Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An odd river.  (Read 1857 times)

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An odd river.
« on: November 17, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »

Took a shot in Stonesense since it's hard to describe but this is one odd river/waterfall.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An odd river.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 06:25:53 pm »

What's the area under the river like?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 06:38:51 pm »

I had one like this once a long time ago.

I was going to post it and say "mine's weirder," but then I saw the picture and I was all "holy carp it's practically the exact same phenomena this happened more than once"

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-787-thedementedbrook

If my starting dwarves didn't die in a series of fires related to modding without fully gasping the consequences of making a giant spider whose silk is constantly on fire, that would have made an awesome entrance.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

That's pretty freaking awesome.

I think I'm going to artificially do that with the next waterfall I find.

Edit: If I put some bars or floor grates "on" the waterfall, would it be passable to both dwarves and the water? This also would make flooding my entrance a whole lot easier. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:49:53 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:29 pm »

That looks like the beginnings of a megaproject to me...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:04:51 pm »

What? My new fort's waterfall entrance? Not really.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:16:18 am »

This is what happens when the area around the river erodes but the river's materials themselves don't. I thought it was fixed.

Report it as a bug?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »

This is how small streams often look in hilly areas, there's always only one waterfall in every overworld tile. You either get these aquaducts or sheer canyons. Possibly both if the pathing god hates you.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 10:24:45 pm »

This is how small streams often look in hilly areas, there's always only one waterfall in every overworld tile. You either get these aquaducts or sheer canyons. Possibly both if the pathing god hates you.

Does he take blood sacrifices like Armok, or do I have to make a giant labyrinth to appease him?

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 12:06:12 pm »

Does he take blood sacrifices like Armok, or do I have to make a giant labyrinth to appease him?

Make a labyrinth and fill it with blood of elves and goblins.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:57:46 pm »

That's it? Nothing unusual?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 01:33:10 am »

it gets odder in frozen biomes. you can get a big bridge thing of frozen river wandering around with stone banks on either side of it but no ground underneath it.

also if you try and get dwarves walking on grates that have lots of running water on them it gets very spammy, as the dwarves get knocked around a lot and cancel their jobs / fall unconcious / drown. people used to do things like that a lot to keep their dwarves clean in versions past.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 08:27:50 pm »

Any chance you could perhaps upload the save?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 08:40:54 pm »

Seems to me that that old bug where rivers would maintain their source height all the way to the ocean may be back, at least partially.  That's what those old bugged rivers used to look like.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!