play, anyway.)

(Also, thanks to the fact that the mountainrange I embarked on is home to 4 goblin towers, region history involves some absurd number of seiges, all of which go along the lines of "27 elves, 2 golbins, 8 casualties attacked 17 elves, 20 humans, 15 goblins, 5 casualties", with the overwhelming number of my engravings having elves being killed by goblins, and occasionally humans or other elves.)

I think this has to be my favorite battle that took place at the gates of a goblin tower - Ceca Coastalboarded, elf of a goblin civ, defeated an entire elf army single-handedly.  Elves from elf civs SUCK!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 11, 2010, 03:35:17 am »

it would seem that elves tend to become awesome if they are raised by other civs (cacame the epic dwarven elf, ceca the brutal goblin-raised elf)

I guess the elves' dirty hippie culture is the only thing keeping them from conquering the world.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 11, 2010, 03:40:19 am »

That will probably have something to do with the fact that steel weapons and armor are what, almost 3 times better than wooden ones? Elves have superior speed, which translates into 1st hit, which translates into instant death for the target, given enough skill and equipment superiority.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 11, 2010, 04:07:48 am »

That's just one fight, though...

Most of them are something like this:

Here's a large-scale war:

What I think is happening is this:

The Bronze Cobra is a pretty massive elf empire, with human and goblin cities under its control. (It didn't seem able to actually repossess the dwarf cities it conquered, possibly because of an inability to dwell in mountains, but they still took gobbo towers, so I don't know.)  The goblin civs (There are two, Sin of Mold and Crimson Incest, the latter of which is my local gobbo seige civ), however, seem locked into a single smallish mountain range with only room for its four towers, and no expansion, and that mountainrange is surrouneded by forests that the elves hold.  The elves have about 26 settlements in the Bronze Cobra, and another elf civ has 6 settlements nearby, plus there is a 5-settlement human civ that frequently assaults the goblins. 

This basically means that the goblins are hopelessly outnumbered by elves who are, fortunately for the goblins, almost universally untrained mooks in wood armor.  The goblins would still lose if it weren't for the fact that they kidnap.  Since they have so many targets to steal children from, their cities are composed of something like 50 elves, 30 humans, and 20 goblins.  The goblins would die out due to elven numerical superiority, but the goblins turn that back against the elves by just stealing children who grow up to be more kidnappers, who steal children that grow up to be champion guards with 100 elves on their kill list, letting gobbos sit back in their obsidian towers in total comfort while their savage goblinized-elf armies slice through wave after wave of elven attackers. 

It also helps that just because of equipment and defensive bonuses, the elves would be dying something like 7-to-1, anyway, but once a goblinized elf is lucky enough to survive a few battles and starts racking up those kills, virtually all of those guards are going to be champions that are Supergobliny Tough, and can do things like turn back whole armies single-handedly.

edit: Oh, and watch out for those goblinized human champions, they're so hungry, they could eat a couple elves!  I have to wonder if he went specifically for the lovelyshins...

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:17:24 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 11, 2010, 06:09:12 pm »

also, mittens? why would your version effect the mod's function? isn't all the content just raw files in text format? Unless the coding system was different between versions...  ???

I dunno. It just does. Sometimes. Weird stuff affects world gen parameters. Like if temperature is on/off in your init settings.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 11, 2010, 06:57:26 pm »

ah, well. If all else fails I can always upload my fort's save file once I actually attract my civ leader

(I still need to get more exported wealth and build some roads...)

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 11, 2010, 08:59:13 pm »

Yeah, I can't manage to get it to generate her.

Also, I mainly just want to look around the legends. So I don't mind much if you haven't managed to attract her yet.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 12, 2010, 01:04:57 am »

It sounds to me like the Goblins realized that Elves are practically a-dime-a-dozen, and have started a project to breed massive amounts of elves in order to zerg-rush their enemies.

That, my friend, is awesome.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 12, 2010, 07:02:17 am »

Because of the power of having all the races in vanilla DF under their control,
I see no kobolds here. Can they be warred?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 12, 2010, 11:38:44 am »

Because of the power of having all the races in vanilla DF under their control,
I see no kobolds here. Can they be warred?

Actually, I just forgot to mention them, but I saw one cave get revealed, then get swallowed up, too.  I don't think enough of them actually survived or migrated out of the corner of the map they were previously on to make a difference, though.  (That elf civ is 26 settlements strong on a medium-size map, after all, it covers basically the entire western hemisphere.)

Kobolds are generally hiding in caves that other civs only occasionally find.  Until some patrol or something can actually find the kobold nest, they won't be exterminated.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 14, 2010, 10:31:03 pm »

Deon thinks elves are blue.
Only if they are worship Lloth?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 15, 2010, 05:54:11 pm »

Deon thinks elves are blue.
Only if they are worship Lloth?
Drow seem more purple to me. like, a dark purple.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 15, 2010, 06:00:57 pm »

Dn'D drow are greyish black with red eyes.

I did mod in Dark elves on my version of DF, however... They were purple with green eyes.

Deon's elves have been drawn as six-fingered greenskins and tatooed blue people reminiscient of the NAVI in avatar. nothing like drow.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 16, 2010, 12:15:44 am »

Drow sound like they would make a great ambush. Imagine 50 stealthed drow in steel armor riding into combat on giant cave spiders.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 74