Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 74

Author Topic: Dwarven king is an...  (Read 535777 times)

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven king is an...
« Reply #420 on: August 28, 2009, 02:09:07 am »

Either sounds fine.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 28, 2009, 02:21:46 am »

Need to add a prefstring to Elves so you can dorfs who "Like Elves for the way they scream when they die." or something similar :D

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 28, 2009, 02:22:47 am »

There is a VERY important difference, in DF grammar.

An Elven Corpse is just a corpse that is elven (a unique object).

An Elf Corpse is a corpse made out of elf.

SO, if you were to add 'Elf Shirts' instead of 'Elven shirts' know that you imply shirts made out of ambiguous elf parts rather than of the elven craft. Up to you which is more desirable.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 28, 2009, 02:24:20 am »

There is a VERY important difference, in DF grammar.

An Elven Corpse is just a corpse that is elven (a unique object).

An Elf Corpse is a corpse made out of elf.

SO, if you were to add 'Elf Shirts' instead of 'Elven shirts' know that you imply shirts made out of ambiguous elf parts rather than of the elven craft. Up to you which is more desirable.

It can b Elf Leather Armor tiem noaw?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2009, 02:26:48 am »

By all means.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 28, 2009, 03:57:51 am »

Reg is disturbing. There's something unusually wrong about liking chimpanzees for their antics, while at the same time liking dead elves.

I bet he takes care of Cacame's zombie wyvern.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 28, 2009, 04:03:03 am »

Reg is disturbing. There's something unusually wrong about liking chimpanzees for their antics, while at the same time liking dead elves.

I bet he takes care of Cacame's zombie wyvern.

Maybe the antics in question are when the Chimpanzees tear the arms off Elves?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 28, 2009, 04:06:38 am »

They are vicious little man-things, aren't they.

They kill and eat baboons in real life, so it's not too hard for me to see them killing Elves.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 28, 2009, 04:18:59 am »

Chimpanzees, being omnivores, will kill for food as well as for defence, and being relatively intelligent they will also kill for fun. Life is like that; it devotes vast amounts of time and resources into killing off other life.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 28, 2009, 12:01:38 pm »

intelligence can be pretty easily judged by 2 things:

do they fuck for fun?
do they kill for fun?

If answer to both is yes, the species is intelligent. Bonus points if they don't distinguish between the two.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2009, 12:11:38 pm »

I would love to read more stories about him.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2009, 12:27:35 pm »

Don't forget elves are at peace with nature. So at the very least the chimpanzees don't kill and eat them. I can imagine something like this though:

Chimpanzee: *steals food*
Elf: "Please do not do that, nature child, it is bad for us..."
*throws sapling at elf and runs off with food*
"No, the trees are our friends..."
*comes back with group of chimpanzees*
"Oh, I see you have come to join us with your family... let us share and-"
*knocks over elf and pees on him, takes the rest of the 'kosher' plants*
"Why are you disquieted, young chimpanzee?"

:)

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2009, 02:25:13 pm »

Hail Elf King Cacame Awemedinade, killer of all that is Elvenly.
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 28, 2009, 05:03:02 pm »

intelligence can be pretty easily judged by 2 things:

do they fuck for fun?
do they kill for fun?

If answer to both is yes, the species is intelligent. Bonus points if they don't distinguish between the two.

I'm pretty sure Chimps are "yes" for both questions.

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 28, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »

The latest story can be found here. Obviously, much of it is the invention of my own mind, though at the very least, a goblin siege did show up as I finished tearing down the very last bit of scaffolding and was preparing to take pictures.

About the Colossus of Cacame:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The colossus is 33 z-levels tall, from the very bottom to as far up in the sky as I could build it. It's about 32 tiles wide and 8 tiles thick at it's widest points.

His cape is made of solid gold. It took 949 bars of gold to forge. The vast majority of that gold was home-smelted. The head of his hammer is made of mithril with an iron band around it, spike at the top, and handle. That's 132 bars of mithril and 37 bars of iron.

His armor and helmet are made of obsidian. I'm not even going to attempt to calculate or count how many stones it took. It was a lot of them. The horns on his helmet are cinnabar. His flesh is forged of platinum. 33 bars in total. His eyes are clear glass blocks. Behind his eyes are pools of magma that were pumped from the pipe a fair distance away. Sadly, Visual Fortress doesn't display this as two huge glowing orbs of elf-hating malice.

Five dwarves were killed building the project, mostly due to my own mistakes. Three died due to deconstruction of the scaffolding being done in the wrong order. One was on top of the scaffolding and simply fell, the other was on the bridge and got sucked knocked off the side by falling debris, and the third was beneath the scaffolding and was crushed at the bottom. The other two simply died because of ambushes that got in while I was constructing it and had moved my guard animals that served as an early detection system.

All visitors to the fort must first pass through the colossus's legs before making it in. I imagine this is an effective tactic of psychological warfare against the goblins and elves.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:01:52 pm by Holy Mittens »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 74